Child av = RL criminal? Please help me understand.

JoshuaGibson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

jwenting wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Nobody has said its a good thing to go into a sex club, when being a childavatar. The whole thread here is about something totally different, but I guess you didn't bother to even read the OP.

As for your general opinion: I disagree, expect for the sexclubs. Behind those avatars are still adult users, who should be able to go to some musicclub and listen to their favorite singer or DJ.

However, rightly or wrongly, the presence of child avatars on an adult sim sometimes worries owners about where the child avatars might end up, and cand also make other visitors and staff uncomfortable.    That's the reason many adult sims ban child avatars altogether -- after all, if you want to go to a club to listen to your favourite singer, it's surely no great hardship to do it using an adult avatar.

it's far worse. Child avatars are being used to blackmail sim owners, or try to get them banned. People make one on a throwaway account, go into an A rated sim, use the sex toys, make screenshots, and file an AR against the sim owner.

Rince and repeat witrh a number of avatars and the sim owner is in serious trouble with LL.

Friend of me has experienced that who owns a number of A rated sims, and we now have a policy of banning child avatars, a policy that's announced to all incoming visitors.

LL no longer bothers us, the child avatars still try to sneak in though.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are people so completely obsessed with child avatars they have utterly insane definitions of what those may be. And that includes defining anyone under 2m tall as a child avatar, and in one case I experienced myself anyone without mesh boobs inflated to their maximum size was banned as a child avatar.

Both come from a perverted misreading of the LL guidelines for determining what a child avatar actually is.

Blackmail/Bribery needs to be clearly added as a violation of the Community Standards. 

When Junkyard Blues was being griefed, the griefers tried extorting Kiff & Dina saying they would leave them alone if they were paid off.  It was the opinion of legal counsel that this was a violation of RL laws.  But of course we know the difficulty of pursuing something like this. 

I guess because it is (may be?) a violation of RL laws Linden Lab may treat it as a violation of the TOS.  However Kiff & Dina did not get the impression from LL that LL did treat it this way. 

I don't know any more how we could lobby LL to add this or if they would even respond.  Sux big time.

JoshuaGibson wrote:

I encountered someone inworld today who told me that ALL child avs should be banned from the SL grid and imprisoned. This person made no mention of any specific behavior practiced by child avs.  I don't understand this position.

Some a dem folk is just nuts.

We live in a world where people much prefer judging others for what they are, rather than who they are.

Looking at a certain type of AV and saying "YOU who wear that are THIS" gives people a sense of comfort in passing a 'what they are' judgement they feel they can safely make when so many other forms of 'whatism' have become distasteful.

They would much rather pass blanket bias, than learn about each individual.

Usually those people are the same people who think that sl is all about sex. Don't worry about it. I don't associate with the lil ones but there is nothing wrong with it. Yes bad things do happen in sl but hardly ever IMHO when it comes to that. Negative thinking causes nasty attitudes. Just let it flow in one ear and out the other.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG people, people, people, you all are making all of us child avatars sound like a horrible disease that should be wiped off the SL planet which is not even fair because we are all being judged because of a few bad apples.

Yes I agree there are a few out there that are here for bad reasons but there are some of us who play kids for therapeutic reasons. I for one play a child avatar and since I started playing I have changed so much for the better and in ways that therapy (counseling and meds) was not able to help me. Playing a child in SL has helped me reclaim my childhood and help me with the pain and the loss of what I endured growing up. My SL mommy just recently has even pointed out to me how much I have changed for the better and how much I have grown since I started RPing a child.

Not all of us are pedos or perverts or anything like that. RPing a child is fun. We have families that love us and nurture us and give us the love and nurturing that we didn't get from our RL families. I for one was very abused in every way growing up. i've never hidden that. I was never told I was loved, etc. etc. etc. But since I started RPing a child, I got a family, I get told every day how much I'm loved, I'm held, I don't get spanked, or molested, or harmed in any way. So again, it's a way to reclaim what I didn't have as a child. Sure it's not real but it is real (if that makes sense). I have a notecard I'm always ready to hand out in game to anyone who has a question about child avatars and why I play a child avatar and I will paste that here for you.

Many judge us for playing a child and thinks it's disgusting or what not, but what about you that play furies, or those of you who are into BDSM, or into the Tiny's or some of the other stuff? Do you not think that maybe perhaps some might find that just a big creepy too? Seeing a wolf or a dog or even a rabbit walking around or dancing isn't exactly thrilling for me to watch either. Knowing Jolly Jenny or Screwy Lewy are into BDSM doesn't exactly thrill me either. in fact, I find it repulsive but I don't go saying.... hey, they should be banned and locked up..... I also find sex sims and sex clubs, etc. also repulsive but again, I don't say "hey, let's get together and get them banned from SL and have them prosecuted".

So my point is, we all play SL our own way and we play SL the way we want for our own reasons. if there is a sick **bleep** out there, then report the MOFO, don't judge the rest because there's a rotten apple in the bunch because not everyone is like that. It's not fair to everyone else.

Anyways.... here is the notecard I hand out in game to anyone that might have questions about why I RP a kid.

First and foremost, I enjoy playing a child.

People have asked me (and I get this a LOT) why do I play a child avi in SL? And my answer is this (like many who play child avi's) I, like many did not have a good childhood so playing a child avi is my way of reclaiming what I lost or did not have. For me, it is very therapeutic and has changed me for the better. I LOVE playing a kid and it's really a LOT of fun. I don't do it to see what I can get or how much or anything like that because I could care less about all that. I do it because it's fun and therapeutic for me.

Some say... "Why not see a RL professional to help"... I have! Been there, done that. I've even been in groups, but therapy and groups can only do so much for you. Sometimes you just need something else that's missing, and for me, being an SL kid and playing a little child is what was missing for me because as I stated previously, it has helped me to reclaim what I didn't have or lost.

My SL family do know for a fact I am adult because I have spoken in voice chat and/or on the phone with them. I've never kept my identity a secret from any of them. However, in open chat, I do stay in character and sometimes even in IM, but when I think it's necessary, I do step out of character, like if I'm dealing with a customer, or whatever.

Now I admit, some adults do play a kid to see what they can get, and believe me, in my year + playing a kid, I've seen some real loo loos that just have no business playing a kid but not every SL kid is like that. I'm not saying I'm perfect in any way and never claim to be,

When I see an SL kid ask their SL parents for money, clothing, toys, etc. I just cringe because in my opinion, it's wrong and my parents & family would be the first to tell you that I've never asked for anything and never will. I would go without before I'd ask them to give me money or buy me something.

Don't forget too, some of these kid avis are also detectives/cops under cover to weed out the predators.

One night, I was doing sculpty MM board runs and landed at this sculpty place and when I landed I landed on top of this guy who was totally naked and wouldn't move so I could stop floating in the air, finally after a few minutes, he did finally move and just then my SL mommy landed beside me and right away, that guy disappeared and another guy landed who was also completely nude ( out of respect and privacy for this store and sim owner I will keep their identity private) and this guy made a B-line right for me and saw that I was a kid avi and right in front of my SL Mommy asked ME if I wanted to have sex. Thankfully she was there with me to witness this and ripped him a new butt. While she was ripping him a new butt, I sent in an AR and contacted the sim owner and told her what had happened and showed her the logs and she immediately banned the guy and we are very thankful that she took this issue serious and took this action. I have also contacted 2 other sim owners that get a lot of kid avis there and gave them this persons name and showed them the logs so that they could be on the look out for them as well.

So, before you judge someone for RPing as a child avi, just remember, they can be an undercover cop/detective or (like me) they are doing it for therapeutic reasons.

And this I found in SL somewhere............

Why be a kid?

I know at first glance it seams pretty weird, a bunch of adults playing kids, its almost creepy even. Now lets put the first impression aside, clear your mind and think. Whether or not you had a good childhood try to imagine your self a kid again living an awesome kids life, it looks fun? yes? If your still not getting it let me continue....
You had a long day at work, you had chores to do, food to cook, all kinds of worries and responsabilities. You just want to be carefree, worry free, and just have fun. You get on sl and its just X-rated this, drama filled that, and some creepers tryin to meet you rl. Well why not be a kid, give it a try, its all fun and games, no creepers picking you up, no more X-rated what nots, no dance club drama, just fun and games. Ya ya ya, I know its not for everyone, but for some it even helps with childhood issues. We just behave as kids. Tell me whats so bad about that. If you don't get it, Its really just your loss :)

Anyways, I hope I have answered some of your questions. :)

miranda Sapphire wrote:

OMG people, people, people, you all are making all of us child avatars sound like a horrible disease that should be wiped off the SL planet which is not even fair because we are all being judged because of a few bad apples.

Just as you believe(and I agree) others should not assume all child avatars are run by, well, sick, people...you should stop assuming that all(or even most) people actually assume that. The truth is the majority of residents do NOT think that way. I am not saying you haven't run across them, but there certainly are no more of them than there are any other group of people with assumptions just as harsh. "Many" is a subjective term, and it doesn't  apply here. "Many" people do not think that of those playing child avatars. That is a fact. Some, yes, many, NO. But, should you run across someone with that opinion, you can just as easily ignore it as you would anything else. You can try to help them understand too, if that's your wish, but they're as entitled to their opinions as you are yours(whether or not you agree). I don't like that opinion myself, but, what can ya do?

I have a child avatar myself, though she hasn't been on in a few years. I also have many friends and others I've met who have played child avatars either at one time or another, or exclusively. Few of them have actually run into more than maybe a few, if any, people with that sort of mindset. So you really shouldn't be worried about child avatars being painted in a bad light. Quite a few of them post on these forums too. While we've had posts-like this one-describing these kinds of encounters, they are few and far between. Many of those who play child avatars have even come on, multiple times, to reassure other residents that these encounters are neither frequent, nor "normal", under any circumstances. Unless you're going to places where you'd be more likely to encounter folks who are very anti-child(not really sure how to better word that phrase there, I don't mean people who hate children, I mean people who just don't necessarily want to be around them).

Bottom line, few people are "painting" child avatars in a bad light, even fewer actually think badly of them. You really don't have to worry about this so much. You should never assume those few make up any sort of large population in sl. They simply do not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.