Attachment Animate Script

JackRipper666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I have an idea I'm trying to make work. But it's hard to see if I'm hitting attachment bones without some sort of animation exporter that can animate attachments. But I'm curious is there a way for example, say you have a .anim animation file. This file animates mToeRight but you want to take that animation and target attachment Mouth. Can a script grab that animation and target example the Mouth attachment point?

I have an animation where the bone is in the correct spot I just named it mToeRight so that I can actually animate that bone or blender won't export the animation data I am assuming, since the file becomes smaller when I export it if I named it Mouth. Anyway I use Avastar and have moved mToeRight to mouth area of a mesh character and placed the end joint of this bone right on top of the Mouth attachment joint in blender. This way it won't rip my face off if I apply weights to it also parented this bone to characters head. Then I renamed mToeRight which I took off the foot to begin with to Mouth. So now it's in the same position of the mouth attachment points in second life. I have some weight there, but I can't hit that Mouth bone because I believe my .anim file will only export animation off the attachment points. So what I decided to do is after I uploaded a mesh character with the mToeRight bone renamed to Mouth. I went back to blender and renamed the Mouth bone to mToeRight so that I can apply animation to this on exporting from blender. So I'm thinking once the .anim is uploaded it's obviously looking to animate Mouth bone on the avatar in second life. So this is where I was thinking maybe I can make a script that tells the the mesh rig take this animation that is .anim that is animating mToeRight and animate the Mouth bone with this data. This way I can see if it's even animating mToeRight. Hard to explain but I'm trying to trick SL with extra bones for deformers this way.

Total gibberish to me, sorry!

It's nice to know animators have their own techno-babble and it's not just programmers.  I think you are hitting three problems at once though: mesh-creation, avatar animation and object (attachment) scripting.

If I could understand the first two I might be able to help with the third but at the moment I have no idea what you're even trying to do.  NB: my fault, not yours, as far as I can tell.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jack.  I know this thread is a month old, but i thought I'd reply anyways. 

I have tried to change the Avatar bone hierarcy (for example making the shoulder bones be children of the Torso instead of the chest).  It didn't work.  It worked great in Blender, but when I uploaded the animation and my custom mesh in SL, the shoulder bones were children of the chest, not the torso.  I'm not sure I completely understood what you're trying to do, but I think that mToe will be forever a child of the mFoot bone, and I don't think you can change that either in an animation, or with a script. 

Tyrian Slade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.