I want to run this game in beyond ultra settings. Help me build a desktop please!

00stevey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Parts have to be from newegg.com I have a preferred account 

Budget: $3600 USD

Just the tower, I'm all set on monitor mouse and keyboard 

intel and nvidia only

I haven't built a desktop since 2008 and for some reason my 9800 isn't as good as a 300. What's with the lower numbers being better? I'm so confused.

I'm gonna be building mesh stuff now and I need this game to run in ALL SLIDERS TO THE RIGHT MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE SUPER CRAZY ULTRA ULTRA so I can be sure the stuff I make is 100% perfect and to make really neato videos.

Along with needing intel and nvidia, my only other guidelines are I'd prefer a huge tower with great airflow because I don't want to bother with water cooling (I have a 13,000 btu air conditioner set to 60 F it's already the north pole in my room) and a power supply with 80 plus platinum power savings.

I'm really worried I'm gonna choose the wrong stuff. The way they name these products is confusing the junk out of me. There's a graphics card for $1000 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121724 but is that really the best one? I don't even know, I don't know how to tell, I can't stand this please help me. 

Please, PLEASE only suggest things that are gonna run this game with every setting maxed. I'm not sure what to do about the hard drive situation but if it's best to go with two, one for the OS one for games that's fine, I don't know if SSD is good nowadays, but I do know I won't need more than 500gb.

My nose smells a troll...

Someone who seems to have enough knowledge to be building a very high-end system (complete with a $1000 state of the art Nvidia Titan GPU), specifies certain parameters for parts and yet, comes off as a helpless newbie seeking advice. Something doesn't pass the smell test here.

If you're a real person asking for advice and not a troll or bot, my apologies but, this seems very odd to me.

You notice how I asked if that's the best card? I don't know. I know it's the most expensive but that doesn't mean it's the newest and best. Like I said I haven't built a desktop since 2008 and for some reason lower numbers are better now and I want to be completely positive what I'm getting will run this game in complete ultra settings. I'm at builders brewery right now taking the blender class, there's that and if you can help me and need further proof I'm real I'll video chat with you if that's what it takes. I've tried researching as best I can but I have a really bad back and can't sit down too long and the more I research the more confused I am.

00stevey wrote:

I haven't built a desktop since 2008 and for some reason my 9800 isn't as good as a 300. What's with the lower numbers being better? I'm so confused.

If you're talking about Nvidia gpus and their rather confusing numbering system, take a look at the Wikipedia article about them. 

Briefly, the numbering series that used 4 figures (so, a 9800) is an older series than the one that uses 3 numbers.   So the 300 series is newer than the 9xxx series, but it's pretty old itself, since the newest series is the 700 one.     

In both numbering sequences, the first figure tells you what series it is, and the remaining figures tell you what the card's spec is.    So, for example, a GTX 690 is an older model than a GTX 760, but a higher spec.   

Both, though, would be more than adequate for running SL on ultra graphics.

Ok, you're definitely not a bot so, my apologies.

Right now the very best GPU Nvidia makes is the Titan. Several companies make a card based on it. (Personally, I'd go with the EVGA brand Titan)

If you give me a yell in world or send me a notecard I'll be happy to chat with you.

I'd suggest:

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

ASUS P9X79 WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

32 GB fast RAM-Check the board compatibility list, and buy one 32 GB kit

ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5 GeForce GTX TITAN 6GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

SSD at least large enough for programs.

You should still have enough left in your budget for case, PSU, optical drive, etc.

My system is the Core i7-3930K, ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard, 32 GB DDR3 2400 RAM, GTX-580. (Actually 2 GTX-580s, but I saw absolutely no change when the second one was added.), 256 GB SSD for programs and SL cache.  It runs SL a lot better than my previous Core 2 Quad, GTX-470, 8 GB system did.  I usually run SL with all graphics settings at the maximum, except draw distance, which I frequently change according to what I'm doing.  I think my bottleneck is the speed at which LL's servers can send data.

I know this is overkill, but I don't understand where the bottlenecks are, so I don't know which specific parts are overkill.  With your budget, it really doesn't matter.

FWIW, with the suggested CPU and motherboard, overclocking is extremely easy; you don't have to understand it, you just click on a button and the software does it for you.  So you probably want a good CPU cooler.

The reviews on that mobo go all the way back to 2011. Is it just as good as something released yesterday? I'm trying to build a desktop that's not already two years out of date ya know? I think I also forgot to mention I want dual bios. The mobo I have in my shopping cart is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128596 not counting dual bios is your suggestion 100% just as good or better even though it's a lot older? Hell I'm not even sure about the one I posted, I can't tell but from the comments it might require mandatory water cooling and I want to just use air cooling. Ah boy.

The cpu also goes back to 2011. It's just as good as whatever the newest one is that's currenlty leaving intel's doorstep?

For the hard drive I chose http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147190 then I just noticed in the comments for that it might not be what I'm looking for. I don't know what to chooooooooosssssseeeeeeee. 

I just have a superficial understanding of a lot of this tech stuff, and I am certainly not an authority.  However, my understanding is that the X79 chipset and the LGA 2011 CPUs that work with it are more powerful than the Z87 chipset and the LGA 1150 CPUs that work with it, even though the latter are newer.  Also, I notice that the board you reference has only four RAM sockets, instead of eight.

My comments were mostly based on my extreme satisfaction with my system.  I honestly think that all of the delays I experience are due to LL's servers not sending data fast enough.   One thing that is really great is that I don't really understand overclocking, except the principle, but with the motherboard, CPU, and sofftware that came with the motherboard, I was able to just click on a button, and in a few minutes I had a system that was running at the fastest stable clock speed, which was a 30% overclock.

I suggest asking questions on some on the hardware sites on the Web.

Jean Horten wrote:

Any motherboard that uses  BIOS is better than these modern  'Thou shall not use anything else but Windows' UEFI motherboards.

Progress? No,  an evil move by an evil company  to monopolize the market

J.

Only if you don't want to run Windows.  I'm not sophisticated enough to use Linux, and I hate the way Apple locks everything down to keep me from doing anything they didn't intend for me to do, as well as that choices of hardware and software are so limited.  Besides, if you think Microsoft is bad, where does that leave Apple, which rather heavy-handedly limits what can be done with their devices much more than Microsoft and Windows computer makers?

you seem to just want to pick apart any suggestions people make..

Why don't you head to your local computer repair shop and ask them to make a custom rig for you.. I am sure they can answer all of your tech questions.

ETA.

Why the need to run in ultra? It's not a game. You will be wasting memory just to see things with settings a lot of people don't use.

Here's some screenshots I took: http://2fjs.com/thread-568.html

I got a gamecon 780 headset too, if you're in the market for a headset WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. WOW. WOW. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW WOW. WOW WOW WOW.

Why? Why not, that's why.  Now I get to see things with settings a lot of people can't use. (and let me copy paste part of my original post here I guess you missed my original post: "I'm gonna be building mesh stuff now and I need this game to run in ALL SLIDERS TO THE RIGHT MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE SUPER CRAZY ULTRA ULTRA so I can be sure the stuff I make is 100% perfect and to make really neato videos." I want to make sure the things I create are completely perfect, because if I'm not the best I don't deserve to exist that's just how I live my life okay cool)

I'm using Datamram RAMDisk for my cache oh man, oh buddy oh pal oh broski oh goodness 

After many hours of picking apart suggestions, including my own, changing my final checkout cart about 50 times, I went with the following. I'm in ultra ultra ultra settings, 16xAA shadow quality 4.0 everything is as high as it'll go, and wow. Yeah, wow. That's why.

tower: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147157

psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139039

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130899

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

hdd (ssd): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147194

hdd (4tb): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178338

When I was installing drivers and such I told my friend I had to restart on steam and windows 8 restarted so fast that the timestamp when I said back was actually a minute ahead. This thing is so fast it time travels. It was also just under $3000 because I couldn't even reach my $3600 budget because this rig is already as good as it gets.

So if anyone wants to know the rig to build to run this game in ultra-ultra, this is it. Since it can do that, I don't see it not being able to run every other game maxed either since other games aren't a terribly coded nightmare like this game. Of course, before I even clicked order this rig became outdated, and by next week it'll be considered a dinosaur, but that's today's world for ya. The good news is even though second life is becoming a prettier game, it's going to become easier to run since mesh is going to lower object counts on our screens by literally thousands, making it more like normal games. So even if you wait for the prices to drop (or if you're reading this in the future and prices have already dropped) this rig is just gonna be performing even BETTER than what it does now! Which is perfectly! Oh man I am so happy! 

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.