Mesh simply doesn't work

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I agree with you, but I had an interesting thought. While you are right that LL should come up with a better system avatar, we both know they have very little interest in SL at this point. That being the case, I don't mind my 10-year old avatar (not 10-year-old avatar, note the position of the hyphens). I'm willing to forgive the beefy armpits, knobby ankles and weirdly 2-dimensional breasts in return for simplicity and consistency. No amputated legs or space-face; hair and jewelry that can be worn without an instruction manual from NASA.

I don't mind the flaws because my mind glosses over them (unlike RL where they can be a source of irritation). I'm sure a psychologist would have much to say about projected v real body image. In any event, my imperfect avi is not a problem. What drives me mad is unnecessary fiddling. No, I am not going to modify my shape to fit into a blouse that looks like armor. Nor am I going to saw off my legs to slip into a pair of pants. It's 'unrealistic' in that it runs counter to RL behavior and appearance. Moreover, I don't want to take five hours to rez from a twisted mathematical abstraction, appearing to all the world as a demented radish. A puff of smoke is okay so long as I materialize as human, preferably clothed.

In LL's defense, I'll say that anyone trying High Fidelity will soon run back to SL and breathe a sigh of relief at having a sane avatar. HF is so complex and quirky as to be dysfunctional. I gave up after banging my head on it for several months.

It's the red hair, huh? Gives me away every time :)

Come to think of it, I've worn the same hair for 10 years. Trying hard to get my mind around this 10-year concept. How many people have lived in a virtual world for 10 years? I might look like a normal radish, but my RL friends think I'm truly demented.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.