How do I create a hologram?

VauhnHelfer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have seen these 1 prim objects. They look the same at all angles. I want to use a lantern texture I made but it looks flat. I need it to look like a lantern at all angles. Lindal Kidd, here is a link to a 1 prim rose vase hologram which looks the same at all angles. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Red-Roses-in-Red-Vase-1-Prim-Hologram-Giftable/4450884

[UPDATE] I just found out how this rose bush was made: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Dvandva-avBuilder-26-1-prim-full-perm-AnyView-objects-signs-plants-etc/1266775

6 answers to this question

Are you sure they are one prim objects?  You can get an illusion of a three dimensional object from two dimensional prims xy intersecting two or three of them in an X shape.  A lot of plants are made this way.

Or possibly the object you want is a sculpty?

EDIT:  Wow, that's an interesting effect...I hadn't seen it before.  I've no idea how it's done.

Well, i's not really a hologram, but that's a clever way to market it. We used to have to make those as Val says by intersecting two or three thin prims. You can do much better with sculpties, and now with mesh, which allows you to use up to 8 distinct faces. The "holographic" effect in all cases takes advantage of the alpha sorting that drives many people in SL nuts. Done well, though, it produces a very convincing effect.

This seems different, Rolig. The effect is of a two dimensional image that turns so that it is always facing you, no matter what angle it's viewed from...very odd, if you you try looking at it from, say, the top. The object itself is a a simple, transparent, truncated cone, but you don't see that. The image spreads beyond the edges of the prim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.