Anyone having to log in multiple times?

Nuhai Ling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here is a problem that has been getting worse over the last couple of months for me. I log into secondlife.com to see my account. Then I go into the forums like this, read, and decided to respond or post something. When I press reply I am sent back to log in. Then I am sent back to the main forum page and have to come all the way back to the thread.

Lately though it has been extending to everything in secondlife.com. If I want to see my ticket history I have to log in again (and its not loading at all now for some reason). If I want to manage my lindens I need to relog. It just keeps going from there...

The only thing that comes to mind is what I thought was a stupid comment made by a Linden over a year ago. They suggested I download Firefox or Google Chrome as my browser since they "don't program their site to work with every browser like Internet Explorer." Is there any truth to this?

Anyone having the same problems lately? Give me thy wisdom oh knowledgeable forums! :matte-motes-big-grin:

this have something to do with IE being pretty strict with cookies and session keys I think. it used to happen to me a lot

like you say log into SL forums then make a post and then have to relog to do that then relog again. over and over for each post

when I switch to IE 9 on WIn 7 with all upgrades. and now IE 10 on Win8 then the problems went away. before that i used to have to clear cookies and cache just about everytime before i came on SL anything web

It is true that IE is not the best user friendly browser for the SL website. This is not new. Firefox has always worked much better, and it is especially true for the marketplace. Using either Firefox or Chrome, I do have to log in twice sometimes (but not always): a first time to log to "secondlife.com", and a second time to login the forums. The multiple requested logins you are talking about are not a normal behavior. "Try Firefox or Chrome"!!! :D:P

It is true that as IE is supplied with the operating system that there are global rules on what it can do, so it can't download selling stuff and some cookies, but as firefox or chrome are not supplied with the operating system then they have a much wider brief and can put stuff on your machine that IE is not allowed to do, I would never trust a site that said don't use IE, as I know IE is one of the only browsers that HAS to protect us, so use firefox and chrome at your own risk and never trust a company that says you have to use them and not IE.

Let's see. Android ICS. Lumiya viewer. Dolphin-viewer for forums.

Nope. No trouble here.

ETA : Goes for Chrome for Android too. And Puffin Browser. Opera.

Funny. Only Firefox seems to have trouble with forum menu's, but logging on/off went ok.

Unable to test IE for Android. :) 

There was a time when I could log into my.secondlife.com, then go to the Forum and be signed in here as well (it wouldn't show me signed in, but clicking 'Sign In' would pop my name up without having go to the actual sign in page). That doesn't happen any more and hasn't for quite a while.

If I sign into my.secondlife I will find myself signed in at MP and at my dashboard, but I always have to sign in for the forum. It's consistent for me so it's not a bother. I use IE, by the way.

All this stuff has been going on ever since the switch to Lithium.

A constant barrage of various log in problems.

I really think it is caused by the way the three separate services are maintained.

As far as my experience (and everyone elses I've read), If you start with no cookies, logging into the Market Place or The Forums will not automatically log you into the other or your Dash Board.  So the data in those cookies must be different than the data in the cookies when you log into the Dash Board.

I've never dug this deep to look what cookies are being saved in my browser, but I think what happens is that you are winding up with multiple cookies and because they have different info in them our browsers wind up confused which to use.  E.g., A cookie is created when you log into the Dash Board.  You go to the Forum or Marketplace That cookie tells those sections it's OK for you to be there but also a new cookie particular to those two areas are created  but they have a different permissions.  And then the conflicts start.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I've never dug this deep to look what cookies are being saved in my browser, but I think what happens is that you are winding up with multiple cookies and because they have different info in them our browsers wind up confused which to use.  E.g., A cookie is created when you log into the Dash Board.  You go to the Forum or Marketplace That cookie tells those sections it's OK for you to be there but also a new cookie particular to those two areas are created  but they have a different permissions.  And then the conflicts start.

that sounds like its true. so I go with your idea (:

It's interesting to look at the paths for the different login screens. The ones for MP, Second Life, and my.secondlife all include a 'return to' of the place you started—MP, Second Life, or my.secondlife. The sign in screen we reach from the Forum has a return to support.secondlife.com instead of community.secondlife.com/t5/forums, so there is at least something different about logging in here as opposed to the other places.

One good reason I can think of that is to help with spammers: this is the only place someone can log in and start communicating. That might explain why being already logged into one of the read-only sites doesn't buy you a thing here.

ETA duh. The Feed is hardly read-only, so I guess that part of my premise was totally worthless.

Thinkerer Melville wrote:

The only thing I  know is that I am using Chrome and don't have those problems.  I do have to log into the forums to post a response, after I restart Windows.  Then, if I check
remember me on this compute
r, it does remember my until I restart Windows again. 

TKR

Same thing here and I use Firefox.  The only time I have to re-log is for the forums, although for me there's no rhyme no reason.  Sometimes the "remember me" check will last even after a PC reboot; other times if I return to the forums after leaving it for a half hour.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

It's interesting to look at the paths for the different login screens. The ones for MP, Second Life, and my.secondlife all include a 'return to' of the place you started—MP, Second Life, or my.secondlife. The sign in screen we reach from the Forum has a return to support.secondlife.com instead of community.secondlife.com/t5/forums, so there is at least something different about logging in here as opposed to the other places.

One good reason I can think of that is to help with spammers: this is the only place someone can log in and start communicating. That might explain why being already logged into one of the read-only sites doesn't buy you a thing here.

to the best of my remembrance it always worked that way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.