Is this a good desktop PC to get for good quality photos in SL? - Pls help :)

Paetina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I was looking to get a new PC cos my old computer is on the verge of dying now. I was looking to get this model cos I heard some good reviews about it and I'm hoping it'd last me a while. What do you all think?

Any advice or suggestions is welcomed and would be appreciated. I dont wanna fork out and be left disappointed. 

Also, what could be improved.. its got a 2 year warranty period, so after that i may end up upgrading (if i need it). 

Thanks heaps for the help!

Brand

HP

Model

ENVY Phoenix H9-1380D

Product Type

Desktop PCs

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor 3.40GHz

Operating System

Windows 8

Installed RAM

12 GB

Hard Drive

2TB HDD

Screen Size

23.0'' Full HD

Optical Drive

DVD Burner

Graphics Performance

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX660 1.5GB DDR5

It's a good system and should run SL at high settings constantly and ultra for picture taking (there will be some lag at ultra but not so much that it would hinder any picture taking).  The only potential problem I see is Windows 8.  Sadly, Windows 8 appears to be another Vista (or even ME..........but maybe not that bad).  I would ask the retailer or HP to replace the Windows 8 with Windows 7 x64 and wait for a while before jumping over to Windows 8 (at least until a service pack is released).  Microsoft did their normal stuff with Win 8 and tried to make an "all in one" operating system so they could break into the smart phone/tablet market......it appears it's a flop (at least for now).  Windows 7 is a solid and stable operating system (much like XP was in it's day).

Thanks Peggy - i did ask for windows 7 but they said they don't do that anymore because everyone is switching to windows 8 OS. For some strange reason, even the HP store said the same thing. Plus apparently with this particular deal, if they change it to windows 7, they said the warranty would be void as it would not be the original system. 

I wanted to call BS but apparently that is their policy and a few other stores said the same thing.  Do you think windows 8 is really very bad? would it be really terrible for me to purchase it with that? I heard the only annoying thing about it is the strange interface that takes getting used to.  

Is this graphics card a good one or should i upgrade..in the event that I would like to create machinima or something in future? thank you :)

The graphics card is a very good one.  There are better on the market but they can be very expensive and the return on that investment would be minimal (if any return at all........there is only so much any card can do with SL and it's user created content displayed in real time 3D).  I think the retailer is giving you a line of BS about Windows 8........but they also could be appeasing Microsoft in order to get a good deal on the OEM Windows 8 that they put on the computers.  Voiding a warranty?  That is BS too and they are parsing words about "original system"  What happens to the warranty if you put Linux on it?  Will HP void the warranty too?  It sounds to me that you are dealing with Best Buy or something.  But I'm not going to argue.......it's up to you.

And I cannot say Windows 8 is "really bad".  I don't have it so I have no first hand knowledge.  I do read reviews though and Windows 8 does not get many good reviews.  I understand that any new OS has it's problems when first released (XP had many such issues that continued until SP 1 was released........and, to a lessor degree, so did Vista) but it's more than issues or the interface.....it's mobile app design more suited for smart phones and tablets.  A computer is a different animal and it appears Windows 8 does not address that.  The best thing about Windows 8 is it's security features......but the hackers will catch up in time (they always do).  Windows 8 does work with SL but there are driver issues that can be tricky. 

I, personally, would not opt for Win 8 right now.  I'll keep my Windows 7 for a bit longer.  :)

"In the event that they refuse to change to windows 7 for me, what can i do? 

I'm kinda technologically challenged. haha"

------------------------------------------------

There are several things you can do.  Purchase a Windows 7 x64 license and install it yourself on the computer.....but, if you've never done that then it might be scary (though it's not really difficult).  Or take to a reputable computer shop and have them do it for you (it will cost you a fee but shouldn't be that much).  And finally, you can go online and find a comparable custom computer with exactly what you want.......and probably a few 100 dollars cheaper. 

HP is a big name.........but that does not make them the best.

I had a similar scenario.. I purchased a much lesser computer, a quad core AMD chipped HP Pavillion with 6 GB of memory, a 1 TB HDD, and Windows 8 OS. As far as monitors, I went to Walmart and bought a 26" Visio TV and used that. The upgrades I made was changing the power supply, got rid of the standard 300 wt HP one and added a 500 wt one for $40. I down graded to Windows 7--a computer guy did it for me (I could have myself, but he did it for $70, which is what Im sure i'd of spend for the OS anyway so it was an easy option. I added a Nvidea GTX 650  card with 2 GB buffer. I play SL on high settings normally with a really good frame rate. I've used ultra on smoe occassions, more lag but still really good.

The thing is my entire computer system, counting new power supply, monitor, video card and the windows 7 OS only cost about $850-900. The system your describing sounds like a beast btw. As far as HDD and monitor size it wont matter. The buffer on the card might, 2 GB is nicer than 1) and the memory speed (DDR5 is newer and faster) but it still should be really good. If the videocard actually comes with the computer than you probably wont have to worry about windows 8. My big issue was incompatibility and driver issues (No more BIOS in 8) but if its there and working than those issues are likely resolved. Windows 8 isnt a terrible OS, once you get familiar with it there are some positives, just theres a learning curb.

If the version of Windows 8 you have is the pro version, I've heard that Microsoft is giving a free downgrade to windows 7 to people. Again, it needs to be Windows 8 pro--which sounds likely on this machine. Again, if the card is already installed and working it probably doesnt make sense to go back to windows 7.

Personally I prefer Windows 7 to Windows 8, but wouldnt downgrade unless I had to. I also think HP makes a very good computer, one of the best IMO.

I'll second what Paperdoll says.

I have Core2 Quad and a GTX560. I run with custom settings that puts me between Ultra and the first notch down. I get from 25 to 65 FPS. I have AnitAliasing and other lag producing features on. That includes Shadows Sun/Moon + Projectors.

The 660 should be good for some time.

64 bit OS is important. The Lab does not make a 64 bit viewer. But, there are a number of Large Address Aware (LAA) viewers out there that can take advantage of LAA. 

I am seeing some beta testing stuff for an update of Win 8 floating around the Internet. So, at this point you won't be far from a fix for problems that Win 8 may present you, if any. There are people running Win 8 with SL. You can search the forum for Win and f ind some of the posts. Also search and ask on SLUniverse.

To add to what friscolives says...

Memory speed is a big factor in SL performance. The faster the system ram, the better your frame rates will be. Unless you are talking to a total geek, they probably won't know what memory speeds are installed in the unit. Nor will they know what is available.

You can get specific information on a site like Tom's Hardware. Also online memory chip sales people can give you good information on chips. Kingston and Crucial are good brands. Chips too fast for your computer are a waste of money but won't hurt it. Slower chips won't hurt the computer but they will slow it down.

You may also want to get what ever memory chips comes with it and update at a later time.

Typing from phone so bare with me. I use windows 8 day in and day out. Most people's problems are the start menu. I have gotten use to it but for those who can't there is always classic shell. Classic she'll adds that start button back to the lower lef. II've considered it but I feel it's a slower process to access my applications. The other side is that it is a pain in the butt to install 7 on an 8 based machine. Most companies I have seen don't produce drivers for 7 when the machine comes with 8. This is mostly true with hp devices. Most of the time I have to scour the net using the devices hhardware I'd to fine the driver. These may not be optimized for 7. Just keep these things in mind.. And win 8 shouldn't be compared to vista... Vista was slow, while 8 is some what confusing to people

"...And win 8 shouldn't be compared to vista..."

------------------------------------------------------------------

The only reason I mentioned Windows 8 and Vista in the same sentence (or paragraph) was that Windows 8, like Vista, is getting rather slow acceptance by the users of Windows machines.  Vista actually fixed most (probably all, in fact) of the issues that caused users concerns........but the damage was done and it wound up being quite unpopular.  Fair or not, that's what happened.  And, so far, Windows 8 is pretty much on the same track.........and if may not be warranted but that does not matter if users shun the OS.

But If they aren't being given good info what good is it? Example. The only method the press gives people is to close the application by dragging it out and down. That's a huge pain .. When you can eexpose the side panel right click and select close. Also classic shell solves all these concerns. Performance wise 8 isn't any slower than 7 and classic desktop functions and looks like 7.

Actually if your buying a new machine the os comes with it whatever price you pay for the machine is on you. Secondly classic shell is a free application and in my honest opinion much better than start 8. So what I recommend is If the machine comes with 8, don't go through all the trouble of fighting with installing 7 when you can install classic shell. I have had 3 customers ask me to install 7 it isn't a fun process. Glad they are paying me to do it but I wanna bash my head in every time I also did some checking via new egg. They show 7 and 8 for roughly about the same cost. If people don't like 8 it's fine they just need to understand what their options are. Personally I feel a bit more annoyed using any classic start menu.

I never said Windows 8 was slower (or faster) than Windows 7.  I actually gave Windows 8 a pretty big compliment in my mention of the much better OS security.  What I said (and am still saying) is that Windows 8 is not getting the traction (acceptance) that Microsoft had hoped for........that's an undeniable fact.  Is that lack of acceptance deserved?  I have no idea.......as I said I don't have Windows 8 and I have no experience with Windows 8.  It's slow getting out of the gate due to the users resisting it.........it might well be the UI that is causing that resistance but, overall, it matters not one iota if the users are not flocking to the new OS.  XP had the same problem with the 98 and 98 SE users but Microsoft did some PR and put out SP1 to fix the issues.......XP wound up being, arguably, one of the best OS's MS put out (maybe the best).  Vista did not have such success.........again, rightly or wrongly (I had Vista and after MS gave us the tools to customize the OS for performance, it was actually a very fast OS with almost no problems........that was not the case when I first installed it on my computer).

It appears Windows 8 in following Vista's path to acceptance or non-acceptance.  Time will tell which way Windows 8 will be viewed in the future.  Another XP or another Vista.  I'm not rooting either way.........just trying to tell the OP what I know about the new Microsoft OS.  I suggest using caution until something is decided one way or the other.  I'm pretty sure all decided by the users in another year.  Until then, I'm not going to jump to Win 8 but keep my Win 7 for a bit longer.

My Windows 8 laptop runs Second Life almost as well as my Windows Vista desktop, although when I was chosing the laptop, it was only as a back-up to the desktop, and not specifically for running Second Life on, so the fact it runs it at all is a real bonus to me. Only cost £379, and spec is generally a lot better than the desktop (graphics card not fantastic, so I won't push my luck by using it much for Second Life, especially as I've had some kind of break down in communicaions with the company that sold it to me and it does not seem to currently be insured for breakdowns).

Here in the UK they seem to be kind of forcing Windows 8 on new purchasers. I use it pretty much in the same way as Windows Vista, but haven't used Windows 7, so can't compare it to that. I'd keep Windows 7 if I were you though. Windows 8 is more geared up for money making "apps" - once you get around that and get it running like the desktop, things seem to run pretty much the same as Vista. In some ways its easier to use, and has been less problematic so far. And - glorious for me - 8Gb memory as oppose to just 1Gb on the desktop (now converted to 3Gb).

Waffling, Peggy. Forgive me. Just wanted to give you my little bit of input on Windows 8, as you're always the one I come to for practical advice on system specs/more technical stuff.

I won't argue that people don't accept it.. Most don't even get a chance to learn it. I sell computers and most here from their friends with no full explanation. I show my customers what it means before I tell them it isn't a good idea. Just tonight and elderly lady asked me I'd she should upgrade. She expressed that she didn't want to learn anything new. I told her that while it would be a speed increase she would have to upgrade her office.. Not a real valid reason to upgrade for the cost. But at least she knows the cost and risk. Typing from a phone sucks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.