Spammed by an avatar who hasn't been online since last year!

Amanda Dench

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here we go, SL gets stranger and stranger.  Today I was spammed in IM by an avatar who was in my group, they sent a link to bhavanipower etc.  This avatar hasn't been online since August last year (I checked all the groups they were in).  So my question is how did they manage to IM me?  Anybody else have any idea? :matte-motes-agape:

Amanda Dench wrote:

Here we go, SL gets stranger and stranger.  Today I was spammed in IM by an avatar who was in my group, they sent a link to bhavanipower etc.  This avatar hasn't been online since August last year (I checked all the groups they were in).  So my question is how did they manage to IM me?  Anybody else have any idea? :matte-motes-agape:

a griefer now can send a spamm automatic 24 hours all time, and they dont need be long on, the trick is they put a name in a cube or object with spammer key script in any area, try to block the object, and maybe the problems is gone, you can track the object name in the main chat and block and track, and can see who is, and you can report the problems, and be you you like to lindens them, they're goin to solve your problem quick, some times mute and block object do not works. but you can try.:matte-motes-angry:

This option has been around since I came into SL in 07. it's not new. it's just not exploited much anymore, since typically it hits the grey goo fence.   so they have it set on timers and it spams, stops and spams more, all using the scripting functions.   so block and mute.  if you have a good viewer that has spam protection turn it on, you wont even see it then.

If it was from an object with the same name as the AV then it wouldn't have to be on your land it could be anywhere, but there the offline IM would also tell you the owner of the object and its location.

Another posibility ....  have you sent out any group notices recently?

I've never tried, but wonder if it's possible to reply to a group notice them via email in the same way you can with offline IM's, and if so what does the message get sent to the group or just the original sender?

The IMs that I received also went to my email and are shown below, I've crossed out the name of the Avatar and most of the web address they sent me. 

The avatar whose name I crossed out and  sent this hasn't been online since 13th August 2013, I checked all the groups they were in.

I have sent out group notices, so maybe the messages below were sent in the same way you can with offline IMs.  

I'm a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to scamming methods, and usually if I do get scammed I always mute, but I thought this one was a bit different. 

Thanks again everyone :matte-motes-grin:

[4:45] XXXXXXX: ===== Forwarded Message: http://bhavanipXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[4:45] XXXXXXX: ===== Forwarded Message: http://bhavanipoweXXXXXXXXXXX

Amanda Dench wrote:

Um... did you block/mute them?  Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.