Feeling Isolated....no thanks to the inbox.

Tex Monday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone...

Wonder if anybody else has been having issues with the "My second life" inbox?  I spend a good part of my day on there sending messages (since I can't use the SL viewers at work), but for the last few days, I haven't been able to send any messages to existing threads (I receive a "javascript:void0" or something like that error) and the button that usually says "New Message" is gone. Has anyone else been having these problems or did I do something unknown to screw up my inbox?

Thanks for the help....

Edited to correct the error message....

I don't use the inbox there, so I've no idea.

However you should test JS support on your work browser, using a site such as this:

http://www.adspeed.com/Knowledges/262/Problems_Account/howto_test_browser_supports_JavaScript.html

Click the button, check PASS or FAIL.

If it fails, you'll need to re-enable Javascript in whichever browser you're using.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I don't use the inbox there, so I've no idea.

However you should test JS support on your work browser, using a site such as this:

Click the button, check PASS or FAIL.

If it fails, you'll need to re-enable Javascript in whichever browser you're using.

Thanks Freya...

Tried that and it passed. I'm thinking that it's an SL issue. I tried sending a message from the browser on my iphone and I got the same kind of error. Oh well...guess I'm going to be cut off from civilization for a while....

After investigation...

Looks like they've disabled inbox messaging via my.secondlife.com. I would take a guess and say it's probably related to the fact that unstoppable abuse is possible via this mechanism.

If so, excellent.

However, I'd be skeptical that this feature will return. Might be more suitable to look into a sustainable method of messaging, either via web-based chat or secure IM.

After investigation...

Looks like they've disabled inbox messaging via my.secondlife.com. I would take a guess and say it's probably related to the fact that unstoppable abuse is possible via this mechanism.

That makes sense...can you direct me to where you saw this through LL?

If so, excellent.

Sorry, have to disagree. As usual, one bad apple ruined it for everyone else. What's next..deleting the forums because of all the Mubai Prostitute ads????

However, I'd be skeptical that this feature will return. Might be more suitable to look into a sustainable method of messaging, either via web-based chat or secure IM.

Unfortunately, those don't work for me. I tend to use the mysecondlife.com page while at work and webbased chat or IM's won't work for me.

Thanks for you assistance though...

Tex Monday wrote:

After investigation...

Looks like they've disabled inbox messaging via my.secondlife.com. I would take a guess and say it's probably related to the fact that
is possible via this mechanism.

That makes sense...can you direct me to where you saw this through LL?

I can't do much more than tell you what I can see from here. LL haven't released any information on updates to my.secondlife.com. I am assuming their motives using what I know of their SOP - something is clearly an exploit (it has been for some time), they remove functionality in order to repair. my.secondlife.com does not have a development schedule, it is unlikely that time will be assigned to restore functionality to an EOL system.

Evidence enough to satisfy my curiosity can be seen by looking at any https://my.secondlife.com/user.name page while logged in, the Message DDL looks like this:-

<em>Message</em></a><ul class='menu'><li><a href="secondlife:///app/agent/<REDACTED>/im" data-category="users" data-event="im" data-source="profile">IM</a></li></ul>

There is no longer any 'Inbox Message' feature from the Message DDL - only IM.

This has been removed by LL, but I can only guess why.

Tex Monday wrote:

Sorry, have to disagree. As usual, one bad apple ruined it for everyone else. What's next..deleting the forums because of all the Mubai Prostitute ads????

Whether you used the feature or not, it's clear that it was easily abusable. It's entirely fitting for this feature to be retired until it no longer poses a threat to users. Your argument is faulty, being an application of the Slippery Slope fallacy, without justification or cause (LL's support model hinges on community.secondlife.com). Discarding.

Best of luck.

You see, this is what happens when a couple of sensitive souls go and complain that they have been targetted as naive, because they are members of furry groups (not my interpretation; the result of analysis by someone much more concerned than myself) by a pretty inconsequential and unconvincing currency spammer.

If only they had just closed their inboxes for a couple of days the frustrated spammers would have realised they were wasting their time and looked for more lucrative pastures. Instead EVERYONE is being penalised by having the functionality of their SL experience reduced.

I presume that LL took action, not because of the repeated spam postings complaining about the phenomenon, but because the spammer made the tyro's mistake of trying to sell Lindens to a Linden . . .

**********Rudi**********

Someone wrote ... "This has been removed by LL, but I can only guess why"

Others are speculating that some abuse against furries maybe triggered this.

See, THAT'S the real problem!!  

WHY can't LL at least communicate clearly and as often as needed, what is really going on and why?

Many of us are paying customers, dammit!

Dante

Your point about us being LL's "customers" is one that has been made hundreds of times previously.  LL do not, and have never (to my knowledge) accepted that residents of SL are their customers, even those of us that pay for virtual land and/or have Premium accounts.  At best we are "users" of SL to them.  LL have never been in any way open with their communication with their userbase (Oz Linden's Open-Source interaction with the TPV developers is a different matter altogether), at least not in over 6 years to my knowledge. Often an obscure security connection is cited, but more often it is simply that they believe that they do not owe us an explanation for a given action.

The bottom line is that LL believe that they can do as they damn well please...and we either like it or leave.  End of story.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.