Second Life systems apparently failing, maybe fault on internet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1: I am getting a good connection speed to sites on the European side of the Atlantic, though ping times are erratic.

2: connecting to sites based in New York give significantly worse connection speed, about 2/3 of the previous level, with a more-or-less usual increase in ping time due to the extra distance.

3: Connections to Second Life, and to Live Chat support, are dropping faster than a whore's drawers.

It looks like an Internet problem somewhere in the USA, so I am not going to blame you too much, but I don't think it gets you off the hook for the consistently bad sim crossing I have seen for the last couple of weeks.

This article will help you find where the problem is: Troubleshoot Your Second Life Internet Connection. This is specific to SL.

Also, it is unclear but your wording seems to indicate you think you are addressing the Lab's support personnel. That is not the case. I think it is a near certainty that none of the support people can take time to look through the forum. There are some Linden programmers and managers that do follow parts of the forum, but generally just those parts of the forum that are about their projects. A few Lindens, like 1% or less I’m guessing, may actually read the forum for more recreational than work related reading. This forum is mostly read by and responses are from SL users.

To get the Lab's support people to help you, try visiting https://support.secondlife.com/. There are more support options open to Premium Members. If you are a Free Account user, the Lab's Support people will usually only help you with login related problems. 

The Answers section of the forum has most every question answered multiple times. I know because I write answers and save them in a Word document so I can repeatedly paste them in. The clue here is toward figuring out that one can get faster answers by searching Answers and the Knowledge Base. If your question shows no answer returned from a search, reword it. There are extremely few new problems in Second Life. People do describe old problems in new ways. So, with some effort you will likely find an answer and not have to wait.

I disagree...new problems do occur all the time. Usually side effects from new bells and whistles or as a result of never ending weekly server software changes where all the over -paying sim Owners have become free beta software testers.

I hope you are mistaken about Linden staff NOT reviewing the Technology forum post daily or weekly as it would in my opinion be totally irresponsible not to do so.

The creator of this thread is not a newbie to SL as you can see from the number of past post. So refering this resident to the Knowledge Base is a bit misplaced advice in my opinion. I am sure you we thinking of other newer residents who might also read this thread.

I might add that if the resident is having poor connection problems to SL servers......of course SIM crosings will be terrible.

Having said all this  I do want to compliment you on your wonderful website Things & Stuff Blog as I find it very helpful many times.

I also find Mr Bearsfoot's posts often to be very knowledgeable and levelheaded.

Anyhoo, my advice would be to not just run the usual speedtest but do a tracert to SL. This will show you on which hop you'll have the worst ping. Who knows, it might be close to home, at your local exchange (multiplexer, DSLam), or maybe already on your own premises.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

It looks like an Internet problem somewhere in the USA, so I am not going to blame you too much, but I don't think it gets you off the hook for the consistently bad sim crossing I have seen for the last couple of weeks.

I saw your post in the server release thread about crossing region borders north and south in the area of "Moose" and tried it myself - I had similar problems to you on Thursday, but I was well aware that the internet connection and router where I was staying at the time were marginal. When I returned home on Sunday I tested the same route with the same airplane but with an internet connection and modem that were adequate but by no means spectacular and I had no problems at all.

Orca Flotta wrote:

I also find Mr Bearsfoot's posts often to be very knowledgeable and levelheaded.

Anyhoo, my advice would be to not just run the usual speedtest but do a tracert to SL. This will show you on which hop you'll have the worst ping. Who knows, it might be close to home, at your local exchange (multiplexer, DSLam), or maybe already on your own premises.

quite in contrast to temin's rant, which is just the plain extremely low level of idiocy I've come to expect from the pathological whiners that are a main cause for LL staff to not participate actively in these forums and generally not bother even trying to help most residents.

One has to wonder why someone who's so dissatisfied with the product still continues to use it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.