Trouble with parcel privacy settings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted this once, mistakenly in Commerce/Merchants, because that is where I left my browser and did not catch it right away while posting.  A moderator was "kind" enough to move it to Land/General Discussion where it has been languishing over the past 6 hours with nary a comment.  I am reposting it here, despite the possible repercussions, to possibly get at least a response.

I have a rented parcel on Zoha Islands, Serenity Cay, and I just discovered today that I am unable to turn off the privacy option that prevents avatars on other parcels seeing avatars on my parcel.  I rarely leave my parcel, and do not know how long this has been happening.  I had a land manager come out to try to help, and they were unable to determine why either.  I mused that perhaps this has to do with a change in the viewer and the servers in preparation for SSB.  I am using Firestorm 4.4.2.  I unchecked and rechecked the option.  The sim was restarted.  Nothing has helped. Has anyone else seen this? The sim is running Second Life Server 13.06.18.277494.  My parcel is a shop, and I hate to think that it looks abandoned all the time... 

They all are working on our parcels. I'm using FS 4.4.2 as well. How do you know it's not showing you when it is checked? Has someone told you they can't see you? The manager should be on live chat or filing a ticket with LL to have this checked out. Have you filed a ticket?

Jacki

I first noticed it when I had stepped out of my parcel while a customer was there, and noticing her disappear from my view.  As I walked back in, she would poof into view again with a cloud. This happened time after time.  The estate manager came and we tried it on each other, both having the same happen.  I unchecked the option, rechecked it, no change.  Sim restart, no change.  The manager had me turn off and on restrict sound on advice from someone else (not sure why), and it made no difference.  The setting is stuck in not allowing avatars outside of the parcel to see avatars within the parcel.  

Make sure the parcel your stepping onto when you leave your parcel doesn't have it on too. If it is off then something is wrong with the sim. LL needs to come out and check it. :)

The manager, sim owner or you can file a ticket and get them to look at the sim.

Jacki

ETA Try the official viewer too.

The adjoining parcel was set to privacy, and the manager cannot change that setting (only the actual sim owner), but that should not affect my parcel.  If the setting is true in its definition, as I understand it, then avatars standing within my parcel should be able to be seen from other parcels.  We will see what happens with the full implentation of SSB, and move on from there I guess.  :smileysad:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

The adjoining parcel was set to privacy, and the manager cannot change that setting (only the actual sim owner), but that should not affect my parcel.  If the setting is true in its definition, as I understand it, then avatars standing within my parcel should be able to be seen from other parcels.  We will see what happens with the full implentation of SSB, and move on from there I guess.  :smileysad:

This a two way setting. I've tested this a while ago, when one turns privacy on not only avatars inside outside the parcel cannot see the ones in the parcel, but the avs in cannot see those there are outside. You have to test this from a parcel with privacy off.

Seems to me it works exactly like it should, you just don't understand the setting.

Like said b4 it's a 2way option. In case you are the only parcel on this sim that flips the option it will have absolutely no effect.

If the setting is off you will be able to look into all other parcels that are set to off too.

Nova Convair wrote:

Seems to me it works exactly like it should, you just don't understand the setting.

Like said b4 it's a 2way option. In case you are the only parcel on this sim that flips the option
it will have absolutely no effect.

If the setting is off you will be able to look into all other parcels that are set to off too.

When 'see & chat with...' is unchecked AVs who are on below the ban line height will not see those above the ban line height and vice versa.   So there is an effect.  It may not seem like a useful effect on a single parcel sim.  I can imagine a use though.  Allowing public access with a landing point at a sky platform and a security orb keeping people out of the parcel below the banline height for instance.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Nova Convair wrote:

Like said b4 it's a 2way option. In case you are the only parcel on this sim that flips the option

When 'see & chat with...' is unchecked AVs who are on below the ban line height will not see those above the ban line height and vice versa.   So there is an effect.  It may not seem like a useful effect on a single parcel sim.  I can imagine a use though.  Allowing public access with a landing point at a sky platform and a security orb keeping people out of the parcel below the banline height for instance.

Thats meaningless.

The OP didnt write about banlines, he even wants to set the restrictions OFF.

Nova Convair wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Nova Convair wrote:

Thats meaningless.

The OP didnt write about banlines, he even wants to set the restrictions OFF.

Well.  That's almost rude.

The point of my 'pointless' post was to correct your erroneous statement rather than to solve the ops problem.

Restrictions on and off don't change the ban line height.  The visibility effect is the same with or without turning on ban lines.   (Although it is easier to see where the ban lines end with them turned on.)

/me now bites my tongue

To keep this alive, and add a little info, the privacy icon in the menu bar does appear and disappear as I toggle the setting i Land Options.  I suppose this means the information is going to the server and back to the viewer.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

To keep this alive, and add a little info, the privacy icon in the menu bar does appear and disappear as I toggle the setting i Land Options.  I suppose this means the information is going to the server and back to the viewer.  

I think things are working as designed.  The problem is the text describing the option doesn't tell the whole story.  Actually I don't think its possible to tell the whole story in a sentence. 

I made a little table to show who could see who between two parcels with all combinations of 'see & talk to' settings.  Bottom line is both parcels need to have 'see & talk to' enabled to see AVs on the 'other' parcel.   Within a parcel 'see & talk to' needs to be enabled to see other AVs in the same parcel who are on the other side of the ban line height.  The ban line height effect is there with or without ban lines turned on.

Visibility logic.PNG

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I think things are working as designed.  The problem is the text describing the option doesn't tell the whole story.  

Well, this is very unfortunate, that I am being forced into a level of privacy (which feels like exclusion) I do not wish to have because of the settings of my neighboring parcels.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I think things are working as designed.  The problem is the text describing the option doesn't tell the whole story.  

Well, this is very unfortunate, that I am being forced into a level of privacy (which feels like exclusion) I do not wish to have because of the settings of my neighboring parcels.  

I was going to say the same as Qwalyphi.  It is definitely NOT the only place where the text can be misleading.

The last time this came up I did some searching through the Wiki and never did find a place where it was clearly explained.  I for one also discovered that I could not see out from my parcel by experience also.  It came as a surprise.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.