Dramatically increased sim crash rate?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have been noticing, lately, sims crashing around me at an alarming rate. At first, thought it was merely me, but since the sims (both production and LeTigre) end up with stuff rolled back to a prior state, have come to realise, it's the sims themselves. ANyone else experiencing this, or am I just incredibly unlucky? I have a crash log for one sim thats as frequent as 15 times in a single day

[RESOLVED] Rolling Restarts Main Channel

Posted by Status Desk on May 29th, 2013 at 09:17 am PDT

[RESOLVED 9:17am PDT, 29 May 2013] Today’s rolling restarts have been completed.

[uPDATED 6:41am PDT, 29 May 2013] We are currently undergoing the rolling restarts for the main Second Life server channel.

[Posted 07:29 pm PDT, 28 May 2013] We will be performing rolling restarts for regions on the main Second Life server channel on Wednesday, May 29, beginning at approximately 5:00AM PDT. Please refrain from rezzing no copy objects, making inworld L$ transactions and remember to save all builds.

I've noticed a definite increase. Where sims I regularly monitor crash unexpectedly every 2 - 3 days, they're now doing it multiple times a day. This has been going on since last week and on all channels. I've let support know about the times and regions its occurred and asked them to pass on the information to the engineers. Its a roll of the dice if thats ever done though as most times support will try to decipher what caused the crash in the first place and usually won't bother sending information if they've made up their mind what happened. I've on many occasions notified support of down regions with full knowledge why they went down only to be told a reason entirely unrelated to how or why it happened. Sadly, I can only take their word that the proper information is passed on to the proper people. Lets hope that is the case with these recent crashes.

One of the nice things that putting out a sim monitor can do is actually provide some hard and fast facts on reboots/crashes rather than just gut feelings. With some hard and fast numbers it's far easier to get help.

I normally just rez the simple 1 prim monitor inside the emDash. It's proved very handy on many occasions.

But generally, the facts i see show my regions are running exactly as expected, the email from last night on one of them telling me:

Received: from sim257x.agni.lindenlab.com (sim257x.agni.lindenlab.com. [216.82.1.2xx])        by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id r7si22240813oej.34.2013.05.29.06.35.11        (version=TLSv1 cipher=RC4-SHA bits=128/128);        Wed, 29 May 2013 06:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

Aha! Inara's blog has an item ("Apparent Region Crashes" near the end) about a recent problem that appears to be a sim crash--everybody gets disconnected--but isn't really a crash. The symptoms were posted to this forum, too.

This may also account for an unusual number of problems I've been having in the past couple of weeks with http-in script communications getting disrupted for no known reason.

Fortunately a fix is already being tested.

Wow, glad I found this post! Goldbach (on the BlueSteel channel) has been restarting 2-3 times a day every few days for the last couple months now. We've also had a few instances of folks suddenly getting logged off all at once.  My landlord has been contacting concierge support with no results so far. This sounds very similar to what we've been experiencing.

I've been using this Sim Restart Notifier script to monitor the region. It's great in that it emails you directly when the sim restarts, and it provides the Channel, Version and Host information. I've been passing this info to our landlord, hoping it would help LL with investigation.

One thing I observed from the notifier, Goldbach is being moved to a different host each time it restarts. An example of the multiple restarts from Thursday 5/30, before the latest update below. I had thought maybe the region resources were becoming overloaded and the servers were trying to do load balancing to compensate.

5:15 AM  sim10220.agni.lindenlab.com (Changed. Was sim10037.agni.lindenlab.com)
5:25 AM  sim10362.agni.lindenlab.com (Changed. Was sim10037.agni.lindenlab.com)
6:45 AM  sim10037.agni.lindenlab.com (Changed. Was sim10362.agni.lindenlab.com)

Fingers and toes crossed the upcoming fix resolves this soon. It's creating havoc of the not so fun kind with our place! :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.