Why not have Groups on the website ?

Miserlie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why can't we also have groups on the website it seems like it would be easier to control and organize instead of getting a thousand pop ups from all sorts of groups. I seriously spend 1 hour + trying to find the group inviter script in a store and its really time wasting when a bunch of people are there. Like for example group gifts should be able to be uploaded just like on marketplace via group (on its on special label ofcourse) and could be sent to you inworld. It can also be used as a little small onsite blog and owners and group moderaters can customize the group with photo's and its own skin and such.

Pros:

Easy to control/ Organize

Easier to Contact Members

Easy to get updates

Easy to get Group gift (if not able to log in or another reason)

Could be used as an alternative blog.

Creators can feature their products

etc...

Cons:

I haven't thought of any.

Instead of spending an hour searching for a group inviter just look the group up in search and join from there.  That takes just a minute or so.

If you miss a group gift sent out in the group notices, you just have to look at the group's notice history and can get  your copy.  How would having to go to a web site be any easier?  I also don't want automatic delivery.  I want to be able to choose what inventory items I accept from a group because I don't necessarily want everthing they send.

I get all the contact I need from groups in world.  In fact I have most of the shut off and get the news in other things at my convenience by checking the notice histories. I don't need or want them contacting me any other way.

Being on a web site as opposed to just available in world to people that have clients may also present some security issues.  Not everyone wants the world to know what groups they belong to in SL.  Yes there could be a sign in for the group, but we all know that web sites can be hacked. 

Miserlie wrote:

Why can't we also have groups on the website...

Create a JIRA issue.

I seriously spend 1 hour + trying to find the group inviter script in a store and its really time wasting when a bunch of people are there.

Did you ever think about using search to find a group? Or looking at the creator/merchant's profile to find it? I can't imagine spending an hour looking for anything.

It can also be used as a little small onsite blog and owners and group moderaters can customize the group with photo's and its own skin and such.

This is sounding very MySpace/Facebook-y.

I'm very much in favour of groups on a website, it negates the need to have notecards and landmarks for events as they're on the group page, it could provide more information than a group notice currently does.

Going to a group page on a website takes no more steps than going to a group page inworld now, it's just extending profile functionality to groups.

This is something I'd love to see Linden Lab roll out.

Miserlie wrote:

Why can't we also have groups on the website it seems like it would be easier to control and organize instead of getting a thousand pop ups from all sorts of groups. I seriously spend 1 hour + trying to find the group inviter script in a store and its really time wasting when a bunch of people are there. Like for example group gifts should be able to be uploaded just like on marketplace via group (on its on special label ofcourse) and could be sent to you inworld. It can also be used as a little small onsite blog and owners and group moderaters can customize the group with photo's and its own skin and such.

Pros:

Easy to control/ Organize

Easier to Contact Members

Easy to get updates

Easy to get Group gift (if not able to log in or another reason)

Could be used as an alternative blog.

Creators can feature their products

etc...

Cons:

I haven't thought of any.

There are many groups & clubs as well as Content providers that maintain their own websites.

Here's a great one.  http://junkyardblues.com/

Thank you for raising this matter, Miserlie. And thanks to Ciaran Laval for the lead on this thread. I have been advocating web groups for quite a while, as I did in this post on July 17, 2011.

I'll recap here some of the advantages web groups could offer:

• A web page as a front-end with some degree of customization for group presentation.
  • A blog for group notices. Social networks should be integrated in it so that all notices can be automatically broadcasted. Of course, all new notices should be automatically delivered to group members as notices do today, but I would consider a subscription system for people who wants to receive automatic updates without being members.
  • A wiki to store information, images, files.
  • A forum with public and private sections. Having sections would be ideal to cover different needs in the same group, such as a private section for group officers. This could also be organized as an information stream the way Facebook or Google Plus work.
  • Group owners should have the ability to make the group visible on the web.

Think of the advantages: revamped groups could be excellent, more effective promotional and social tools, not only inworld but also on the web. There are literally thousands of groups in Second Life covering all kind of topics which could attract new prospective users and better promote the myriads of activities carried on in Second Life. Could there be a better way to show what Second Life is and how people use it than opening this massive amount of information to the web? The wiki and forum (or info stream) could also relieve group chats by part of the load stress they suffer today.

I find it surprising that LL has not considered this opportunity so far.

Put group notices into the my.secondlife.com system would be ideal. It would enable them to have a more structure calendaring. Right now - when you open the antiquated interface, the notices are sorted by day and not time. This makes social groups, such as a group for announcing places with events for certain music styles, very difficult to use.

It would also eliminate the need to have group notices put into the 'IM stack' - where you can get IM capped just because one group you were in decided to do 40 announcements that day of "OMG this DJ rawks wet sloppy meeroos! Huggs every and TP ur BFFs Nao!!! [assorted ascii art here]"...

- and I'm being tame for those kinds of groups...

(And even a normal group can flip for a day and suddenly get infect by that kind of spam...)

A web interface for them makes a lot more sense, and could then bee hooked back into SL the same way profiles are - popping up through the inworld browser.

This would lower the overhead groups have on SL, as they would not need to be loaded within SL anymore, so you could remove limits on how many people can join.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

A web interface for them makes a lot more sense, and could then bee hooked back into SL the same way profiles are - popping up through the inworld browser.

This would lower the overhead groups have on SL, as they would not need to be loaded within SL anymore, so you could remove limits on how many people can join.

Agreed and people have for quite some time been suggesting that social groups should be a separate beast to land groups,moving social groups to a web based interface moves in that direction.

I am totally for this; however, not if the list of group members will be show. If it lists group members, I can only imagine the spam it would generate on top of the in-world normal notices. Also, the ability to see/read texture and notecard attchments would be an added plus.

This is a great idea. Who knows... maybe its what's needed to jump start the underutilized my.secondlife pages.

Xmara Lundquist wrote:

I am totally for this; however, not if the list of group members will be show. If it lists group members, I can only imagine the spam it would generate on top of the in-world normal notices. Also, the ability to see/read texture and notecard attchments would be an added plus.

This is a great idea. Who knows... maybe its what's needed to jump start the underutilized my.secondlife pages.

Actually I would consider it another reason to BURY those pages.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.