not seeing symbols in s/l chat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi everyone gonna try explain this problem best i can ok...

when in s/l i dont see the like weird symbols people use in there names all i see is a square box.

this happens nomatter what viewer i'm on i.e firestorm,singularity....

my pc is running windows xp home edition

ive looked in prefs on both viewers but cant find any thing that it could in there

does anyone know why this happens as its really frustrating as cant see peoples display names alot of the time

thanks Amethyst

From One of my Previous Posts

on ‎03-24-2011 02:27 PM

Install the Asian Language Pack from your windows CD and that should take care of all the  special characters.

In Microsoft Windows XP

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
  3. Click Add other languages.
  4. On the Languages tab, select the Install files for East Asian languages check box.
  5. Click Apply.
  6. Click OK.
  7. Restart your computer when prompted. If you are not prompted, click Start, click Shut Down, and then click Restart.

############################################################################################

Windows Vista/Windows 7 Info

Please note you may have difficulty if you do not have Vista Ultimate or Enterprise versions. Later Service Packs installed may have this enabled alreadfy for you. You will have to check.

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > Clock, Language, Region (or Regional and Language Options) > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards and Languages.
2. Select the languages that you want to enable, click OK, and follow the prompts. When it finishes, restart the computer.

It is possible you will need an LIP or MUI pack, which you can install from the original Windows Vista DVD.

I'm using: Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601). I've never had any difficulties in seeing any random Unicode characters what people might use to "decorate" or "cool'ify" their display names.

So no need to do anything in that OS - to see the sillyness some are so fond of. :smileyfrustrated: :smileytongue:

yes thats why my windows 7 info says " it may already be enabled" Which normally it is but they can check. Which if enabled they wont be coming here to ask for help. So I assume they have windows XP or lower

I know for a fact it is not installed and enabled on XP. Cause I had to install it a long time ago lol

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

I wish i didn`t see that crap, in tags or text...

I had to go and look, I keep display names off, have from day one (of display names). Keeping display names off will get rid of a lot of the trash. I hear they are great for RP but I don't do any of that so just keep them off.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Don`t use display names either, but it`s still in group titles
:x

Unicode character abuse has spread to general chat too. In one venue there was a live concert. Well, the host had "invented" to use all kinds of Unicode characters in chat when greeting people. They had been so "clever" in selecting the characters that it was almost unreadable.

:smileyfrustrated: 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4077 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.