Is it possible to reach the Sun or the Moon on Second Life?

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everybody!

I always tend to see either the Sun or the Moon on Second Life. I have tried to fly to the Sun/Moon a few times before. The highest altitude I was able to fly (With a jetpack) has been 50,000 meters. But the Moon looked the same size. Did I not fly up high enough or is it not possible to reach the Sun and/or Moon?

Also, what is the highest altitude a person can fly up to on Second Life?

6 answers to this question

The altitude limit for rezzing objects is 4096 meters. You'll notice the view after 4096 m doesn't vary. For all intents and purposes you are effectively disconnected from most Region Transactional  Update Messages after that height. Your viewer is simply animating your avatar and spinning the altimeter up endlessly. To others in the region [with avatar locating ability or tools] your height registers as 4096m.

The Moon and Sun will always be out of reach except by our hearts and songs.

Have you tried free falling afterwards from 50,000m? Have you tried to chat with others after that height?  I think both are possible. You should start seeing environmental effects once again when the Region Server recognizes you again as being under 4096m high.

About once a year there's a new round of attempts at the altitude record.  They make fascinating reading.  I think the most recent one was almost two years ago, followed in http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/highest-hight-possible-in-sl/td-p/1021925 .  If you read all the way to the end --- spoiler alert --- you'll find that the current record is held by .......

Slate McLeod : Well I didn’t hit my target…but I did reach 2.6 MILLION metres above SL. I hope thats a record for Havoc 4 physics. In total I was flying for a total of between 22 – 23 hours.

• Like 1

Unless the sun/moon is a prim object, you cannot reach it. It is usually part of a texture in the sky, if you can't reach it. As a prim object, you can reach the sun/moon and even sit on it if it has animations embedded in it.

Hope this helps :matte-motes-big-grin:

You can never reach the sun or moon as they are both just images not objects. There is no known limit as to how high you can fly, the only limits that have been reached are when people give up. No barrier has been hit or reached.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.