Why don't you have a program that is compatible with older computers, or graphics

Manfred Effingham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why don't you have a program that is compatible with older computers, or graphics not presently in your requirements list? I am not as finantially rich as you, and can't readily afford to make needed upgrades to fit your present system requirements. I have listed my Graphics Adaptor:  COMPAQ P900 monitor on NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE integrated graphics adaptor, and your present requirements refer to a minimum GeForce of 6600, or better. You need to make an adaptable viewer program that is able to adapt to other computer graphics setups that are reasonably older than your requirements. This might result in slower graphics for some, but it would allow us non-millionairs to participate in Second Life. I recently purchased my computer as a used machine. I couldn't afford to purchase new machine presently due to a limited fixed income. Do you want to make it so those of us who can't go out on a whim to purchase new equipment have no access to Second Life? I was lucky to be able to get this machine as fast as I did. My previous compuer failed, and needed to be replaced and with my then and still limited funds purchased this machine. Thanks in Adance For Doing Whatever is Needed to Make your Program More Backward Accessible 

5 answers to this question

"WE" do not make any program: this is a resident to resident forum and no Linden staff read here. What you can do is have a look at third party viewers and see if any of them runs on your machine. (You may check especially Imprudence and Rainbow or CoolViewer). 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

http://my.opera.com/boylane/blog/rainbow-viewer

http://sldev.free.fr/

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Manfred

Unfortunately, we are just residents, like yourself.  You can get advice here how to upgrade and tweak your computer to make it more compatible with Second Life, but to contact the Linden people themselves, you need to either submit a support ticket via the "Help" option at the top of this screen and select "Submit Ticket" from right hand side menu.

Or you can send a snail mail to them:

Linden Lab Headquarters                  

945 Battery Street San Francisco, CA 94111                                      

You don't have to be a millionaire to run SL, but you can't expect entry level hardware from 8 years ago to run a program like SL. If there's room for a dedicated graphics card on your motherboard, you should be able to run SL just fine on medium settings. Look on ebay or a similair site for a used GeForce 9600GT or 9800GT. They shouldn't cost more than 25-30 bucks.

btw, in your other question you say you have DDR2 memory running at 400 MHz and that it will change to 800 MHz when you update your OS. Your memory is already running at 800 MHZ, since it's dual channel (2x400). Changing to Win 7 64 bit will allow you to use your 4th GB of RAM, 32 bit OS's will only see around 3GB. It won't increase the speed of your memory, that's determined by your hardware and your BIOS settings.

I have been retired myself for many years and have been in SL for a little over six years.  I'm certainly not a millionaire, but there's no way I would try to run SL on a machine that was too old and underpowered to handle it.  Doing that would guarantee low quality performance and might cause my machine to overheat and damage itself.  If I couldn't afford to replace my computer, I'd simply choose not to run SL, as I choose to do with other things in life that I cannot afford.  We make choices and set priorities in life.  It's not Linden Lab's job to adjust their priorities to meet our budgets, especially when they have plenty of customers who want and can afford the proper hardware.

Follow on to post

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/How-do-We-fix-a-problem-with-accessing-your-site-My-Graphics-are/qaq-p/2010947/comment-id/32360

Manfred,

I won;t sugar coat this for you. Your [6 or 7 year old] PC is inadequate for SL. Period.

It's claim to fame in it's day was an AMD dual-core processor. Changing the OS will not increase the memory speed on that PC. Graphics processor power is what SL is all about these days.

It's time to get a new PC.

There are some Graphics card upgrades that will fit in this model but none of them will be blazing fast nor offer the visual quality you would be looking for. I know, I retired my Dell C-251 dell 3 years ago.

In regards to your defiant attitude about not upgrading your Mozilla Firefox internet browser to the current version 20, we call  people with this attitude "infected" - That's because your PC is probably being attached and infected with Trojan Horses & browse-by hijacking daemons. There are secure & safe add-ons for EVERY need available for version 20 of Firefox.

You can use one of the text only clients if you wish to access SecondLife as is. They can be found here: Third Party Viewer Directory

In regards to your plea in your other post that Linden Research should and I quote "Why don't you have a program that is compatible with older computers, or graphics not presently in your requirements list?" ...

Linden Research is making visually immersive and encompassing software to make social interaction more compelling. That requires investment in your PC to achieve.  If you only want to chat, head over to FaceBook or some other chat room offering.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.