Limited choice of Linden Homes

MusicalBoatman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I am a new member here on SL and thought I would like to obtain a premium account and buy a Linden Home. For the past few evenings I have teleported to the Meadowboook infohub and looked at many new empty properties in various styles of design. I thought I would prefer one with a balcony, but when I decided to purchase only 3 designs are available none with balconies.

A video produced by LL shows there ARE more Meadowbrook designs, and the amount of empty new properties I have seen confirms this. So why are they not being made available ?

Very confused and disappointed, guess I may stay homeless.  :matte-motes-crying:

This changes all the time.

And you will not be homeless at all.

If you don´t like the linden home you get, you can give up the land and choose another one.

This works 5 times a day.:-)

And the next day at different times you will get much more linden homes to choose from.

Have fun!

There are a limited number of Linden homes of each style available at any given time. If all of one style is chosen, that style becomes unavailable until someone abandons one, or until the Lindens create more of that style. Which means that if the style you want is unavailable, you have to wait. You can choose another style in the meantime, and abandon it once the one you want becomes available. You can abandon your home and choose another up to five times a day, so you don't have to be homeless while you wait for the one you want.

Chances are that the homes you see that are empty are actually owned by someone who just hasn't furnished it.  A lot of people have a linden home where they go just to change clothes or rez out boxes to open etc. and don't actually 'live' there in the traditional sense.

Some folks also have them because they are premium members and are entitled to have one, but actually own larger homes on private estates.  I have friends that are like that.  They keep the Linden Home in case they ever need it for themselves, or allow friends who need a temporary home to use them.  Others use them to hold servers or boxes of backup inventory items.  You may just not see the boxes or they may be hidden from sight.

If someone abandons their home it will become available to others, but there may be a time period between abandonment and when it is made available to others. Not sure what the time period may be, if any.

Best advice is as others have said.  Continue to look at the sign up page several times a day until one becomes available in the style you want.  In the meantime you can get a home to use, then abandon it and get the one you want when there are styles or locations that you like better available.

Many thanks to all who have replied to my plight. I was allocated a home which I quite like and is nicely situated. I have started to furnish it, and already used up the parcel land capacity of 117. It certainly doesn't take long, with just a few items to use that up in a Linden Home. Guess I'm learning fast !    :matte-motes-agape:

You're right; 117 prims don't go far! It's one why many people who have premium accounts still choose to find land elsewhere, rather than using their Linden home. Try looking for low-prim furniture - there's quite a bit out there for this reason! It is very, very easy to use up 117 prims with just a single piece of furniture, if you're not careful.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

If someone abandons their home it will become available to others, but there may be a time period between abandonment and when it is made available to others. Not sure what the time period may be, if any.

Just happened on a Meadowbrook last night that had been claimed by Governor Linden a little after 7pm, yet more then an hour later it still wasn't showing up on the website.  I checked on it this morning and it had been claimed by someone 1:30am this morning.  I don't think the Meadowbrooks sit unclaimed for very long, so in this case it looks like it took more then six hours for the house to become available on the website.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.