Happy Bastille Day!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

July 14 is Bastille Day. The anniversary of the day when ordinary citizens stormed the symbol of tyrannical power and set some of its victims free. 

Happy Bastille Day to our French brothers, sisters, friends and furries, and all those who would join in the celebration of freedom.

Ha ha. They celebrate it the same way we celebrate Independence Day: by blowing stuff up!

Tower Bastille Day 2013.jpg

I was hoping to find a pic with fireworks in tricolor but could not.

In France it is no longer called 'Bastille Day' although the holiday is celebrated on that date for obvious reasons. It is called 'The National Celebration' and has all the parades and speeches and fireworks something like that deserves.

I've always liked that our (USA) day of independence is in the same month as that of France. Where would we have been without the Marquis de la Fayette? Happy Bastille Day (even if that is really not its name) to Val and Trin and all our other forumites from France.

heheheheh so kind of you !

thank you ! 

yes we have fireworks, balls etc... it must be like your july 4th.

it comemorate the day the ppl took the Bastille (royal jail) like a symbol.. they opened the doors and left everyone goes outside after the king's wife said that if ppl doesnt have bread to eat they still can eat "madeleines" (or smth like this, sorry its late, my brain is tired) displaying she was paying no mind that ppl was starving.

The monthes that follow were less glorious (known as the "Terreur" period) and its only 4 years later than we cut the king's head... 

Probably that the ppl who made the revolution at this time would be sad if they see how we make the world today.... Privileges never stopped.....

Anyway thank your for this so kind thread :smileywink:

Thank you for the posts, Dillon and Trinity.

So it's National Celebration now? I didn't know that...thanks. How is it said in French?

Interesting facts about the history...I do wonder what they would think of today's societies also.

Have fun today (or tonight, as it is...)

To the best of my knowledge the official title is 'La Fète Nationale', although the same place I saw that listed as the actual name suggested that in France it is commonly called 'le quatorze Juillet', much like Independence Day is called the Fourth of July in the US.

And to W Anton: a 'madeleine' translates from French to English as a 'cake'. My reading of history leads me to believe that French was Marie Antoinette's language of choice. There are certain cakes that are called 'madeleines' in English; there may be certain cakes that are not called 'madeleines' in French.

A Madelaine is something else altogether; time does not permit expanding on that subject now.

ah yes Griffin it was "brioche"... well, my memory was tired after a long day working. 

And yes, Marie-Antoinette haven't probably said it (like, anyway, a lot of historical quotes that are supposed to be said but never have been said, at least in the form we know them). But we keep it for the symbol : the arrogance of the king toward the people.

So we learn it like this at school. Sadly its not the only erroneous thing they teach there lol. I guess what they want we keep, its the symbol itself...maybe to keep it short and strinking, or to make it acceptable that she had her head cut aswell. Idk....

yep Dillon

A madeleine is this : 

madeleines.jpg 

specially great with a cup of coffee but not only that.

Marcel Proust made them famous in his books "A la recherche du temps perdu" making them the symbol of smth that remind the old times. When we say "its my Proust's madeleine" it means its smth that remind me strongly smth that used to happen often in my young age... it can be a cake that used to make my mother but not only, we say it for a lot of thing.. The thing reminded has to have been recurrent and have happened long time ago and of course smth we liked.

We also have the word "Cake" but its only for a certain type of cake (lol the sentence is funny said in english ) 

cake.jpg

Also great with coffee lol....

Well, we have tons of other cakes... we are gluttons as hell lol

Happy Belated Bastille Day, Trinity, and others who celebrate!  At Disney Epcot in the Showcase of Nations, one of my favorite pavilions is the French pavilion - for one thing I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the little carts where one can buy food - my favorite being champagne and escargot. (YES!!! I LOVE escargot.) 

The French pavilion's "exhibit" is a movie that shows different areas and lifestyles in France with the background music being all by French composers.  It opens in a very relaxing manner with a Debussy piano tune playing and the end always sends shivers down my back - the video is obviously shot from someone within the elevatar that goes up within the Eiffel Tower.  It's taken at night so it gradually shows the lovely city lights..the music that is playing is a heavy organ Baroque - "Maestoso - Allegro" from the 2nd movement of Symphony no. 3 (Organ Symphony) by Camille Saint-Saëns.  I LOVE that music so much I purchased a CD that has it all.

After leaving the movie, you immediately enter a patesserie - TONS of amazing, rich, scrumptious desserts!!!!!

Impressions de France

From Theme Park Insider

Ok, now I want to go there!!!!

Thank you so much for all of the posts! So much food for thought - I was going to say pun sort of intended but as Dillon detests puns (hehe) I will say no pun intended. :D

(there really wasn't...I just have a way of running into them headlong)

Also sorry for not having posted the thread sooner but, I had a lot of internet trouble the past few days....

Hope everyone's celebration was fun!

xo

Melita

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.