My simple story

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

The Puppetmaster sent you a test.  And you're damned if you care and damned if you don't, which reminds me of a situation that is closer to home currently.

And so, because you are damned anyway, you should just keep the money. But when you go and pick up your winnings and find the silly cursed cursing woman was so preoccupied with all the hate and venom she constantly has inside herself, she didn't realise she had actually slipped the cashier duplicated forms for her Lottery that week, and she also still had a winning ticket for $1,287,000.00, how are you going to feel coming face to face with her? 

Maybe what is at face value isn't all that there is. She's there, picking up her winnings, you're there, picking up your winnings too, and she's nicer and sweeter than apple pie,
because she's been able to afford the meds that keep her physical and mental pains at bay, and no longer feels every second in a queue dragging like four minutes at a Photo-Me booth.

Karma, The Puppetmaster, (God?), Fate, your heart, your conscience, who is really in charge? Now that's the $1,287,000 dollar question.

That line is supposed to make me go 'awwwwe' and 'tsk' at Storm for keeping her dropped tickets.  However, I would ask why is she spending money purchasing tickets, the vast majority of which will yield nothing, when she needs those funds for meds to improve her quality of life?  Another dilemma? 

This is the bane of lottery systems.  People who have few funds squander them on tickets hoping to roll the big one and the big one never comes.  Of course, people who can afford five homes also play the lottery and they lose, too.

Yep. And the only people who enter and leave the gambling arcades to drive Jaguar cars are the owners themselves. They don't seem to get struck by lightning.

Maybe the trick is not to have a conscience, but for Storm I fear it is too late. He knew what the right thing to do was, and didn't do it. Now he's stuck smoking fat cigars on a tropical island being served ice cold cocktails by nubile young women for the rest of his life.

Its a hard hard life.

Edited to add:

You don't know how hard I fought the urge to get on my soap box about how the people who are mostly seen using the food banks that are springing up throughout the UK are often arriving in rather nice cars, have got perfectly manicured nails, and/or smoke. "Its for the kids" they say, "can't have the kids going hungry". Grrhh!

Marigold Devin wrote:

Maybe the trick is not to have a conscience, but for Storm I fear it is too late.
He knew what the right thing to do was, and didn't do it
. Now he's stuck smoking fat cigars on a tropical island being served ice cold cocktails by nubile young women for the rest of his life.

Its a hard hard life.

Mari, I tried very hard to track down this woman.   I wanted, at least, to give back the $2 she spent on the tickets.  The next day I waited outside the market for almost 20 minutes in hope she would return to purchase some juice or milk, alas, she did not.  

i dare anyone to get face to face and loud with the clerk where lotto tickets are sold here..

she won't take it..she won't have it in her store her lines or at her..

she'll just hand them their card back and tell them to head to the next town and never come back for gas or tickets or anything ever again..

i've seen her kick a few people out for being rude..

she is as nice as it gets..but she told me ..someone being a B!tch to her or her customers is something she won't tolerate in her place..

as far as if for some miracle that lady did get tickets to drop?

heck i'd go back and split the winnings with the clerk..

just for having to deal with that B!tch..

if someone is a B!tch to me in line like that..i refuse to take it one bit from them or anyone..if they want to get loud with me..they better be ready to back up that mouth..

there is a time to take it..and then there is a time to give it right back..

people are in too much of a damn hurry..

<threadjack>

Phil Deakins wrote:

I remember it being attributed to Winston Churchill and I also remember learning that that was wrong when I learned that it was someone else who said it, but it wasn't Beaverbrook. I think it was Noel Coward but I'm not certain. Whoever said it, it's brilliant
:)

The first known reference to the quote attributes it to Beaverbrook.

</threadjack>

Venus Petrov wrote:

Of course, people who can afford five homes also play the lottery and they lose, too.

Lots of moral dilemmas in this thread.

I was raised being taught that gambling was wrong.  So I was shocked when I learned my Mother who was not 'poor' had been buying a ticket once a week.  Apparently there was one exception to the rule, "gambling for charity."  She said to me that the proceeds were going to a good cause (education).

Over the course of five years my Mother won $5,000 on three separate occasions.  This really did happen.  Each time she won she used the proceeds to take an overseas vacation. 

It was after the third trip that my Mother told me that she had been buying the tickets, I did not know before then,  and my thought at the time was, "Mom, if you are so concerned for the Charity, why didn't you donate the money back to them." 

It depends on what state you are in, and what state you are in. :D

No really, in NY lottery tickets are a bearer instrument, like money.  However, in other states, laws are different.  If you really want to find the woman, you will only be able to if she is either: a regular customer, or if she used a debit card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.