llGetParcelMaxPrims Does Not Work Properly?

IZHRAH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, does the llGetParcelMaxPrims work properly its weird that I scanned each parcel by scanning the region each 4x4, weird that my function llGetParcelPrimCount works properly but the llGetParcelMaxPrims does not even you are expecting 15000 prims in full region I get 14996, even in a homestead 3750 prims I get 5286 prims.

As soon as you start dividing a region into parcels, one is apt to begin "losing" prims. This is due to the individual parcel limit being determined with a truncated (always rounded down) integer after doing floating point math.

It'll never amount to much though. If it seems to be a problem, consider merging parcels so you have fewer divisions and they'll "reappear".

So you mean its impossible to get the exact max prims if the sim is divided into multiple parcels? I also noticed that when I manually chceck each parcel's max prim then total them together since its a full region I am expecting 15000 prims but what I get is 14996.

Another thing how does the bonus prims work? Since I'm not yet familiar with the bonus prims, and are they affecting the llGetParcelMaxPrims function?

IZHRAH wrote:

So yun mean its impossible to get the exact max prims if the sim is divided into multiple parcels? I also noticed that when I manually chceck each parcel's max prim then total them together since its a full region I am expecting 15000 prims but what I get is 14996.

Another thing how does the bonus prims work? Since I'm not yet familiar with the bonus prims, and are they affecting the llGetParcelMaxPrims function?

Correct, check this posting, where I finally started getting it right: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Second-Life-Land-Prims-Suggestion/td-p/1790063.

Prim bonus is basically an estate manager's way of controlling the prim allotment for the region by giving some parcels a higher multiplier while others (such as a scenic lake in the center) have a lower one. Total prims allowed for the region as a whole is fixed though. For more info, check http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/how-do-bonus-prims-on-a-land-work/qaq-p/1116989 

The bonus is not on a parcel by parcel case, it is set for the whole region on the region tab, and so the bonus multiplier applies to all the parcels. In order for one or more parcels to be able to get extra prims up to the level allowed by the bonus multiplier, other parcels in the region must have correspondingly less prims.

What may be adding to the  confusion is the convex hull trick; apparently the prims *saved* by setting a build to convex hull are ony saved on that parcel, but still get taken away from the regions total prim allowance. So if a parcel has a build which shows a land impact of 10 for a prim count of 20, the parcel itself only gets 10 prims subtracted from it's prim total, but the region as a whole sees 20 prims allocated as a result. It looks to me as though the convex hull trick is just a way of nmanipulating a sort of hidden object bonus figure on an individual build within a parcel, whatever the region  bonus multiplier is.

Convex hull is not a "trick", nor is there a "prim allowance" per region or parcel anymore at all. There is a land impact allowance only, and objects can use the new accounting system or the old accounting to determine its LI. Setting a standard root prim to prim type CONVEX HULL is the means to opt in to the new accounting for the whole linkset (along with physics results from the setting). With mesh, the new accounting is always used, even if the root prim is prim type PRIM. No matter which accounting system your object is using, its LI is not a value that will change depending on where it is checked from.

Profaitchikenz Haiku wrote:

The bonus is not on a parcel by parcel case, it is set for the whole region on the region tab, and so the bonus multiplier applies to all the parcels. In order for one or more parcels to be able to get extra prims up to the level allowed by the bonus multiplier, other parcels in the region must have correspondingly less prims.

What may be adding to the  confusion is the convex hull trick; apparently the prims *saved* by setting a build to convex hull are ony saved on that parcel, but still get taken away from the regions total prim allowance. So if a parcel has a build which shows a land impact of 10 for a prim count of 20, the parcel itself only gets 10 prims subtracted from it's prim total, but the region as a whole sees 20 prims allocated as a result. It looks to me as though the convex hull trick is just a way of nmanipulating a sort of hidden object bonus figure on an individual build within a parcel, whatever the region  bonus multiplier is.

Right, I see I did mistate that.

Prim bonus is a way to to raise the parcel prim limit across a sim so that any parcel(s) within it might have a greater number of prims. But the gain can only be realized by only setting aside or shorting other parcels. "Shorting" a parcel is done only by design though, by having an area of low prim usage such as a park or lake, not (as I implied) by setting a lower value for specific parcels.

Sorry for the confusion.

• 4 weeks later...

IZHRAH wrote:

So you mean its impossible to get the exact max prims if the sim is divided into multiple parcels? I also noticed that when I manually chceck each parcel's max prim then total them together since its a full region I am expecting 15000 prims but what I get is 14996.

not impossible, just unlikely. It's theoretically possible to not see the rounding error depending on the exact shape and size of the parcels.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.