Photoshop & transparency

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Im trying to design a texture for a top layer, I just draw a simple square to test it on me.

I set a % transparency (through photoshop) and looks as I want it on me.

Then in photoshop I duplicate this square, I remove the color fill and I just add a border. The duplicated layer is on top of the first one. So now there is a simple shape with some transparency and a border with no transparency.

However, trying it in world its different, there is not anymore transparency in the square !

Could somebody tell me whats the trick to achieve the desired result?

Thank you for your time.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

save your file as png or tga .

Dont use jpg format otherwise you wont get the transparency

And you must check the alpha channel box when you save as TGA, or it will be saved as 24-bit only with no transparency.

ETA: I just checked. If the PSD file has an alpha channel, you must check the "Alpha Channels" box when saving as TGA. If the file has embedded transparency, you must select 32-bits/channel when saving.

Sorry to forget to mention that, I already saving the final file as png.

When Im testing with the first layer (the one that has the transparency) everything is ok. The problem appears when Im adding the second layer (which hasnt transparency).

Thank you for your replies!

hum can u tell me how you remove the color fill ? if you do it from the cursor under opacity, it doesnt create transparency.. you keep the effects on the layer. So i dont think ull get the same effect than with a real transparency anyway.

if its a simple square with the border. select all, then go in modify selection and select border, set the size of your border and inverse the selection and then cut ("delete" key). only the border will remain on your layer. and nothing in the center, so transparency will be ok

XbabylonX wrote:

When Im testing with the first layer (the one that has the transparency) everything is ok. The problem appears when Im adding the second layer (which hasnt transparency).

Thank you for your replies!

Okay, if I understand this correctly, what you want is a solid frame with a transparent center rectangle, like a window in a wall?

Does your PSD image have the checkboard transparent background showing when you view it in Photoshop? As I recall, the background of a PSD file cannot have transparency. I usually convert the background into a layer, then delete all the pixels before starting my constructions. That gives me a transparent drawing board.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

hum can u tell me how you remove the color fill ? if you do it from the cursor under opacity, it doesnt create transparency.. you keep the effects on the layer. So i dont think ull get the same effect than with a real transparency anyway.

if its a simple square with the border. select all, then go in modify selection and select border, set the size of your border and inverse the selection and then cut ("delete" key). only the border will remain on your layer. and nothing in the center, so transparency will be ok

I think you're on the right track, Trin.

lol Maddy, im not at home on my comp with my pshop, and on top, you know my problem with english language lol.. my pshop is in english, but my brain works in french, so its a lil complicated for me to explain photoshop things even in french lol bec of the 2 languages mix when i work on this software lol....

but i think that the "fill color" that the OP tells about may be the cursor below the opacity one.. So if its this.. it cant give transparency even if its at 0. its not like opacity cursor.. There are 2 cursors, that s because there is a difference , indeed lol....

Yes, the canvas background is transparent (grey-white squares).

There is no problem when trying it with one layer, I set the transparency through the Layers window with the "Opacity" slider. :(

Also I should mention that the square has been drawn with the pen and its not rasterized because I want to be able to change the color

XbabylonX wrote:

Then in photoshop I duplicate this square, I remove the color fill and I just add a border. 

if you remove the color fill with the "opacity" cursor, i can you see the frame around your square or you sure you are not using the other cursor just above the "opacity" one in the layers window ?

it should be easier to select your first layer, and do as i said before with the select all then border etc.. then with the selection you create a new layer and u add your color or your texture or whatever else you want for doing your border on the second layer.. the center of the second layer will remain empty.. you will only have the border that you want to add to your square.. nothing more... so if your first layer is ok for transparency within SL then it will be still ok because on this part of your pic there wont be anything than your first layer.

Is there any way to keep the paths I draw? The square was just a test, my next step is to draw a bra, a sheer one with lacy hem (border) around it.

In any way, I dont understand why when adding a second layer in the file, the transparency is gone, but keeping it one layer only, the transparency remains!

Yes I need that, a solid frame with opacity in the color fill, not 100% transparent.

If I draw a shape WITH a border, then its border gets the transparency, so to avoid that, I have them seperated in 2 layers.

The bottom layer has the 50% opacity while the second layer of top has the solid frame.

The bottom layer alone gives in world the result I need.

The bottom layer along with the second one, makes the opacity disappears, solid color! In world of course. In photoshop looks exactly as I want it.

ok im back home now

To be sure to save your path you create , give them a name and just after that, create a new blank path...make sure to always have a blank path in the path window, for it doesnt paste the new you are creating on another one you already did

now i have to understand what exactly you want to do..

the square was a test , ok

so you want to do a bra... you want a border bec you want to make seams all around ? 

ah ok, i reread your post about the bra and i understand the lace border.. 

you really dont need to duplicate your first layer...

if you use a lace brush, select the one u want, and settle size, orientations etc in the brush menu, you have at the at the right of your screen, just before the layer window (normaly it should be minimized but the icon is a pot with brushes inside) then create a layer above the bra one and go in path window, select the path of your first layer (bra), , right click and do "stroke" it will add the brush all around your bra, 

What you can do also. is click on your bra layer and go in select menu and clik on 'all', then in modify and border... set the size of the border u want to do. you will be able to see the selection all around your bra, create a new layer and then you can draw in the selection or add color , texture etc..

you can also use others of the tools in the modify menu in selection, like contract or make larger etc.

i just had your PM, and i answered it... 

you should have said right away it was for Lola breast and not for a layer. you can set transparency with the texture settings tool in the edit window (althought that since im using Firestorm, i dont have the new texture window for now and i dont know how it works but i bet there is still a way to add transparency.) 

Now, i dont know at all lola breasts.. i cant tell you how to apply and if there is a trick for transparency there... 

but anyway, send me your texture, ill check it and tell you where is the problem in my opinion. Dont discourage yourself. 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

i just had your PM, and i answered it... 

you should have said right away it was for Lola breast and not for a layer. you can set transparency with the texture settings tool in the edit window (althought that since im using Firestorm, i dont have the new texture window for now and i dont know how it works but i bet there is still a way to add transparency.) 

Now, i dont know at all lola breasts.. i cant tell you how to apply and if there is a trick for transparency there... 

but anyway, send me your texture, ill check it and tell you where is the problem in my opinion. Dont discourage yourself. 

with lolas you'll want the transperancy to be part of the texture not set by the user with inworld tools as everytime someone applies said texture the tranperancy won't be there. As you can imagine that would get a little annoying.:/ especially since you'll have to edit linked and click through several layers to get at the layer that needs the transparency. I use the vstrings that take tangos and tehre's like close to 6 layers or something to click through and ther hard tog et at. There's no trick to transparency on appliers if it's transparent on the texture it'll be transparent when applied. They work exactly the same as any other texture in sl tbh.

T

XbabylonX wrote:

There are two ways to save a png file, as a 24 bits png (without transparency) or as a 32 bits png (with transparency).

Do not use the button 'save for web and devices', that gives you the 24 bits png. But use the 'save as' option in stead and those then pgn. This will give you the 32 bits png with transparency.

That is really the opposite of what works best. Photoshop's "Save for web" has a checkbox to choose whether or not PNG will have an alpha channel included. The "Save as" decides for you if you will get an alpha channel, and often adds one when it is not wanted. So, "Save as" should be avoided for this format.

well the OP sent me the psd file (only 2 layers one for the border, made with a path, and one for the middle with 40 % opacity, made with a mask.)

i could only check quickly and then uploaded the pic and applyed on a prim. At the first seconds, it was perfect and then suddendly it became all black.

i tried with the same file but with 20 % and then  30 % of opacity in the middle layer in phsop and it was too much transparent.

The OP said to me that without the border, it was looking perfect.

So it seems the problem is about the border layer, ill will check this better when i ll have more time next week. 

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

That is really the opposite of what works best. Photoshop's "Save for web" has a checkbox to choose whether or not PNG will have an alpha channel included. The "Save as" decides for you if you will get an alpha channel, and often adds one when it is not wanted. So, "Save as" should be avoided for this format.

Well in the OP's case, alpha channel is needed, so both ways to save are fine.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

i tried with the same file but with 20 % and then  30 % of opacity in the middle layer in phsop and it was too much transparent.

Too much transparent as in completely tranparent? If so, masking, blending..give it a go :) On the higher graphical settings SL likes to make a guess what it will do for default. With the new material system you can set it yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4014 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.