Second life Viewer runs higher fps than Singularity?

Dante Seminario

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Performance will be different for every hardware/viewer combination, so as usual, take anything that claims to be a performance comparison with a lump of salt.

I noticed that on my system, Singularity is set to pick lower default graphics settings than other viewers, so initially the FPS does appear to be higher. The apparent advantage disappears, and it runs pretty much identically to other viewers, once I make the settings match.

Also make your comparisons in a region that is empty and deserted as possible. Try Pooley or Furball. For pure perfromance measures try testing in and empty deserted region at 3,000m elevation.

Also check the region performance. If ping, time dilation, or physics FPS are not at their max or near max test in another place. The SL servers run multiple simulators/regions. One overloade region in a server can pull the other sims in it down too.

Check the region's free script time. There should be lots of free time. Check the event firing rates, they should be low.

Before testing and in the middle of testing run SpeedTest.net test to an SL server. You can get an IP address or URL from the viewer's Help-About... You need to know what your average perfromance is and test only when your connection is running near those levels.

Make sure you are not running other applications when testing.

Use System Explorer to watch what is running on your computer. It will show all running tasks. You can see the main tasks consuming CPU time on the graphs screen. With GPU-Z you can see how well the GPU is performaing or not.

And as suggested make sure your settings are the same.

There are a huge number of things that affect performance. It is even hard to define performance. If you are just interested in render speed, FPS, wait until everything in the region has downloaded. Use Ctrl-Shift-3 to tell when a region has finshed downloading.

Dante Seminario wrote:

So I have been reading up on Singularity and how much it's suppose to boost fps and run the game smoother, so I downloaded it, compared it to the Second life normal viewer and the normal one actually runs a higher fps.. Why would this be?

Almost every TPV claims it runs better than the official. Most of these claims are based on tests against V2, not V3, or on buggy versions of V3 - and the comparer then rarely goes back to look again.

I've found that overall, with most versins of V3, it gives me the best performance. Every so often LLs goofs and there's a version out for a month or so that is bad, but then it goes back to being on top.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Dante Seminario wrote:

So I have been reading up on Singularity and how much it's suppose to boost fps and run the game smoother, so I downloaded it, compared it to the Second life normal viewer and the normal one actually runs a higher fps.. Why would this be?

Almost every TPV claims it runs better than the official. Most of these claims are based on tests against V2, not V3, or on buggy versions of V3 - and the comparer then rarely goes back to look again.

I've found that overall, with most versins of V3, it gives me the best performance. Every so often LLs goofs and there's a version out for a month or so that is bad, but then it goes back to being on top.

So, how to compare current tpvs and a V2 viewer?

J.

Simple... most people making these "my viewer is faster than LL's" claims, haven't checked since 2010...

You can intuit that quite often when feature lists get rolled off by their users (TPV devs are not typically as uninformed), and include within them a number of things that have been around for years in the official viewer as if they were unique or new.

Use what works best on your computer and/or which conforms to your needs in terms of UI.

Anything that is a FPS test is basically like a contest between school children at the urinals to see who can mark higher on the wall.

One only has to turn on fast timers to see how useless this metric, and these threads, are.

Again: Use what works best on your computer and for you.

• 3 months later...

Just stumbled upon this... (very late I have to admit).

As a Singularity developer I can guarantee you that we never claim(ed) that Singularity has a higher FPS than any other viewer. Such enthousiastic remarks come from some of the users. It's not entirely impossible that Singularity is better than most though because it's using the code of V3 (just like every other viewer that wants to compete) and THEN has added substantial improvement by our graphics engine guru. Perhaps you don't believe me, since I'm working on Singularity myself, but he's really good - most likely better (in graphics optimizations) then any of the other volunteers coding for any viewer out there. That being said, I often have the feeling that those optimizations are mostly noticable on windows (the platform he's using)... I'm using linux and I'm less impressed with my FPS :P. Unlike other team members I indeed never compare Singularity with other viewers however... So, I wouldn't know if any other viewer would perform better on my OS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.