Video Card Question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

...EVGA nVidia GTX 660, 2GB, Superclocked by manufacturer

Tigerdirect had a special until June 30 that took an immediate $30.00 off the regular price and offers a $10.00 rebate.  After conferring with my mother, she said go for it.

Thank you all again so very much for your input, suggestions, etc.  I pulled ideas/suggestions from where to purchase to PC component specifics from this thread and the other two I began.

Let the party begin!!!

Welcome to SL Heaven!

*Grabs Maddy away from Snugs and pulls her in for a group hug along with Trinity, Malanya, Perrie, and everyone who has been so helpful!*

Group Hug Smiley.gif

@Malanya - I love those umbrella drinks - putting in my order for a frozen Pina Colada. :matte-motes-big-grin:

@Perrie - It will be WONDERFUL to get out of PC purgatory.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

*Grabs Maddy away from Snugs and pulls her in for a group hug along with Trinity, Malanya, Perrie, and everyone who has been so helpful!*

Group Hug Smiley.gif

Maddy !!! see ! all these new pockets to put your hands inside hehhehehehheh.... 

Pockets?  Is there something I need to know? o.O

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Group Hug Smiley.gif

Maddy !!! see ! all these new pockets to put your hands inside hehhehehehheh.... 

Pockets?  Is there something I need to know?
o.O

Well yes, Czari... Maddy use to put her hands in everyone's pockets at Hippie's breakfast...:smileysurprised: This is why i usually never wear smth with pockets when i go there :smileyvery-happy:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Group Hug Smiley.gif

o.O

Well yes, Czari... Maddy use to put her hands in everyone's pockets at Hippie's breakfast...:smileysurprised: This is why i usually never wear smth with pockets when i go there :smileyvery-happy:

There's nothing interesting in my own pockets, where do you expect me to put my hands?

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Group Hug Smiley.gif

o.O

There's nothing interesting in my own pockets, where do you expect me to put my hands?

*Note to self: When visiting Maddy, don't wear clothing with pockets.*

Amazing the great advice one gets on these forums. ;)

• 4 months later...

I recall seeing somewhere to beware of GPU benchmarks based on other games, something to do with DirectX. I guess my question really is, nonetheless are they a good guide as the RELATIVE power, for SL, of different GPU?

Also, are the Intel Iris GPUS in Mac notebooks as bad as other chips? I'm toying with the idea of going Mac for other reasons, but am nervous about using a MacBook (other than a fully loaded Pro which I likely can't afford ).

JoyofRLC Acker wrote:

I recall seeing somewhere to beware of GPU benchmarks based on other games, something to do with DirectX. I guess my question really is, nonetheless are they a good guide as the RELATIVE power, for SL, of different GPU?

Also, are the Intel Iris GPUS in Mac notebooks as bad as other chips? I'm toying with the idea of going Mac for other reasons, but am nervous about using a MacBook (other than a fully loaded Pro which I likely can't afford ).

The only comprehensive GPU benchmark listings use the PassMark test, which is based on DirectX and runs on Windows. The PassMark tests for Android and iOS use OpenGL.

SecondLife runs on OpenGL, regardless of underlying OS. So, we are forced to use benchmarks that are not representative of our needs. The benchmarks are potentially doubly indirect for Mac users, as differences in OpenGL implementations on Win/Mac OS would not be revealed in DirectX/Win benchmarks.

But you must make the best of what you have, and that's the benchmark tables here...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.