Running on ultra

Kate Barracuda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop, all is great and I can run SL on ultra settings with no lag :D However a few people told me that if I keep it on those settings, the graphics card will burn out. Is this right? Don't really wanna turn it down :( I'm not a heavy user, I only go on once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a time. Thanks for the help!

If the computer was engineered correctly, with adequate cooling for the components they built into it, this should not be a problem. Keep the computer's vents clean, don't try any careless overclocking experiments, and all should be fine. Thre are lots of little utilities around that can monitor the temperature of the video and other components, you might want to grab one of those and see how things look, if you want to put your mind at ease.

kryptic Zarco wrote:

I have a cheap 300$ laptop I run ultra on with 100 fps havnt ever had a issue and I hardly ever clean my vents its about making sure you dont over head if your computer is super hot stop running graphic heavy things its as simple as that
:D

Those 100fps are in a crowded place with 40 avatars and not in your skybox I suppose... ;)

You might want to post what kind of computer that is, for 300 bucks it must have fallen off a truck, since my graphics card or CPU alone costs more than your entire computer. In crowded places I often only get 20-25 fps. In a simple skybox it can go over 200.

@OP

Like others said, just keep an eye on the temperatures. Depending on your card you should keep it under 70-80 C or something. You might want to look up the number recommended by the vendor of the card. For laptops a cooling pad would help a lot keeping the temps down.

Your timing must have been perfect to get that kind of machine for that kind of price. I would expect that to cost double.Did you have to cash in any kind of rewards, or fill out a ton of rebates?

Also, can you please post a link to where you bought your computer at? That is an amazing price for an i7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.