Scheduled and Unscheduled Inventory Database Maintenance

Imagin Illyar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is the Unscheduled Inventory Database Maintenance posted to the Grid Status Report page that started last night at 11:35pm still ongoing or has it finished?  Normally there is a post when issues are resolved but none for this.  Also, does this negate the Scheduled Inventory Database Maintenance that is posted to occur tomorrow at 5:30am?

An update to the Grid Status Page would be great considering the dire warning that "During this time, some residents will be logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in for a brief period. This maintenance may disrupt transactions, log ins and inventory functions in world."  I note that it also says to "Please check back here for updates" but updates aren't posted.

I'd like to know what to tell my tenants if they have trouble.  Pretty please update the Grid Status Report page.

Would explain why i had major problems after logging in, even had to delete cache several time and my inventory only worked when disabling "http inventory" to force it to load as default on just crapped out at 1400 items...

Half the world refused to rez, my mesh house had the outlines, but no windows or doors, clothing didn`t snap into position, etc

Took me an hour and a dozen attempts to load my little corner as it is supposed to be wich on a normal day takes 20 seconds or less :matte-motes-sour:

Won`t mention the sim crossing dissaster...

Imagin

You and several hundred others are probably wondering the same thing.  This issue with the GSP is causing untold irritation to users time and again.  Even the resident-facing Lindens like Maestro are aware of and irritated by the spasmodic and utterly unreliable nature of the GSP web page.

It seems that despite repeated requests, due to the chaotic nature of LL internal communication, no-one can or will take responsibility for this vital news source.

Of course it might just be that the Inventory server Maintenance IS still ongoing, and that maybe why SL online numbers are so uncharacteristically low today.  If that is so, it might explain the lack of an update, but it is far more likely that the Linden staff on duty this weekend cannot or cannot be bothered to update the webpage! :smileyfrustrated:

Ayesha Askham wrote:

...it is far more likely that the Linden staff on duty this weekend cannot or cannot be bothered to update the webpage! :smileyfrustrated:

Maybe they should just start posting to it when things are working correctly.

...Dres (Then they'd never have to post anything.)

Well, it is now more than 24 hours after the start of the scheduled work on the Inventory Server and in less than 3 hours the Unscheduled work will have been going for a whole day as well.

There are only two interpretations:

1) The GSP-authorised person cannot be contacted to update the page and tell us all that the work is completed

or

2) Something serious has broken and the work IS still ongoing.  Also 1). so no update can be given.

Cynics, of which there are many, will simply roll their eyes and say  "SNAFU".

This is going to leave someone at Linden Lab with a great deal of egg on their face and I strongly suspect someone is going to be "Let Go" soon.

Actually the scheduled inventory work isn't supposed to start until tomorrow morning at 5am.  The unscheduled work started at 11:35 last night so, still quite a ways away from a full day.

I hope that no one would ever be fired just for forgetting to update the GSR page.  It's inconvenient but hardly a firing offence.  One thing I think we can assume though, no one that can change the GSR page is reading the forums today :)

So a little Ninja editing makes it all OK?

Fair enough, I must've misread the time give for the scheduled Maintenance, the resolved time entry for the Unscheduled  was not made at the time it is stated to have been.  I've seen that done often enough to know that it is par for the LL course.

Just one thing.  We know that Linden Lab operate a largely work-from-home policy so there is no excuse for notices not being posted "out of hours".

No, it in itself is not a dismissal offence taken in isolation, but this is just one of many occasions.

We were told that communication was one of the things that Rodvik was going to address. So he should address it.

When you look at the last 24 hours' concurrency, it had an effect, a distinct one, so someone should be feeling the heat.  In the limit nothing will be done, so no surprises.

I am sure that Rodvik has addressed communication, but he omitted the Zip Code and dropped it in the mailbox without a stamp.

Current Status Message Status Message: Unscheduled Maintenance [RESOLVED 11:55PM PDT, 02 August 2013]

Scheduled Maintenance announced to start at 5:30 AM PDT, Monday 04 August 2013

Didn't they budget for a replacement calendar last January?

So

Here we are at 6am SLT on Monday, not 4th but 5th August.  Has anything been done to update or correct the Scheduled Inventory Server Maintenance nonsense?  No, of course not! 

I resignedly accept that somedays I don't know what date it is...senior moments come faster and thicker with the passing months, but that does not excuse Linden Lab.

The thing that I find saddest is that I am not in any way surprised.

ETA

Woo it lives! [uPDATED 8:52 AM PDT, 5 August 2013] Today’s Inventory Database Maintenance is underway.

I notice the date blooper has received Ninja editing attention too.

2nd ETA

Now 1pm PST and still the Maintenance is ongoing, or so we would be led to believe.  4 hours?   It's a BIG job!

Trin

According to the GSP it is STILL ongoing!  I have to ask - this surely cannot be right?

Coupled to the fact that the weekly updates are more or less not happening this week (only Bluesteel) and the Server Blogpost was by Caleb Linden I have to assume that Linden Lab are more or less all on holiday.

ETA:

Never say Never:

[RESOLVED 6:31 AM PDT, 6 August 2013]  The scheduled inventory database maintenance is complete.

Now that was one BIG JOB.

2nd ETA:

[RESOLVED] Unscheduled Inventory Database Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on August 6th, 2013 at 12:11 pm PDT

[RESOLVED 12:11 PM PDT, 06 August 2013] Inventory database maintenance has been completed.

[postED 11:28 AM PDT, 06 August 2013] We are undergoing unscheduled   inventory database maintenance. During this time, some residents will be   logged off and will be temporarily unable to log in for a brief period.   This maintenance may disrupt transactions, log ins and inventory   functions in world. Please check back here for updates.

Oh dear.  Here we go again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3918 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.