Random person sent me Lindens

AuraleeMay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A random guy send me L$ 100 barely 30 seconds after I TPd somewhere. I tried asking what it was for but there was obviously a language barrier. Conversation went like this;

[15:41] The Guy: francaise
[15:42] AuraleeMay: What?
[15:42] The Guy: *sends L$ 100*
[15:43] AuraleeMay: Why did you give me linden?
[15:43] The Guy: yes
[15:44] AuraleeMay: I'm not understanding you, but thank you

He didn't say anything after. His profile says he made his avatar in 2008. Probably super newbie question, but is there possibly anything sketchy with this? I've never had someone send me L$ before. It came in something I need to rez to open, is that normal? I'm just always paranoid about viruses and this being completely random ups the paranoia.

EDIT: Thank you for the answers. I've reported the guy but I had already deleted the object so I couldn't send it. The user in question is nicolas762_Bravin, please be cautious of him.

4 answers to this question

Well, you can't catch any sort of "virus" if all he did was give you money.  It may have been a mistake on his part -- he aimed at the person standing behind you and sent L$ to you in error -- or maybe he was just being a nice guy.  It was only 40 cents worth of Lindens, but it's the thought that counts.  If you don't feel worthy of the gift, maybe you should give it to someone else --- anonymously, of course.  :smileywink:

AH, wait.....   I missed the part that says it came in something you have to open. :smileysurprised:   Well, then.... THAT changes everything.  In that case, trash it.  It is not worth 40 cents for a potential headache.

• Like 1

Did I ever mention that at the bank I last worked in everyone sent me copies of all the viruses and dodgy spam that they got? Yes, I was 'bomb disposal' and about the only person who would open them up - including decompiling if necessary - to find out how they worked. LOL, most of the time they just bounced off our non-standard software and OSs anyway.

Not really something we can do in SL, since we can't get server-side so, yeah - don't open or even rez unknown stuff is the rule.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.