Camera Jumping around

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A customer reported that his house -- non mesh -- was causing his camera to zoom in and out (I think that is what he meant).  

No other house does this for him.

There are no hollowed cubes, which I know can cause this kind of thing, and he says there is no sim surround, although there is a large racetrack (maybe whole sim).

This does not happen in the model in my store.

Pamela Galli wrote:

A customer reported that his house -- non mesh -- was causing his camera to zoom in and out (I think that is what he meant).  

No other house does this for him.

There are no hollowed cubes, which I know can cause this kind of thing, and he says there is no sim surround, although there is a large racetrack (maybe whole sim).

This does not happen in the model in my store.

This last sentence would make me think that it's not happening because of your house.

...Dres (Yeah... that's all I got.)

Pamela,

I don't think the camera is zooming, it's just moving to avoid obstacles, and unable to find a safe spot. The problem may be caused by the house being located near some other object that's got invisible bits inside the house. This often happens with plants and trees near the house walls.

A quick Ctrl-Alt-T might reveal the culprit, which can be addressed either by moving the offending object, setting it phantom or moving the house.

Camera collision avoidance can be turned off in Firestorm via...

Avatar -> Preferences -> Move & View -> Firestorm -> Allow camera to move without constraints through prims

That may require a restart, I don't recall.

Or... it's something else!

It isn't caused by your house its a viewer issue.  It could also mean a sim restart is in order if it happens to more than one person there.

I've had this happen in specific locations and have had friends report that it happens to them too.  But the occurrence is random in the sense that it may happen in a specific place and only that place for a while then next time in another.  Usually it stops eventually but I have found clearing my cache and relogging fixes it.  If it doesn't, my next step would be to do a clean reinstall of the viewer.

Amethyst, when this happens, does it look like shaking, or a larger, slower cycling between two camera positions? I've witnessed "shake" which came and went for no apparent reason, and was dependent on my camera position. Moving the camera slightly in any direction generally cleared it up.

If clearing your cache often fixes it for you, I wonder if it's a matter of something with corrupted geometry stored there.

Pamela, if Amethyst's explanation is correct, have your customer clear his cache.

In my house I have a bed with a sculpty bed spread. The bounding box for it is quirky. Ctrl-Alt-T and wire-frame (Ctrl-Shift-R) do not show a problem. But, when the camera moves over the bed, in certain positions the camera starts acting up. It zooms and bounces side to side.

If you investigate watch to see where the customer stands and which direction they look to expeience the problem. If you can relicate it, try in one of you rezzes of the house. If you can't reproduce the problem, the customer has something in or near the house (or even under it) that is causing the problem.

You might try opening the Navmesh editor. Build->Pathfinding->View/test...enable Navmesh view. My bed's problem doesn't show up there either, but some other things do.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Amethyst, when this happens, does it look like shaking, or a larger, slower cycling between two camera positions? I've witnessed "shake" which came and went for no apparent reason, and was dependent on my camera position. Moving the camera slightly in any direction generally cleared it up.

If clearing your cache often fixes it for you, I wonder if it's a matter of something with corrupted geometry stored there.

Pamela, if Amethyst's explanation is correct, have your customer clear his cache.

I've had it manifest as a shaking so it looks like an earthquake, a zoom in and out, and just a wild camera that zooms around randomly. 

While friends report that it happens to them too occasionally, it doesn't seem to effect other people near me when it happens.  I assume it is a corruption of some sort and suspect it may be caused by my ISP doing it, although I've never been able to isolate the cause.  Sometimes just a relog works, sometimes not without a clearing of cache too.  Other times it stops if I TP to another location,  Nothing seems consistent about it, so it may be its caused by more than one thing.  But a cache clear and relog always works for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.