The view on viewer became darker since yesterday and also my friend list not updating

Natalia280

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello..

I have 2 questions , hopefully someone can help me.

The first one is about the display/view  on the viewer. I m using the viewer 3 from the second life site, the normal one, and yesterday there was an update before I entered to SL.. Since then the view on the viewer is changed for me. It's not major changes , but still very noticeable and i don't like it all . I see everything a bit darker.. Lets say where i live in my land and i put sunset as i always then I see the sunset and sun a bit different from before, and the the sky and sea is darker from before, it creates more darkness which i don't like or enjoy... Even the leafs of some plants I have on my land they changed.. They are now very dark green and before i had them on normal green. On other Sims I noticed it  changed as well....It really bothers me , since it changed all my view and how i see the things which i liked before but not anymore, especially because i have a land, and i liked how it looked once but not now. .I liked when it had some light as before...does more people experiencing this since yesterday ? And there is something i can to fix it ? If someone knows, please tell me...

The second question is about the friend list...this problem started already since a month ago and it's not fixed yet , even until now. My friend list on the viewer is fine and i can see all my friends there, and also on the dashboard on the main page of second life, i see them all...but when i go to "my secondlife" section through the site here..i see that it's not updating there anymore. lets say if i m friending or unfriending someone, it's not updating on "my second life" section anymore...people i unfriended, i still see them there as friends and new people i added, they not showing up there at all...it was fine a month ago..but it became this way later and not fixed until now....also when i m inworld, in the viewer itself , SL viewer, then even tho i see a new friend i added on the list..So when i open his profile , instead of he will be showing up as friend, there is a button to add him as friend , just like we not even friends.. so in the inworld when i open profiles , it's the same problem as well....i tried to add the friends through my second life section on the site too, and even tho they accept , it's not helping and it's still like that....Is it just for me ? Or everyone experiencing this problem the last month ? Is there something i can do to fix that ?

Any answer will be helpful., since I really need to know and not managing to solve these issues.... Thanks :)

Viewer 3.6 adds gamma correction, it's definitely expected that some colors will look a little different. This will become the normal way things look as the rest of the viewers catch up with materials.

[ Adding, totally forgot to say what you can do about it! ] There is a debug setting, RenderGamma, that you can use to control the overall brightness. 1.0 will be the defalt. (It ships with 0.0 as the default, disregard that if you want a custom value.) Lower numbers will make the display look lighter, higher will make it look darker.

The trouble you see on my.secondlife.com is plain old breakage. Bug fixes on it seem to be a low priority, feeds and friends have been corrupted for months.

If I might give a brief and slightly approximate summary: gamma is the relationship between input and output, and need not be a straight-line graph. Input might be the numeric brightness value foir a pixel in a graphics file, ourput might be the brightness of the screen pixel.

It is worth trying to get your monitor as well set-up as possible. One set of test images, with instructions, can be found here: LCD Test Images. The setting will depend on your local lighting.

You may also have adjustments in your graphics driver software. Get these as good as you can before you start fidding with individual programs.

Very little of a good image should be either completely black or pure white. The extremes don't render well.

In the days of film photography, good film, correctly exposed, could record 7-bit data, but the print you made from that image might only be able to show a 6-bit brightness range. You adjusted printing exposure and chose the paper contrast grade (effectively the gamma) to get the result you wanted.

Adjusting the gamma in the viewer doesn't fix everything.

I've had problems with the new Materials enabled Viewer. It is slow with and has problems with inventory.

The color change... the answers here are good. There is also the possiblity that the viewer has changed how it looks at your graphics card. In which case it may have turned on or off Advanced Lighting Model. (Preferecnes->Grpahics)

oh ok,, big thanks for everyone's help...i guess i will have to try these, but i m not really expert about it.   is it any way to control gamma on the viewer itself ?

also i noticed another thing which happened. i have a potted plant in my land. it didnt change color like the others...it's  not the kind with alpha texture, seems to me like more sculpted one.....now it is messed up since the update.all the leafs has other shape , not as smooth edges as before , it's like he got deformed on the sculpted leafs.......what can i do now to fix items that changed this way? and looked nice before but far from it now ? i paid money for these and now don't like them:( ...

Natalia280 wrote:

oh ok,, big thanks for everyone's help...i guess i will have to try these, but i m not really expert about it.   is it any way to control gamma on the viewer itself ?

also i noticed another thing which happened. i have a potted plant in my land. it didnt change color like the others...it's  not the kind with alpha texture, seems to me like more sculpted one.....now it is messed up since the update.all the leafs has other shape , not as smooth edges as before , it's like he got deformed on the sculpted leafs.......what can i do now to fix items that changed this way? and looked nice before but far from it now ? i paid money for these and now don't like them:( ...

The plant problem sounds like a scuplt that never loaded properly. Clearing your cache will fix that. As far as the colors, if you don't normally use shadows turning "Advanced Lighting Model" off in "Preferences-Graphics" will probably make things look closer to your old colors.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.