Do the TOS of the creator disable LindenLabs TOS if i buy a fullperm mesh builders kit?

Finna Ferina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone :)

Sorry if my question was confusing, but i bought a full perm Mesh building kit from Marketplace. And it was listed as full perm, it had UV Map textures and it also had full perm Textures included to use on the Mesh objects. Now the TOS of the creator lists that i have to make my own textures and that i am not allowed to use the provided textures.

I thought that whenever i buy something full perm that i can do whatever i want. And in that case that i can use the textures as well, because i saw other people that bought her builders kit as well, and they just modified the textures. 

Help, please?

i don't want to get into trouble :)

Many full perm kits come with additonal restrictions.  And I am pretty sure that this is spelled out as an allowed practice in the LL TOS.  The most common restriction I've run into is for something like textures:  They are full perm, but the copyright owner specifies that you can only resell them applied to your own creations, you cannot just turn around and resell them.  Sounds like your mesh kit has similar, perfectly legitimate restrictions.

Here is thread where the subject gets discussed at length:  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Unfortunate-Tutorial-Item/td-p/993895

The item's Terms of Service (End User Liscense) is in addition to any Linden Labs terms of service. Each EUL is different, depending on the person selling you the full perm items. Typically they do not let you resell the items in full perm mode, often the items you purchase need to be INCLUDED in a build, meaning you have to have other items in your product, not just their full perm item. You cannot port to other grids etc.

Including full perm textures that you are not able to use is odd, I agree, but the idea that you can do anything you want with the item is VERY wrong. You need to read the liscence agreement before you purchase anything. Most often this is posted in the store and given as a notecard or added to the product info at the end of the item description. If there IS a "user agreement" as the Marketplace calls it and it is not spelled out, then you need to contact the seller -- or simply not buy :D.

Just because you see others doing something, doesn't make it right -- or legal. Good that you asked.

My issues is that i saw an pair of boots made by a mesh boot building kit, and even though the creator of the kit states in their own TOS that it's not allowed to use the textures, they aren't really different from the each other meaning: The sole has been changed to a different color, and the main texture is a little bit lighter, this is why i am so confused on what i am allowed to do and what not.

All full perm means is that you can modify, copy and transfer the object.

Anything outside of that must either be stated in the Author's TOS or you must ask the right's owner for permission to use their product in an ambiguous way. I'm sure they won't bite if you ask for clarification

This isn't really a question that can be answered by anyone here; Realize that the TOS can be anything the author wants, including but not limited to standing on your head while eating a bowl of frozen yogurt before you are allowed to touch their textures in any way. They can also require that you include somewhere in your modification of their texture a purple smiley face with yellow horns -- You get the idea. :)

Why don't you IM the creator for clarification?  You just have to be able to use the UV map, which is a texture in my usage of the word.  Surely the creator didn't intend to prohibit you from using the UV texture.  With a UV map, you just:

Step 1. load the UV map as a layer in photoshop.

Step 2. load your texture-of-choice on another layer in photoshop, and

Step 3. merge the two with a "multiply" function

Step 4. Save as PNG, and finally

Step 5. Upload to SL.

Then, you will have your own texture for the object.  Also, I know you can do this in GIMP also, but I don't use GIMP much and so can't help much with GIMP. 

• Like 1

My issues is that I saw an pair of boots made by a mesh boot building kit, and even though the creator of the kit states in their own TOS that it's not allowed to use the textures, they aren't really different from the each other meaning: The sole has been changed to a different color, and the main texture is a little bit lighter, this is why I am so confused on what I am allowed to do and what not.

This means at least one thing, that the other creator or I'd rather say 'seller' of these boots, was 'not respecting' the TOS the original mesh kit creator has set down for usage of his/her products.

If all he/she did was brightening the textures a little, I would clearly say this does not fulfill the request of using 'own' textures. Possibly the mesh kit creator gets notice of this and might request him/her to take these off the market. But that's written on another page of the book , metaphorically spoken ; )

In general if he says : only 'own' textures, this would definitely mean you have to create your own textures, and 'not' include his in any form. Most likely also not as overlay used in your textures. (I would rather suggest to just use them in order to know which part needs to be where on the texture)

I also actually 'can' understand why so many creators require not to include their textures. As they make a big part of the final product's quality. (hence having a meshboot and just pulling any pattern texture on it, compared to a fully baked or drawn texture) and if they just want to sell their own 'full' product, they wouldn't need to make creators kits for others, if these wouldn't have to change anything. In that case they could just find resellers who sell the whole product as-is. Would kind of defeat the whole purpose ; )

But yeah, if you still feel insecure. Just do as the others suggested already and contact the meshkit creator and ask again =)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.