Beginner in need of some advice.

Oni Alter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sure there are some threads like this, but here goes.

I'm looking to learn how to make mesh objects and rig them for avatars. I currently have Maya, 3DS Max, ZBrush, and Mudbox. I know absolutely NOTHING about any of these programs. What I wish to create isn't very complex, but WILL require rigging.

My question is this:  Which is the most user-friendly for somebody as inexperienced as myself?

Why do you have such expensive programs if you've never even touched 3-d? Not accusing you, but I would advise you grab legal programs if these aren't (sorry Im weird on believing you bought all these wth no prior experience?) you can lose all your work INSTANTLY if you are found using an illegal version.

Anyhow

There are a plethra of tutorials, just simply search them up on google. I really appreciate http://cgcookie.com/ that can help you with concept art, 3ds max, and some other fancy things. Though google and just chatting with mesh artist will help you the most. Look around for some communities to join, in SL and outside of SL IE blenderartist.org, 3dtotal.com etc

Anyhow, I'm in-world a lot if you have any questions. Just go look at some basic tutorials, getting into mesh takes time and dedication. If you don't put anything in don't expect much out! Best of luck and work hard!

Yeah I had the same thing with 3dsmax when I was in school. Just becareful to keep in mind you cna't make a profit off them in anyway. Also as a former computer animation student I'm just going to tell you that while you may want to make something now it will take a while before you can make something more cfomplex then say a pencil or simple computer keyboard.

I don't think "user friendly" applies to any of these programs if you are a beginner.  From everything I've read, out of that list of software available to you, Maya is industry standard for animation, so it would make sense that you devote your time learning that particular piece of software first and foremost.    Eventually you will want to learn your way around all of these programs to enhance your marketable skills in the industry.  But put first things first.

I'm familiar with Blender, LIghtwave, Modo, Zbrush, Mudbox and Poser.  None are easy and none are easier then the others although  I do favor certain programs over others.  A gazillion other people will feel exactly opposite to the way I do re: ease of use.

• Like 1

Most user friendly for novice? None and all! Pick one and stick with it! For rigging in this order (personal opinion best to worst) blender,maya,max! I recomend blender becouse of fiew reasons....1.st its free 2.nd it has tons of tutorials ment specififly for SL mesh and rigging 3.rd did i mention its free...

There is no best and worst or most user friendly program for annything,you have pick one and learn it,dont skip from one to nother cos that will only confuse you and you learn nothing!

As much as I'm a huge advocate of Blender, Oni stated he is going to school to become a professional in CG.  First of all, all these programs he mentioned ARE free or practically free  for him  since he's a student.  But more importantly, as much as we can argue that Blender can stand up against all the other commercial programs, realistically the people who will hire him are looking for MAYA skills and not Blender skills.   Trying to learn with Blender as a beginner and then switching to Maya for class instruction would only be confusing.

• Like 1

To take Nacy's idea one step further, research the companies that you would want to work for down the road. See what they use and pick the most popular. Also, check with other students and see who the best teachers are. If you have to choose between programs and one instructor is way better than the other (and we know that happens) then go with the best instructor with one of the professional programs.

I use Blender. It is free and I don't have $3500 to spend on software but I am not planning on a real life career in 3D :D.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.