Getting stuck in SL

harliew

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Sim crossings are stressful, because you are moving from one server to another.  All of your avatar data has to be transferred, and your viewer has to download a new set of textures and position /velocity data.  The servers alway hiccup a bit when anyone comes or goes, and your own viewer may rubber band or stall.  It's likely to be worst if you are on wireless, and if you have a lot of baggage to carry. Wearing alot of attachments, espcially scripted attachments, gives the servers more work to do.  Also, if you are crossing in a vehicle, the servers have a hard time handing off the physics at the boundary.  All of those bad effects used to be lots worse.  Today is like a dream.  If you're on an old or underpowered machine, or have any of the negatives I just mentioned, though, it can be pretty bad.  If you truly get stuck, logging off is sometimes the best choice.  It's better to avoid getting stuck in the first place, though.

• Like 1

You could get a different answer for this enquiry every week really.  Almost every Tuesday, new code is introduced and rolled out to the whole grid.  As a result, some weeks sim crossings can seem a bit better than during other weeks.  Relogging is often the easiest and best option if you do get stuck.

Personally, I always try to teleport my way out of being stuck by opening up the world map and attempting to teleport. Sometimes, just clicking on the world map where my avatar is has unstuck me. Trial and error, but if in doubt, relog.

I've not suffered rubber-banding in ages - wasn't that just an awful sensation? Used to make me feel motion sick when it happened. Yesterday was pretty ropey though. I was having a jog around the mainland roads, and got stuck a couple of times, once in one of the new lovely hedges that Earthy Mole has been prettying up everywhere with.

I love the quirkiness of SL. :)

My favorite stuck moments are when I end up in the "Blue Voodoo Zone.

I can be up in the sky, fully movable and totally unable to escape of even look at my inventory. At special moments like this I relog and "Poof" I'm all better.

Those moments are always caused when I try to transition from one region tot he next.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.