pixlie1488312667

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

KlistiesSeMio Ewinaga wrote:

Even tho I've more or less become a full-time creature of sorts, I do have many RP alts that offer a full range of human shapes and features and tones.

I find the thing that irks me MOST is the lack of African skins. Now, don't get these confused with the 'Well I started making a white person and tinted it dark that's close, right?' skins, because those hurt my eyes.

I'm talking ones that actually take into account NOSE SHAPE and SHADING!! I think I've come across maybe three up-to-date skins that don't have a caucasian nose on a black skin. The Shops - old body co I think - have lovely dark tones, (however their separate skin/head thing makes for an ugly white neck line so I don't use their skins) that don't ignore the nose shape. I find it hard to make a decent looking black character who isn't overly muscled to the point of it looking painful, or ones with a decent body that then ignore the facial structure completely.

I've also seen so many people who don't have any idea what a body even looks like and I just want to drop modify shapes on them and run away. I never had an issue with the sliders because I was used to the Sims and various RPG games. :B

When I first started 6 1/2 years ago, there were few good African skins. One of my best friends in SL looked high and low for a good one, and ended up a very tan white girl...we (she and I) used to call her my racially ambiguous twin...lol! 

Thank you for your comments on your previous post, Aislin.  I agree with this as well (and others who have posted about the difficulty in finding good African skins).  Perhaps two sides of the same coin but when I began SL (which sounds like almost the same time as you - my rez date is May 1, 2007) THE predominant look, speaking human avatar, was "Caucasian Burnt Tanned" so trying to find something outside of that "norm" was difficult.

Edit: grammar

You're spot on especially about the second opinion. I had a balloon head but couldn't see it until someone called me a bobble head. I asked my bestie on here and she told me straight. It was such a small change but one I couldn't see due to hair and the love of my avi. 

To the OP however don't let other people dictate what is pretty and what is not. At the end of the day you have to be happy with your avi. 

black_005.png

The first skin here is from Pink Fuel (Kumi) - it still has a few nose issues but overall the face shading is very well done. I think the reason for this is the skin was defaulted for a WOC avatar (asian), so it doesn't have the caucasian shading as default.

The other skin is from the Shops - their darkest line (#36) - and obviously one of the (two at the time I bought this) black skins. As you can see the nose is great, the cheeks are great everything really. I just get this white line around my neck on this avi since the head part is a tattoo layer, so I don't use him as much. Ah, well.

• 4 weeks later...

Orca Flotta wrote:

Yeah, Tricky Boucher is regarded as one of the best skin makers by many bloggeristas. Obviously for some reason. I loved my Belleza skin for a while but became tired of the very dark complexion of  mine.  Am now more than happy with [the skinnery] skins...But the shape was much too tall, had much to much bust and the knees were a bit knocked, aka x-legs. So I totally modded that shape and ended up with a much too big head. So I started modding the face as well and now there's nothing reminding of the original expensive shape left anymore but the fat lips. :smileyhappy:

I wanted a medium skintone, not tan but not pale. The "sunkissed" ones at Belleza were exactly that for me. I will keep the skinnery skins in mind when I go skin hunting again. I may have been there but I don't remember (I went to so many places). As far as modifying my shape, I can't even begin to tell you how much time I spent doing that LOL. I tried a few differnet template shapes before I found one that I liked then spent a long time tweeking it.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

LoriLexa wrote:

so, overall I recommend Belleza, my favorite skin there is Elle.

That's my skin!!!  (I couldn't recall the name when I wrote my initial posts.) 

LOL, that skin fit my shape perfeclty. I especially love the softer eyebrows of the Elle skin.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.