Make me look like I know what I'm doing?

MIstahMoose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm probaby going to scar some of your eyes who only like to look at perfect avis :)

Can you fashion geniuses help me create an extremely nice looking avatar?

This is what I currently look like in-world at three days.

Snapshot_002.png

Snapshot_001.png

While I do like fantasy themes, I would like to look as professional as possible. Someone who you'd be impressed to see their avatar if they showed up to help you with a product.

And if making a full mesh avi is the way I need to go just let me know, only thing stopping me is the fact that RIGGING FOR SECONDLIFE IS STUPID.

Anyhow, Thanks in advance for your reply/recommendations :)

Alright, I'll browse the blog and see if I can find anything. I keep seeing some semi-nice skin and shapes but then whatever they add makes it extreme and not so nice looking (Huge gauges for instance) and they don't include skin in the description of the outfit :(

Not all include the skin in the description, but a lot do... you just have to look around a bit.  Once you do, go to skin stores and try on demos of various skins from various places.  Try them on with various shape demos, in different combinations, until you come up with something you like (unless you're planning on creating the shape yourself).

You'll also want to consider investing in some better, more photo-realistic eyes... they make a world of difference. This (link) is where I get mine, for instance.

...Dres

The eyes need to be a little narrower. They should be about one eye width apart. The head width at eye level should be about 5 eyes wide. There are cases where the temple width is less than an eye width though. Also, the SL camera has a lot of fish-eye when you zoom into the face and that may be causing your eyes to look wide.

The whites of your eyes are also very white and the wide eyes also show more of the white area. I would look for more realistic eyes with more built in shading.

I also have a problem with your forehead. It seems to be bent inward and the hairline seems a bit low. It may be the design of that hair you are using. I would look for a similar hair style but with more detail.

I like the jawline and mouth placement but the tip of the nose seems a little too forward.

The clothes look great and the arms and hands look good too. Just make sure they are long enough with wrists to crotch level and finger tips to mid thigh.

Animations in your animation overrider can really make your avatar go from a robot to almost real. I would shop around for the best stand and walk animations you can find.

There is no such thing as a "perfect avi" - some people who think they do (like some of the "fashionistas") look horrible...to me; and that is what is important - that you like how you look.

As Dresden said, you look amazing for only 3 days in world.  I enjoy Medieval looks as well and your outift looks great.  The main thing for now is probably looking for a skin that you like and hair. 

Welcome to SL and enjoy. :)

ETA:

This is the Linden starter avatar I chose when I joined SL in 2007:

Cz Default Av.JPG

Starter avatars have come a loooong way!!!   Then I spent one entire day trying to make my avatar look *ahem* "better"; in my defense, this is before I stepped foot off Help Island and realized one could buy avatar items, clothes, etc. and had no idea there was anything such as "prims" and "flexis" and came up with this:

Newbie.jpg

I was going for a certain look for the rp I was into when I joined SL but ummm...well....do you feel better now? ;)

(Fortunately I didn't look this way long.  Once I got into SL "proper" I was taken on a shopping trip by some members of my rp community and learned what an AO is, marveled at prim hair (flexi was still pretty new), the flexi skirts, etc.  I searched a long time to find a skin I liked and within a month look good (to me)....for 2007.  I have continued to tweak my avatar over the years but am still using a freebie shape I was given in 2007...and I probably still tweak it every few months or so.)

You should really visit the We Love Roleplay event. This is monthly, so I assume that the selection will change very soon. If you see things you like in the December collection, go there ASAP. http://seraphimsl.com/2013/12/04/we-love-role-play-5/

If you miss it out, the items are out for full price in the stores later. You might want to take the landmark to stores you like, to see their full selection.

The Muses is great if you will look formally styled without armor. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/111174?search%5Bcategory_id%5D=10&search%5Bmaturity%5D=General&search%5Bpage%5D=1&search%5Bper_page%5D=12&search%5Bstore_id%5D=111174

The Mens Department has a good selection of modern outfits, but also hair and skin. I would just hint there is three skins for sale ther in January, and the very orange tanned skin shown with brass colored hair don't impress me *cough*.  http://seraphimsl.com/2014/01/05/the-mens-department-smashes-into-the-new-year/ Modern male avatars tone down on the orange and pick a more neutral tint.

I must compliment you. You have a nice built shape, the skin, hair and outfit is really good. You look like you are older in SL. You have a good idea of how to make an impressive avatar. You should look into the possibility of layering tattoo layers, by choosing "add" instead of "wear". This way you can wear a hairbase that soften the hairline in the forehead. These tattoo layers can give you an opening for customization, with facial hair, scars, tattoos etc.

If you really want to stand out, there is the possibility of using mesh parts like hands and feet. You will have to decide if it's worth it, but the hands and feet is very ugly on the default avatar. http://slinkstyle.com/tag/hands/

Using a skin that has appliers for hands and feet makes fitting them so easy. The skin texture is applied on the mesh body parts, not just the color but veins, birthmarks and highlight/shine, creating a smooth and almost impossible to see match. Unfortunally few male skin makers has this up, but Clef De Peau and Redgrave has it. I encourage more male skin makers to go ahead. The female sin market is filled up with appliers, and personally I don't buy skins anymore is they don't have appliers. I think the male skin market will go the same way, because men will be more picky about details. Using mesh ears, hands, etc is a step up in customization.

It's also possible to use mesh attachments without going all crazy. These are the unisex simple ears from Mandala. My male alt wears hairbase, two facial hairs, and an eyebrow scar layered over an Ispachi Bjorn skin. I would recommend this skin if they had appliers for mesh hands. I want to use them, but I need appiers first. So I am in the market for a new skin on him.

ismall _002.jpg

Fruk Face Fuzz - Heavy stubble

A.G. Magnus Facial Hair - Chin #1 (Ginger - thickness)

VCD - Express Yourself - Scar - Eyebrow Cut - LEFT - a

Hairbase TYLER - Caramel - REDGRAVE

[MANDALA]SIMPLE_EARS_HUTUU

Adjunct - New Browline Readers - Black

[Anara]Custom Eyes

Hair TYLER - Caramel*REDGRAVE*

[Deadwool] Gloster jacket - black - M

ISPACHI Skin BJORN Pale : Hair/Shaved

Shape by me.

This is an older look, and I see that this skin is a bit more tanned then what I prefer today... :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Or it can be the sunset windlight setting. No postprosessing. I was going for a "Blood and Sand" look as you understand...

The real star here is the collar, I was looking everywhere for a "right" look for a gladiator, not a feminine thing. It was sold by ViGo, but I can't see it on the Marketplace. The armor is from Calamity Boram. Double layer of scars here too, one made by Zasta Korobase that I can't find again and one from Sinistyle. The injured eye is made smaller when editing the shape, and the mesh eye here has a darker schlera to make it a bit different from the other.

bloodandsand.jpg

Snapshot_001.png

Still need to find a better hair that is the style I want, but I think I've done pretty good so far! I like how I look (Almost)!
I can't find any dirt/ash tattoos, and im aiming to look sort of rugged/blacksmith type. So I guess I'll look into creating Tattoo layers? Shouldn't be hard to do a little photoshop ash, Just black! :P

I made some tattoo layer, but that's years ago. I downloaded Another Skins Starlight files, https://sites.google.com/site/another/resources

I made an eyeliner for a skin with blue eyeliner that I wanted to replace with black, so I opened the Face template, turned off all layers until I had only the eyeliner. Adding a new layer, I filled the inside of the eye with black and draw on the outside. . Saved it as "Save For Web & Devices" in PNG-24, size 512 x512. Uploaded it and used it on tattoo layer. You can do the same with the body, I would make only a new layer since you don't want eyeliner... :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I don't remember more than that, I am too busy to make stuff for myself anymore. I found out that I have so little time left to play that I can buy things instead. Dirt, blood, freckles and scars are unisex so if you see them modeled on a female, you can wear them too. 

Thanks for the links :D
I really like that amacci hair, I'll have to check it out when I get back from work tonight. Hopefully that hair comes with a hair base, or hopefully i'll be able to find/make a hairbase with the other link you sent me :D You've been so helpful. I'm super excited to make this character even better now :D
(Though I've probably already spent more than I should have in SL!)

If you are short on money, go to Exile and pick up a box of free hairbases in all colors. You can wear one of those with the Amacci hair, because Amacci hairbases is not free. Truth hair should have a set of free hairbases too.

Others you can have is these - but I don't think they look natural. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/eep-hair-bases-female-FREE/4552624

These have a better hairline: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CaTwA-HairBaseFatPack-Free-Gift/2130071

Don't worry about the female models. Mens hairbases isn't much different, some has a bit of beard painted on by the ears, else they are the same. If you go for mohawk, you would need a buzz cut, and they are hard to find for free. But you should be fine with just a wisp of hairbase showing on the forehead.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.