Land impact or prim usage?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

First off, I'm sorry if i I am posting this in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to put it.

My question is when renting out a piece of land to someone should we still be going off prim limits ie: 50ls a week for 35 prims or off the land impact of the objects they place down? I know it's relativley simple to check both but I know some people won't open that more info tab for the breakdown of things.

Prims might be the wording that is still used by some people, but it can only be regulated by PE (Prim Equivalence), which is basically LI. The only way it would be possible to even see the actual prims in an object would be through that objects build window after selecting it for edit. Land and regulatory tools can only see an object's LI, so it doesn't even matter which option someone chooses to regulate, there is only one option that they are able to regulate.

ETA: Actually there are ways to tell through tools, but if someone is going to analyze every object in that much detail, they would be wasting their own resources and time. The actual number of prims in an object (as opposed to its LI) has no bearing on costs or allowances anywhere anymore.

Seule Ember wrote:

Hi all,

First off, I'm sorry if i I am posting this in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to put it.

My question is when renting out a piece of land to someone should we still be going off prim limits ie: 50ls a week for 35 prims or off the land impact of the objects they place down? I know it's relativley simple to check both but I know some people won't open that more info tab for the breakdown of things.

First off - there is a Land Forum/General Discussion which could be a good location.  However, no one really cares.

It still shows a number of prims when you check About Land/Objects to see what you have.  So unless you provide a rental tool that counts "Land Impacts" against a rental limit I'd stay with prims.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Seule Ember wrote:

Hi all,

First off - there is a Land Forum/General Discussion which could be a good location.  However, no one really cares.

It still shows a number of prims when you check About Land/Objects to see what you have.  So unless you provide a rental tool that counts "Land Impacts" against a rental limit I'd stay with prims.

I just checket both firestorm and the LL viewer, both in about land call it Land impact, and both show reduced count for a group of boxes set to convex hull.

I like this story.

Sad beginning, though. Those with queasy stomachs might not want to read it.

ETA: Now I've read it, the sad part isn't in there. (The story I had read was on another site and this one is more discreet.) Just don't click on the link to see what happened to the kitten, if you don't want to know. The upside is the kitten is getting well.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

No, it does not, and has not ever since the change to LI for accounting came about. All rental tools and About Land show LI. The number of prims in the makeup of any object actually isn't anyone's business except the creator and anyone with modify rights - all accounting is done by LI.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Seule Ember wrote:

Hi all,

I just checket both firestorm and the LL viewer, both in about land call it Land impact, and both show reduced count for a group of boxes set to convex hull.

Ahah... I see that... well yes and no.

The LL viewer lists a Region Capacity & Parcel Land Capacity.  Land Impact only shows up once - & could easily have said "Land Capacity Used"

Still - what ever is current is better.

Erik Verity wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

No, it does not, and has not ever since the change to LI for accounting came about. All rental tools and About Land show LI. The number of prims in the makeup of any object actually isn't anyone's business except the creator and anyone with modify rights - all accounting is done by LI.

Well yes it does or no it doesn't depending on what viewer you use.   Firestorm doesn't even have "About Land" but that's splitting hairs.

I'll take your word for it on the "all rental tool" bit tho cuz I'm sure you know about every single one of them.

Land Impact replaced "prim limits" so you should go by that unless you want to drive potential tenants away.

The actual number of prims no longer accurately reflects remaining pool of rezzable resources. I can have a 30 prim object that only uses 15LI. That 15LI is equivalient to 15 prims under the old system.

Also, as others have pointed out, a mesh model doesn't use prims at all. A "prim" in the context of SL specifically refers to the primitive objects created in the appearance editor. So, technically, a 1,000LI object uses 0 prims. They could suck up your entire sim's LI allotment while only being charged the minimum prim useage.

Vegro Solari wrote:

Basically it used to be all called "prims", but it was changed and it is all actually based on Land-Impact now.

But for traditon's sake and ease, lots of people just continue calling it "prims".  Even though what they really mean is always Land-Impact.

While I agree with you nothing is simple.  There is a limit on land that is a number.  The number bounced up against that limit is calculated by summing a mixture of land impact objects and prim objects.   Calling that number a prim count is not accurate.  Calling that number a Land Impact is not accurate.  I suppose someone could try to sweep it all under the rug by saying that prims are simply Land Impact Equivalent.  LOL

Regardless - for the moment the LL has decided to call it all land impact.  So it may be best to move to that term.

Although if you scan a few posting in the Land Forum you see the term PRIM frequently and no mention of Land Impact.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Vegro Solari wrote:

Basically it used to be all called "prims", but it was changed and it is all actually based on Land-Impact now.

But for traditon's sake and ease, lots of people just continue calling it "prims".  Even though what they really mean is always Land-Impact.

While I agree with you nothing is simple.  There is a limit on land that is a number.  The number bounced up against that limit is calculated by summing a mixture of land impact objects and prim objects.   Calling that number a prim count is not accurate.  Calling that number a Land Impact is not accurate.  I suppose someone could try to sweep it all under the rug by saying that prims are simply Land Impact Equivalent.  LOL

Regardless - for the moment the LL has decided to call it all land impact.  So it may be best to move to that term.

Although if you scan a few posting in the Land Forum you see the term PRIM frequently and no mention of Land Impact.

Well prims have been assigned a LI equivalent but it now appears that not all prims are created equal which adds even more to the confusion.

What is even worse is there are ways to attach a sh*t load of prims to a mesh and have them make almost no impact at all.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Vegro Solari wrote:

Well prims have been assigned a LI equivalent but it now appears that not all prims are created equal which adds even more to the confusion.

What is even worse is there are ways to attach a sh*t load of prims to a mesh and have them make almost no impact at all.

Yeah.  I think the train went off the track back when someone forgot what equivalent meant.  Instead of "equal to in value" they started thinking "exactly equal to."  It wouldn't surprise me to see Land Impact eventually become Capacity Used on Land.

CUL

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Vegro Solari wrote:

Yeah.  I think the train went off the track back when someone forgot what equivalent meant.  Instead of "equal to in value" they started thinking "exactly equal to."  It wouldn't surprise me to see Land Impact eventually become Capacity Used on Land.

CUL

Perhaps they could be called SIM/SERVER CAPACITY IMPACT UNITS.  Or SSCIM's for short.

Land impact is the only score that matters and all rezzed objects have a land impact score, some older viewers will show prim count, rather than land impact score when you view an object, but the only score that matters with regards to parcel capacity is land impact.

I find it wierd some items read prim count as one thing and then go into edit mode and LI Land Impact is something diffrent. Like one thing would be 5 prims but 150 Land Impact.s  Strange. Maybe someone has reason for that. I always thaught Prim count and LI was the same.

If I were in your position, I'd continue using the word 'prims'. 'Land impact' is a description whereas 'prim' is a noun.

I am in a similar position though. I sell 'low prim furniture' and I choose to continue selling 'low prim furniture' and 'not low land impact furniture' or 'low LI furniture'. People are used to the word 'prim'. I've changed all my furniture that can benefit from being convex hull, but I still mark each piece is terms of prims - 2 prims, or 4 prims, or 1 prim, etc. People understand that. If they were marked as 2 LI, or 4 LI, or 1 LI, I'm sure many people would think, "Eh? What's that in terms of prims?".

To be more clear, an object that's made of, say, 4 prims, but only counts as 2 LI because it's convex hull, I mark as 2 prims. because that what it counts as.

A time may come when people will think, "Eh? etc." when presented with the word "prims" instead of "LI" but I don't think it will happen for a while yet.

Of course, you could happily use the hybrid - "prims/LI". That would work very well for now.

"Land impact' is a description whereas 'prim' is a noun."

Yes. I think it's an unfortunate choice of terms. The difference is like that between a substance (current, money, land impact) and the unit used to measure it (amp, dollar, prim?). So we could perhaps say things like "the land impact of this chair is 2 prims" or  "this parcel can sustain 123 prims of land impact". Still not very pleasant or intuitive though. The olde "Prim equivalents" (units of prim equivalence?) was much more comfortable. If not "Prim", what else could the unit of land impact be?

Drongle McMahon wrote:

Yes. I think it's an unfortunate choice of terms. The difference is like that between a substance (current, money, land impact) and the unit used to measure it (amp, dollar, prim?). So we could perhaps say things like "the land impact of this chair is 2 prims" or  "this parcel can sustain 123 prims of land impact". Still not very pleasant or intuitive though. The olde "Prim equivalents" (units of prim equivalence?) was much more comfortable.
If not "Prim", what else could the unit of land impact be?

primpact? :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Drongle McMahon wrote:

Yes. I think it's an unfortunate choice of terms. The difference is like that between a substance (current, money, land impact) and the unit used to measure it (amp, dollar, prim?). So we could perhaps say things like "the land impact of this chair is 2 prims" or  "this parcel can sustain 123 prims of land impact". Still not very pleasant or intuitive though. The olde "Prim equivalents" (units of prim equivalence?) was much more comfortable.
If not "Prim", what else could the unit of land impact be?

primpact?
:)

That's what I say when I begin to particulate.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.