Mesh Deforming Jeans and Tanktop

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Great video Medhue!

The deformer works great.  I find the minor issues of skin poking through way less distracting than my prim hair slicing thought my avatars shoulders or poking out my back on long hair styles.

And of course any skin poking through can be solved with a simple alpha layer.

I am so tired of waiting for the Mesh Deformer that I have finally gave in and learned how to make Liquid Mesh using the Collision Bones.

I can tell you Qarl's Mesh Deformer definitely works way better and easier than the Liquid Mesh hack.

I can't believe LL been sitting on the Mesh Deformer for what close to two years now?

And really Cathy, despite being a guy who could really care less about clothing and really an animator, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. It really does encourage creativity. There is so much I could have done. For instance, I could have made the jeans look ripped up, and then made the alpha layer underneath reveal their actual skin.

Best part of it all, is really from the customer's standpoint. They just wear it. No fuss!

Hi Chic  :)

Chic Aeon wrote:

Be aware that mentioning other grids on the forums might get your post pulled. A friend alerted me that "Who Knew?" with over 400 views disappeared today. Just sayin'
;)

If that was the reason the post was removed then I think that is very sad. Sad that the original spirit of Second Life within the company appears to be dying. Its unfortunate that they no longer  have the confidence to communicate with their users and that people with passion have been replaced with bean counters.

I should say that I didn't receive a notice about why the post was removed in its entirity . If there was a single offending comment then I would think that could have been removed without taking the whole thread down. I have just been hearing from disgruntled  folks and so commented. I suspect someone reported it to the moderator and they acted accordingly. That seems to be the way it works here.

The thread was certainly about making MESH. At times folks got off topic but that does happen. It WOULD be good if there were notes about why a thread or comment was removed. That has been seen in the past in other forums -- and actually here too I think.

So "perhaps" it had nothing to do with the enthusiasm of some of the folks for another platform :D.  Want to be fair.  If we see other threads disappearing -- then we'll know for sure *wink*.

Happily I have had no mesh problems to ask about :D. Things are going smoothly. Hope they are for you too! 

The strange thing is, that if some1 read the thread that you started, they would see that SL is the best virtual world. So, despite the fact that we talked about all these other worlds, they all made SL look like a beacon for creative people. I equally criticized those other worlds, just like I criticize SL.

As for removing threads, it would not be a first for me, even tho I'm just trying to show a technology that was originally created for SL. We do have a viewer for it. That viewer is quite outdated at this point tho. Ultimately, my point is to show the naysayers how it works almost flawlessly, despite being made by an animator. If I can do this, than any1 can, and probably better. I don't hide how I feel about the project and how LL has handled it. I only get paid by the users and customers in virtual worlds, which means my whole emphasis is on them, not LL.

Of course, my intent is not to post things only to have them taken down, nor to drive people away from SL. My intent is to show the mesh deformer to the world where it originated. Irregardless of what LL does, the deformer is out there, and people are playing with it. My video will still be on Youtube. Ultimately, I'd love to do a similar video showing how SL has this option, or something better. Right now, there is no better solution out there.

Chic Aeon wrote:

I should say that I didn't receive a notice about why the post was removed in its entirity .
If there was a single offending comment then I would think that could have been removed without taking the whole thread down. I have just been hearing from disgruntled  folks and so commented. I suspect someone reported it to the moderator and they acted accordingly. That seems to be the way it works here.

The thread was certainly about making MESH. At times folks got off topic but that does happen. It WOULD be good if there were notes about why a thread or comment was removed. That has been seen in the past in other forums -- and actually here too I think.

So "perhaps" it had nothing to do with the enthusiasm of some of the folks for another platform
:D
.  Want to be fair.  If we see other threads disappearing -- then we'll know for sure *wink*.

Happily I have had no mesh problems to ask about
:D
. Things are going smoothly. Hope they are for you too! 

Just read the community guidelines and you will know. It's just a few sentence.

And no, I did not report it. Although, I wondered it took this long until it got removed.

Anyway, nice vid Medhue.

I never actually read the Community Guidelines for the Forums before today.  Yea they are not very long but there are a few good ones in there.  I especially like the rule that we can not make a post that questions a moderator's decision.

I am not questioning the moderator's decision.  I do however have to question the management of LL decision to put precious employee man hours towards moderating the forums when they could use those man hours to better use and get something done like I don't know say get the Mesh Deformer into the SL main viewer and 3rd party viewers.

• 2 weeks later...

Arcy Halfpint wrote:

Hey Guys

Whats needed to upload   mesh deformer or liquid mesh to SL. what  viewer i  saw somewhere  saying 
Qarl's Mesh Deformer works on firestorm, can anyone provide me some usefull links

I'm not sure the Mesh deformer is in Firestorm. LL does have an SL mesh deformer viewer, but you have to get it on the Jira page. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-1716

Liquid Mesh and the Mesh Deformer Qarl made are two different things though both deform the mesh your avatar wears to fit its shape.

Liquid Mesh is sort of a hack.  It uses the collision bones of the avatar skeleton to change the meshes size.  Draw backs to it is it does not deform to the breast, fingers or face.  It is a tricky process to create Liquid Mesh and to get it to upload correctly to SL.  Well, at least it is tricky for Maya users.  Benefits is it works in all viewers right now though LL warns Liquid Mesh can be broken at anytime in the future since it is using the collision bones for something they are not intended for.

Qarl's Mesh Deformer is superior in my opinion.  It uses the avatars default body mesh to deform the mesh objects or clothes your are wearing.  As you change your avatars body shape avatar's body mesh then changes the shape of the mesh you are wearing.  Qarl's Mesh Deformer is a lot easier to use for mesh designers.  Designers just have to click one or two buttons on the mesh upload screen to enable mesh to work with the Mesh Deformer.  Since it deforms the mesh based on the avatars body mesh hands, face and even butt and breasts deform the mesh you are wearing.  This means if you like bounding breasts your mesh clothing items will bounce as well around those areas.

Qarl's Mesh Deformer also opens up the door to custom avatar body mesh who's eyes blink, mouths open and full facial expression so your favorite AOs can work perfectly.  So no need to wait for LL to create the default avatar 2.0.

Qarl's Mesh Deformer has been basically finished for close to two years.  No one really knows why LL is just sitting on it.  There has been no official explanation given by LL.  Everything you read is pure conjecture.  A couple of Open Sim owners, which will remain nameless, paid Qarl not long ago several thousand dollars to improve the Mesh Deformer performance.  Qarl did making it over twenty times fasterThis new faster version was made available to LL and has been incorporated into LL test Mesh Deformer viewer.  The Mesh Deformer speed was very fast before the improvement but faster is better.

Hope that helps. :)

Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.