Wouldn't you think the new TOS would be a good opportunity for SL to remove unused Avatars?

Tex Monday

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was just thinking about this. SL put out a new TOS, do you think they are able to track who agrees and who never does?

And if there is no activity, could SL use the opportunity to remove old avatars that have been sitting around for years? Might solve a bunch of problems and open up things like last names, again.

Or is that just wishful thinking???

Tex Monday wrote:

Was just thinking about this. SL put out a new TOS, do you think they are able to track who agrees and who never does?

And if there is no activity, could SL use the opportunity to remove old avatars that have been sitting around for years? Might solve a bunch of problems and open up things like last names, again.

Inactive avatars aren't really going to cause much of a problem. Other then a few unused lines of information in a database there not using much rescources. They aren't using server space or bandwith in anyway only active users do that. Also I think you may be confused as to why they got rid of last names. While I'm not clear on the exact reason I know that it was not because of a dirth of last names but rather for some more political reason. So removing more people from people registered to anyone last name won't bring them back.

The other issue is if there just going by who agreed and who did not how would they know that osmeone didn't agree because the just happened to not be on this week due to vacation o r some such thing?

Tex Monday wrote:

What problems might it solve other than reducing the amount of data they are storing?

As to last names, I'm not sure exactly what it would free up.  While some last names were more popular than others, if there was a rhyme or reason for how long LL kept a name available, they never stated it to my knowledge.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Tex Monday wrote:

What problems might it solve other than reducing the amount of data they are storing?

As to last names, I'm not sure exactly what it would free up.  While some last names were more popular than others, if there was a rhyme or reason for how long LL kept a name available, they never stated it to my knowledge.

ok...obviously, I'm not getting through to you people......uuggghhh!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

*calms down a bit*

I figured it might free up some space on the grid. Maybe (and I have no idea) old AV information is stored somewhere and it could free space up for other stuff. I don't know what...just speculating

As for the last name thing..I thought (again, wrongly) that one of the reasons for no last names is that aren't any left. If they got rid of the old AVs, they might be able to bring them back.

I don't have any tech knowledge (obviously) so I don't have any real ideas. Just a thought. I was wrong. It's not the first time today...and probably won't be the last.

Thanks all...

Tex Monday wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Tex Monday wrote:

ok...obviously, I'm not getting through to you people......uuggghhh!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

*calms down a bit*

I figured it might free up some space on the grid. Maybe (and I have no idea) old AV information is stored somewhere and it could free space up for other stuff. I don't know what...just speculating

As for the last name thing..I thought (again, wrongly) that one of the reasons for no last names is that aren't any left. If they got rid of the old AVs, they might be able to bring them back.

I don't have any tech knowledge (obviously) so I don't have any real ideas. Just a thought. I was wrong. It's not the first time today...and probably won't be the last.

Thanks all...

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Exactly what "space on the Grid" would this free up?

Are you talking about In World?

Perrie Juran wrote:

You're not being difficult, my friend...I am... :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I had a thought..that maybe if LL used the new TOS as an opportunity to delete old AVs that it might have some benefit to SL in general. I thought that it might free up space in world and that it might also free up last names to be allowed for them to be used again...because we all know that LL doesn't delete AVs no matter how old or unused they are. I do know that it would probably give LL a slightly better idea of how many users (although, many people have ALTS as well) are actually playing SL.

My apologies..it was a bad attempt at a bad joke....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I could be wrong but I think I remember seeing someplace that by getting rid of last names it would keep one of the databases from growing as fast, one less field. Also they, LL, think people were canceling from the sign up page because they had to pick a last name, only having one name made it faster and easier and more like that face place.

Then getting rid of accounts would be difficult, my daughter has not signed on for several years, thinks SL is lame. She is in a group I made and if they deleted her avatar I would lose my group. I think you need two people in the group of something like that.

Then there is that huge number of avatars that are in Second Life, well we know better but the 34 million plus looks better than to say, there are 500K avatars.

But last names could come back easily, just have one space available for your name, not the first or last character and now you have only one field and a first and last name, kind of.

Tex Monday wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You're not being difficult, my friend...I am... :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I had a thought..that maybe if LL used the new TOS as an opportunity to delete old AVs that it might have some benefit to SL in general. I thought that it might free up space in world and that it might also free up last names to be allowed for them to be used again...because we all know that LL doesn't delete AVs no matter how old or unused they are. I do know that it would probably give LL a slightly better idea of how many users (although, many people have ALTS as well) are actually playing SL.

My apologies..it was a bad attempt at a bad joke....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Maybe one of the really oldbies can verify this, I can't find the documentation.

In the very early days of SL when someone deleted an account, LL purged them from the data base.  This however created a problem because of the way inventory is associated in SL with the Creator.  You created Object A and gave me a copy.  When LL purged the Creator's account, the object would disappear from my inventory.  For this reason accounts are not purged.  I do know this raises a question about restored accounts losing their inventory but it was something I read a while back.

On the other hand, this article might interest you:

Linden Lab purges nearly a million inactive Second Life users

another problem is that many a sim was built at least in part by people who no longer log in, people even who have died rl and their creations being kept as a memorial by their friends (I help run one such place).

Delete those accounts, and everything that goes with them, and you end up destroying the memories people keep of their loved ones who died.

jwenting wrote:

another problem is that many a sim was built at least in part by people who no longer log in, people even who have died rl and their creations being kept as a memorial by their friends (I help run one such place).

Delete those accounts, and everything that goes with them, and you end up destroying the memories people keep of their loved ones who died.

I neglected to extrapolate the affect when I wrote my post but that domino effect was in my mind when I posted.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.