Images saving only as .png =/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What might have happened that any image/textures I save now off of Google are always saved as .png? I didn't change any settings on my explorer. Just one day they started saving as only .png or on the drop down .bmp. Only a couple of months ago images were being saved as .jpegs  I have to name them now cause they're (untitled) .pngs

There are free options out there to convert png's to jpeg's if you really need to. As has been said earlier this has nothing to do with how your computer is configured, it is how the images were loaded onto the website by the site's developer. PNG files are being chosen over JPEGs more and more. PNGs use lossless compression so can be edited over and over without the loss of quality that comes from doing that with JPEGs, however the PNG files usually don't compress as much so will typically be a little larger and a little slower to load.

If you get the original images, you'll no doubt find that most of them are jpegs and not pngs. It sounds like you are saving the images from Google's results pages instead of from the websites' pages where Google stole them from.

I did an image search in Google for wardrobes and I found that the result images are mixed - jpegs and pngs. But they aren't mixed randomly. They are in rows of all jpegs or all pngs. Clicking on a png image and looking at the original, I found that the original is a jpeg.

So it's Google that is changing the format to pngs, presumably to make them fit nicely into rows and/or when an image is big and lossless compression is needed for a result-size image. If you get the source images instead of the results images, I'm sure you'll get mostly jpegs. The results images are usually smaller than the originals, which means that, when a results image is expanded, it isn't as good as the original, so I'm surprised that you are saving results images.

You only mentioned Google images and what I described about them is correct. Google often changes an image's format for the results pages, If you save the originals, you'll get the original formats - mostly jpegs. I've looked at it and tested it - with IE10, incidentally.

ETA: Also, saving the originals saves the proper names, so you don't have to name them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.