Question about people who were born on SL from 2003-2005ish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

I've noticed something.

People with older avatars look more like a noob than any of us.

They tend to keep the old style of skin/looks instead of converting to the new looks and new new new.

Why is that?

You might be seeing a selection bias. Generally anyone who would wear extremely old technology would have been around back when it was typical - now they are conspicuous so you look at their profiles and see they were indeed in SL that long ago. Someone in SL equally long who keeps more current wouldn't attract your attention so you wouldn't bother to note their original rezz date. I've got friends from 2003 and 2005 who you'd never think of as having an "old-fashioned" avatar.

itsanabanana wrote:

...Do you notice it being mostly guys? Guys tend to be more satisfied just sticking with what they got. I've known guys on SL who hadn't changed their avatars clothes for months. And more than a few of them only updated their wardrobe or appearance because some gals did the shopping/picking things out for them....!

Have we met?  I last updated my avatar about early 2011, although I have about 15 'outfits' that I change between depending on location/activity.

How would define 'fashionable' in SL though?  Especially bearing in mind that even in 2011 my computer could barely cope with the 'modern' graphics features of SL, so didn't have the faintest idea what my avatar looked like to other people.

Carl Thibodeaux wrote:

I've noticed something.

People with older avatars look more like a noob than any of us.

They tend to keep the old style of skin/looks instead of converting to the new looks and new new new.

Why is that?

Funny you should say that because someone has been telling me lately that I look like a noob. I've been here since 2006 and there's nothing about my avatar from the Library, and I have a reasonable AO, but I apparently look like a noob :)

It's true that I don't buy clothes or skins. I bought the skin in my early days and the clothes I have were bought for me years ago.

ETA: The girl who says I look like a noob wanted to change what I look like, so she TPed me to a shop and pointed out an outfit for me. I already had pants like the ones she pointed to - from years ago - and a shirt of the same colour as the one in the outfit. The only thing I didn't have was the brown leather jacket. Even so, I'm truly puzzled why she thinks I look like a noob, and what non-noob looking male avatars look like. To me, a person looks like a noob if they don't have an AO and/or is wearing an outfit from the Library.

Sept 2006 here.  My RL daughter was already an established creator in SL, and about 2 weeks after I joined she bought me the skin and hair I still have -- Male Tawny v2 with full beard by Max, and Messy Sunkissed by Tami McCoy.  They were both top of the line at the time.  I have thought about upgrading, but as some others have pointed out, it's who I am, and I don't know if I want to appear differently.  The shape I developed and tweaked on my own over time.  I have a few clothes in my inventory, some formal stuff, some casual stuff, biker stuff (friends used to own Slurgis biker sim), and beach wear (mostly what I created).  What I wear now is my "brand" look -- a breechclout and grass anklets -- which I also made.  I mostly hang out at my shop and cannot remember the last time I needed to change.  When my wife was in game with me we would dress up and go to the Blue Note for dancing, and occasionally I would change just because she asked me to, but now I am just bumming around in my jungle clothes and am very comfortable in them.  :smileyhappy:

The first guy does look like a noob but only because he hasn't changed his skin since he joined, or he acquired a noob-looking skin. I have a decent skin - chosen buy a girlfriend at the time, and I don't think I look like a noob at all. But that's just my view :)

I'd rather not wear the clothes that the second guy is wearing - they're just not me at all. I'd much rather wear the clothes that the first huy is wearing. Together with a good shape and skin, he'd look fine.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Sept 2006 here.  My RL daughter was already an established creator in SL, and about 2 weeks after I joined she bought me the skin and hair I still have -- Male Tawny v2 with full beard by Max, and Messy Sunkissed by Tami McCoy.  They were both top of the line at the time.

Joined in 2007 two weeks before my former partner.  I think he got his hair at Tami McCoy.  He only had two styles in the three years we were together - his original when I met him was a long mail ponytail pulled back and shortly thereafter purchased long hair with part of it pulled back.  He was one of the VERY few, if not only, blonde guy I saw back then.

Phil Deakins wrote:

The first guy does look like a noob but only because he hasn't changed his skin since he joined, or he acquired a noob-looking skin. I have a decent skin - chosen buy a girlfriend at the time, and I don't think I look like a noob at all. But that's just my view
:)

I'd rather not wear the clothes that the second guy is wearing - they're just not me at all. I'd much rather wear the clothes that the first huy is wearing. Together with a good shape and skin, he'd look fine.

The first guy was in his noob skin from the inventory library afaik; the outfit he's wearing is a Star Trek Fleet Commander something-or-other including the booster pack/whatever on his belt.  He was looking for a "wife" to accompany him to the Star Trek rp military balls or some such.  That never happened...lol.

That is my favorite photo of the second guy and the style of clothes I love seeing a man wear in SL.  Of course that was dressing for the occasion; I have less dressy clothes as well but I do love a well-turned out gentleman.  We were originally going dancing at the Avilion Castle but I wasn't permitted inside because I was told the slit up the side of the gown was too high; thus we opted for dancing in a lovely outdoor setting.

I intentionally allowed the typing animation in my AO because it helps when dealing with customers. In an open chat dialog, I like to know that the customer is in the process of responding to me, so I like them to know that I'm in the process of responding to them. Otherwise long silences occur when a person is actually typing - so long that it's very easy to think that the conversation has finished, and walk or TP away, thinking that the other person was a little rude for not responding. That's the reason I have it, and I'll keep it for that reason :) It might look a bit silly in a venue - club and such - but I haven't gone to any of those in years.

It's very kind of you to offer to help me to update my avatar but I honestly don't think that it needs updating at all. My skin is good (skins haven't improved over the years), my shape is what I want (self-made), my hair is good (hair is hair, after all), and my old clothes are the same as the 'updated' ones that were recently suggested to me. I could probably do with some decent shoes and, because of that, I didn't wear any shoes for years.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I intentionally allowed the typing animation in my AO because it helps when dealing with customers. In an open chat dialog, I like to know that the customer is in the process of responding to me, so I like them to know that I'm in the process of responding to them. Otherwise long silences occur when a person is actually typing - so long that it's very easy to think that the conversation has finished, and walk or TP away, thinking that the other person was a little rude for not responding.

I use the typing animation in those situations as well as when I used to teach for the same reason, otherwise people have no idea I'm responding.  Fortunately turning the typing AO on/off within the viewer is easy now; it used to be more of a hassle when I first began SL.  I have a collection of animation overrider gadgets (Ie. writing in a book), depending on what I'm wearing but sometimes I switch to typing AO quickly and don't equip one.

Recently I've been seeing some AOs that include a hand movement that indicates a person is talking.  I'm trying to find one of those as that would be really handy.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I intentionally allowed the typing animation in my AO because it helps when dealing with customers. In an open chat dialog, I like to know that the customer is in the process of responding to me, so I like them to know that I'm in the process of responding to them. Otherwise long silences occur when a person is actually typing - so long that it's very easy to think that the conversation has finished, and walk or TP away, thinking that the other person was a little rude for not responding. That's the reason I have it, and I'll keep it for that reason
It might look a bit silly in a venue - club and such - but I haven't gone to any of those in years.

It's very kind of you to offer to help me to update my avatar but I honestly don't think that it needs updating at all. My skin is good (skins haven't improved over the years), my shape is what I want (self-made), my hair is good (hair is hair, after all), and my old clothes are the same as the 'updated' ones that were recently suggested to me. I could probably do with some decent shoes and, because of that, I didn't wear any shoes for years.

lol Phil

First i wasnt asking why you use it or no. This is your own choice...

but just a lot of ppl think right away someone using the typing anim is a noob.. I do it too sometimes... i was just telling a guess for why this person told you what you said.

now about your worry for ppl now you are typing (and thats a nice intention from you) you have to know that there are several other ways for ppl to know it without you using this animation, and these settings are the one by default. So if they dont intentionally stop them they should get them :

-- hear a typing sound when someone is typing.

-- gettting the lil dots above the head of the person who is talking 

So they know you are typing anyway.

(This is what i use to know if someone is typing)

That said, my offer for coaching you for a relook was purely interested, i was hoping that you would do some shopping for me too lol.....naaaaa.. im just teasing you...:smileywink:

@Czari, yep, my AO moves my hand while i m typing too

Yes, I've seen AOs that indicate typing without the default typing animation, but what I've seen is only recognisable after being with a person for a bit of time so, with customers, I prefer the unmistakable animation.

Since I created my AO myself, I could add a button to turn the typing animation on and off, of course - if I wanted to, that is :)

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yes, I've seen AOs that indicate typing without the default typing animation, but what I've seen is only recognisable after being with a person for a bit of time so, with customers, I prefer the unmistakable animation.

Since I created my AO myself, I could add a button to turn the typing animation on and off, of course - if I wanted to, that is

You could also click off the option in the viewer. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4073 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.