FYI - Deformer Project

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That doesn't confirm anything about the deformer.

The deformer was written by Qarl AFTER he had already left SL for what? 3 years or so.  The code was made available to LL who have had it for over 2 years already.

They have the code, they've always had the code, this is nothing to do with the deformer!

His comment probably won't encourage LL to do anything with it but in no ways does his cancelling his sim and deleting his account have anything whatsoever to do with the deformer being included by LL or not.  That issue remains entirely in the lap of LL and some unknown relucatance, stubbornness, not invented here syndrome or other political or technical posturing that means they won't deliver on it.

It truly saddens me to see Qarl leave Second Life. :(

I hope if he ever gets involved with another virtual world he will let us know because I will know that is a world worth investing in.

As far as the Mesh Deformer I don't think it bodes well when LL won't even communicate with the person who created it.

Qarl has been extremely patient with them and it took him two years of waiting to throw in the towel.

I doubt we will ever see the deformer. 

Cathy Foil wrote:

As far as the Mesh Deformer I don't think it bodes well when
LL won't even communicate
with the person who created it.

Qarl has been extremely patient with them and it took him two years of waiting to throw in the towel.

Fixed it for you, I agree though, I doubt we'll see it for the simple reason that there's just nobody working on SL in areas that matter anymore, they're all working on iPad and other games.  SL is just the cash cow to fund those and until I see evidence to the contrary, that's my opinion.

I'm not well versed in mesh or programming or even this topic. I do know that at some point it would be possible for a worn mesh object to resize using the appearance editor. Today I was wearing a rigged mesh dress and when i changed my hip width the mesh moved with me.

I didn't think this was possible. It was always a complaint of some that we would be forced to modify our shapes to accomodate mesh but the mesh moved with me. Maybe this has been possible for a while but I didn't hear any mention about it from friends.

So, it this the deformer everyone is talking about?

4:18pm - i should add that I tested this with an alt and after I detached then reattached the dress it no longer had it's texture. so maybe it's not yet functional.

but, any info about this would be appreciated

No, the deformer does NOT exist in production viewers.

Mesh is bound to the avatar bones, you can change the length of bones and the mesh will stretch, such as you found when making your pelvis bone wider.

Now try changing your breast size.  It won't change because there are no breast bones to which the mesh points (called vertices) can be weighted (the data that describes where each vertex is relative to a bone and how it is influenced by others around it).

There is a method of making mesh that can deform a bit to the volume of bone change such as leg thickness, this is by rigging the mesh to the collision volume bones but again, it doesn't work for breasts or stomach and some other places very well.  This is NOT *the* deformer that we have all been waiting on.

Cathy Foil wrote:

It truly saddens me to see Qarl leave Second Life.
:(

I hope if he ever gets involved with another virtual world he will let us know because I will know that is a world worth investing in.

As far as the Mesh Deformer I don't think it bodes well when LL won't even communicate with the person who created it.

I'd have to agree with you. As a watcher and participator in the deformer project, it is pretty pitiful how it was all handled. LL had people jumping thru hoops, only to stop communicating totally. Think about all that time people wasted. Does LL care if we waste our time with their ridiculousness? It certainly doesn't seem like it.

I recently decided I would create a JIRA for a problem I've known about for years now. So, I created a JIRA. The problem is, LL expects me, an Animator, to know exactly what the issue is. If I don't hit the nail on the head directly, I have to start all over again and create another JIRA. Seriously, WTF! Do they not understand that my time is also money? And, I am the customer, and not a coder. As far as I'm concerned, I gave them all the info they need to fix the issue and I won't be writing another Jira for SL. I actually do have to make money doing something productive.

I also just had LL charge my PP account for my subscription, when I had just paid it directly not 2 days before. They cleared it up as soon as I talked to support, but what the heck is wrong with their system that I can pay, and still be charged again. That sounds like a fundamental flaw in how it is coded. When you look at all the problems with the MP, with 7 day cashouts, the deformer, the TOS, and I could go on and on, I see little reason to keep devoting so of my time to a system they refuse to make right.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.