Hair Fair Lag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Elisaisabel Munro wrote:

Lag people doesn't complain about lag.  That's why i inferred maybe they have a nice hardware and internet connection.. 

Nailed it right there, people complain about lag when there is actually no lag at all, it`s their pc and/or connection

When i was there 2 days ago, there was no lag, ofcourse so many people in view dropped the fps abit, but in general there wasn`t much rubber banding due to physics being down the drain (lag)

A free full body apha for you:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/by-emi-Full-Body-Alpha/4637553

As the vendor says in a humorous way:

Okay. Not exactly a news flash here: events, sales rooms, fairs, etc are laggy - It's inevitable. Lots of people. Lots of scripts. What most people don't understand is that at places like this, no one gives a f*ck how fly you look - they're all too busy trying not to lag walk across half the sim.

Am I right? Yes.

Ideally, everyone would just run around the grounds naked but since most of you are too vain or bashful to run around bald + naked here's a solution - go invisible.

Also doubles as a stalking assist.

You're welcome. 

How To: 
Take off EVERYTHING you're wearing. This includes but is not limited to: HUDs, Animation Overrides (AO's), radars, jewelry, hair, shoes, lashes, piercings, nails, clothing, pixel peens/poons/whatever-you're-in-to-i'm-not-judging, etc etc.

You're gonna look freaky. It's okay. Breathe.

Wear the alpha like you'd wear anything else in SL - double click it, or right click it and select "wear."

OH GOD, WHERE DID YOU GO?!

Exactly.

Now carry on.

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Nailed it right there, people complain about lag when there is actually no lag at all, it`s their pc and/or connection

When i was there 2 days ago, there was no lag, ofcourse so many people in view dropped the fps abit, but in general there wasn`t much rubber banding due to physics being down the drain (lag)

yeah, but you can't count on everybody to have great hardware and connection!

i know SL challenges your pc, and need to change your hardw. every once in a while.. but come on!...  hehehe

i'm not at home, so i can't wear it right now.. I use singularity 'cause i like the old viewer interface and its less laggy than the LL viewer.  Is singularity ok for those?  I already know that doesn't alloud multiple alphas... so now i'm thinking this is not for my viewer... mmm  Do you know any second party viewer with those requirements?

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

If it were me I'd put some plain prims, flat, blank texture with one color (or they can go for broke and each vendor put their own color, but, not texture) with a BUY function and call it a day. Well aside from the texture showing the product. 

That would cut WAY down on the lag. 

I dislike but also understand the vendors. Every sale donates a certain percent to a charity. 25% or 30% - I forget. I presume the scripted vendors handles this, rather than relying on trust. You can be certain that if they relied on trust, and everyone was 100% accurate and gave their proper donation - there would still be a massive drama fest on a blog somewhere about how 'that other hair seller cheated'...
:)

- this is also why the hairs are only being sold there. The charity. In past I've even bought some of the bandanas there, which I think go fully to the charity (not sure).

I'm sooooooooo with you on the plain prims though.

At least this time around EVERY SINGLE HAIR SOLD THERE can be gotten in demo form while sitting in your own lag free place and just pulling them out of the demo group notices. Then go to the blog to get the exact map coords of the seller, and go grab it. If you can get in...

Except of course they have forced landing points - meaning every visitor has to do the lag walk and lag others by so doing.

Almost got it right, closer than its been before, but not yet perfect.

Good point about the vendors. I had forgotten these things also give money to charity. 

About that being the reason the items are not sold on Marketplace, I realize this may be too sensible but why does Marketplace not offer merchants a way to funnel part of their profits to charity? Linden Lab can even limit that to certain 'vetted' charities if they wanted to. Relay for Life comes to mind - if LL has no trouble promoting those events in SL itself why would they not have thoght of a way by now to allow merchants to funnel MP proceeds to it?

And there are many other well established charities (although personally I like grass roots and or local ones better most of the time) which would surely pass the sniff test.

Some of the fairs have been doing the group demo thing for a while and I had forgotten about that also. But then I don't nkow if I want 500 demos to try on...and I like walking around a fair to get the freebie gifts and such too.

Thing is there is always a group standing around chatting for hours (you come and go they are still chatting) with their five digit ARC, gesturbating on top of it...why aren't any of the fairs moderated for things like that? I don't like a double standard or rules applied so haphazardly. I also don't like the ones that won't allow anyone to stay if their meter says bla bla because those readings often seem mistaken to me.

Anyway for those who want one I think some shops still offer the skins that have hair makeup and clothes already painted on - your ARC ends up being about a 7.

A fair should be a place people can walk around and enjoy not have to fight their way through...I'd have thought they would've gotten it all worked out by now.

Sorry not had a read all the posts but well has anyone just derended all avi's under advanced >rendering types> avatar  ?  so that the land and venders at your draw dist will load up a hell of a lot faster ? and just cam shop ?

ps thats under firestorm not sure with other TPV or LLV ctrl=+alt+shift+3

Elisaisabel Munro wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

i know SL challenges your pc, and need to change your hardw. every once in a while.. but come on!...  hehehe

Where do you read me saying that?

I said that lag is a personal matter as every one blames lag on SL and not their awsome or crappy pc and try working around it, all i said is that the sim performance was good and people complain about lag

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Elisaisabel Munro wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

I said that lag is a personal matter as every one blames lag on SL and not their awsome or crappy pc and try working around it, all i said is that the sim performance was good and people complain about lag

While the server lag may not be that bad the reason why people's computers freak out when loading a lot of people sometimes has to do with the lag inducing scripts or (probably even more frequently) the HUGE TEXTURES that people put on there outfits needlessly. This of course is probably a symptom of being a user made world of course but it is a factor especially for people on bad internet/bad computers.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

Elisaisabel Munro wrote:

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

While the server lag may not be that bad the reason why people's computers freak out when loading a lot of people sometimes has to do with the lag inducing scripts or (probably even more frequently) the HUGE TEXTURES that people put on there outfits needlessly. This of course is probably a symptom of being a user made world of course but it is a factor especially for people on bad internet/bad computers.

That`s the point, there was no lag

i dont have a bad pc or connection.  As i said earlier, happens only on really crowded events, like this one.  and of course, its my pc, so?  It's almost everybody's PC.  You are surrounded by people.  If you don't care about others, then don't play SL.

I'm coming now with full body alpha and it is better than a couple of days ago.  My avatar rendering cost its 1. I'm not seeing people with arc trough the roof like before.  I like it.   its how it should be!

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://whos.amung.us/swidget/pluginta.png" border="0" />

It's the builds and the build's scripts that are the problem, though. Yes, I've tried all of that with the avatars themselves.

penfold83 wrote:

Sorry not had a read all the posts but well has anyone just derended all avi's under advanced >rendering types> avatar  ?  so that the land and venders at your draw dist will load up a hell of a lot faster ? and just cam shop ?

ps thats under firestorm not sure with other TPV or LLV ctrl=+alt+shift+3

Melita Magic wrote:

Good point about the vendors. I had forgotten these things also give money to charity. 

About that being the reason the items are not sold on Marketplace, I realize this may be too sensible but why does Marketplace not offer merchants a way to funnel part of their profits to charity? Linden Lab can even limit that to certain 'vetted' charities if they wanted to. Relay for Life comes to mind - if LL has no trouble promoting those events in SL itself why would they not have thoght of a way by now to allow merchants to funnel MP proceeds to it?

The MP does have a system to split profits and profits going to charity would come under that system; however, there is currently "another" HUGE bug in the MP where designers who have always used the split profit system (such as a team where each member does part of the work for a product) has suddenly stopped working; as well as a related bug that seemed to crop up at the same time where many merchants were not receiving the money for their sales, although the item was delivered to the customers.

And I still have mixed listings on my MP store, even though CommerceTeam Linden says it's fixed. :matte-motes-mad:

I had heard MP was having problems lately (more so than normal) - I read about that in the meeroo group. They (meeroo makers) pulled almost all their listing from MP due to the money not going where it should. That is probably a lot of lost MP revenue. They only left one emergency food bowl on MP.

I have asked creators in the past why they didn't put their huge sales on MP too, so the stores are not lagged out the whole time, and they said it is too much work.

I think they make so much without putting things on MP they dont worry about it. But their customers do suffer. Some recent hair shops that had huge sales were very hard to shop in. I managed to get some at one but almost none at another. With all the $$ they make I wish they would be more forward thinking than that.

I did not know MP already has a way to send money to charity, then to me, that's just backward that the huge laggy sales and fairs do not also use MP for their customers sakes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3948 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.