Any Alternatives to SAM DJ Player for Being a DJ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone:

I am thinking about wanting to become a DJ and would have to learn about what it takes to be a DJ in second life, and I know that many of the DJ's here use SAM as their player, however as of right now, I cannot afford the price of a SAM license and was wondering if there is an alternative or something I could use to get going?  If so, please contact me in world.

Thanks

Mitchell

Roswenthe Aluveaux wrote:

The best alternative I've found is made by
. SAM is very hard to set up, and fairly difficult to use without training, and I was never able to make the mic work with Winamp. It has a trial, so you can try it out before buying it.

For $17.00 USD you can start DJing in SL. That's a pretty good solution in that cost range. Once your music library gets into the 10's of thousands of songs this would be hard to use as it has no search capability to find music selections by one of the descriptive song metatags.

This is where Mixxx [Free], SAM.2013 Broadcaster Pro w/multiple Relay Server Ability [$299] & Tracktor Pro 2 w/IceCast Relay Server ability [on Sale for $44.90] come in.

IMHO The Music Library Management functions of SAM are worth every penny. My library is extensive [Over 50,000 songs] and SAM allows me to use a high speed database solution [MySQL<-Free] to organize, update and Search all the metadata about my music it also includes the ability to update the metadata back into the source music rips.

Note: SAM.2013 Plus is on sale for $149 right now but you have to lease the ShoutCast Relay Stream service from the sister company SpacialNet and there are a few other limitations. Don't purchase SAM.2013 Lite as it is locked into the SpacialNet Vibe ACC Stream Relay service and the SL FMOD player will not decode this as of 2013.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to say thanks to Roswenthe for mentioning my DJ app! This weekend I started adding more features and UI updates, so expect an update soon.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

. SAM is very hard to set up, and fairly difficult to use without training, and I was never able to make the mic work with Winamp. It has a trial, so you can try it out before buying it.

For $17.00 USD you can start DJing in SL. That's a pretty good solution in that cost range. Once your music library gets into the 10's of thousands of songs this would be hard to use as it has no search capability to find music selections by one of the descriptive song metatags.

This is where
[Free],
w/multiple Relay Server Ability [$299] &
w/IceCast Relay Server ability [on Sale for $44.90] come in.

IMHO The Music Library Management functions of SAM are worth every penny. My library is extensive [Over 50,000 songs] and SAM allows me to use a high speed database solution [MySQL<-Free] to organize, update and Search all the metadata about my music it also includes the ability to update the metadata back into the source music rips.

Note: SAM.2013 Plus is on sale for $149 right now but you have to lease the ShoutCast Relay Stream service from the sister company SpacialNet and there are a few other limitations. Don't purchase SAM.2013 Lite as it is locked into the SpacialNet Vibe ACC Stream Relay service and the SL FMOD player will not decode this as of 2013.

Karen, music library management is built into Windows 7 and above, which makes it really easy to search your music library by filename or music metatag. Any Explorer window with a search box in the top right can do it (including open file dialogs). Thanks for mentioning a feature that's important but lacking in my solution, as databases are quite trival, I may add this in the near future to help DJs with a larger library.

Torrey Betsen wrote:

I'm late to this thread, but I wanted to say thanks to Roswenthe for mentioning my DJ app! This weekend I started adding more features and UI updates, so expect an update soon.

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

This is where
[Free],
w/multiple Relay Server Ability [$299] &
w/IceCast Relay Server ability [on Sale for $44.90] come in.

Karen, music library management is built into Windows 7 and above, which makes it really easy to search your music library by filename or music metatag. Any Explorer window with a search box in the top right can do it (including open file dialogs). Thanks for mentioning a feature that's important but lacking in my solution, as databases are quite trivial, I may add this in the near future to help DJs with a larger library.

Yes, Music library searching is built into Windows 7 and above but it is a poor tool when you are making sure that all your meta data is correct and ready for air-play - Plus the search ability when your music library is in the 100's of thousands songs is useless and takes too long and uses too many memory resources. Microsoft has a long way to go before I use it to manage my music metadata. SAM allows me to use keywords and to sort the results on many factors not included on the "hit window" of Windows Search.

Then again I rarely drag and drop my music choices from the windows file system into my SAM Playlist Queue. I use the genre and/or other groupings to obtain suitable songs for a set and then select that list.

• 2 years later...

I searched all the time for a solution to stream my music into SL and your suggestion was spot on. I know its a little late for a response but i bought Torrey's software today and after a little fiddeling with it ... IT WORKS ! I am glad. I am no DJ but wanted to stream my own music for my parcel and now i am able. Its of course no SAM but exactly what i needed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3069 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.