unique ID for different products and same script.

Saiko

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i made this hud that is a texture changer, anyway, i wanna keep using it for all my products but just modding the texture uuids i have as strings in the begining so i dont have to touch everything else.

My problem is yes i can give it to my customers without a problem between them BUT if i were to use in more than one product same messages and channesl, it would change some of the other products by mistake, im stressed already with this and i know this might be something really dumb but is there a way to have a unique channel for person but also a unique ID per product that doesnt need the name of the object or key but maybe somethign else? so i only change that ID per product instead of changing the channels or the messages between the hud and the items, any idea is welcome. 

Thanks in advance for anyone that could give me some light on this.

I apologize in advance for the suggestion because this not my field, but you could transmit its id at the onrez stage to the HUD and store it in a list, but as i said there probably better ways to do it. On my own personal rezzers i have the messages very tight and limited to very shorrt bradcast radii.

Are keeping the messages tight useing &&

ie if (channel == 1 && message == "what ever") this would mean both would have to agree.

you could increase this to include owner id and so on

Dead simple answer: make the channel you use a variable and set it per product.

If you are not already doing so, make sure the listener script verifies ownership of the HUD before doing anything or people will use their own hud to change other people's things (unless that is what you want).

There are other ways, this is just a simple way.

Hi Saiko

Here could be another way...

Have a look at this for llDialog controls. Now, I know you aren't using a dialog but it discusses ways of generating channels that should (might) suit your needs.  If you're worried about people being able to guess the channel you could always add an integer of your choosing.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlDialog

As to the unique ID of the product - wouldn't a string at the top of script included in the listen as a filter be sufficient?

There are probably way more elegant ways of handling this but it might be a step in the right direction :)

Black

hint: Seach the page for (string)llGetOwner()

Look at Rolig's post in the following thread.   I use this concept it most of my devices, though I get the device Key in stead of the owner key so that the communication is specific to device. For your use though, the owner key should be exactly what you need.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/communicate-information-from-one-script-to-another/m-p/1541339/highlight/true#M11009

--||-
  • Like 1

Thanks the offset one should work for me i just thought i could use a string somewhere but i couldnt filter just one msg when i was getting many for different parts of the HUD, the offset is def the way to go didnt want to edit that bunch of stuff thanks guys for all the suggestions! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3966 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.