Lining up shirt sleaves is such a pain.

NdaCloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I know I'm new to SL shirt making, but I just can't see why they have designed these templates they way they have.  It is such a pain to line up the front of a shirt sleave with the back.  Personally, I blame the templates.  It's easy to do the neck, I got that perfect the first time since they give you lines that you can follow when you do the neck.  But there is no guide lines for doing the sleaves.  There is some lines on the arm template but they are not straight across, and the lines on the front of the arm don't seem to line up with the back of the arm.  I did download the SL Clothes Previewer but seems like a lot of work going back and forth between programs trying to fix the problem.  Anybody have a way of making this process easier?

Thank you

I agree. It is a pain.

Lining up the sides, where the front and back meet on each side, can be difficult, but RL tops usually have a seam on each side, so patterns don't match at that point in RL. Same with where the sleeves meet the torso. However, in RL there is usually only one seam going down the length of a sleeve. In SL there are two. So patterns should match on at least one of them. As you point out, that is difficult. For me, it requires a lot of trial and error. I haven't tried the SL Clothes Previewer yet, I will give that a try.

Mary Beth

Okay, not sure if this trick will help you are not. 

Set-up a starter template with your Front, Back and sleeves each on a different layer....set them as base template layers. If you do  this way you can line up sleeves, fronts, backs much easier and more quickly, although you will need to continue to adjust till perfect.   Once you have a specific fit that is correct, copy the perfect layer...and cut/copy it from the upper template later to create a template for next time you need the same type of sleeve.

Become one with your "nudge" function in your graphics editor..."nudge generally moves up 1 pixel more or less at a time (will depend on your software) in up/down/sidways movement.  

Take advantage of using the beta grid.  Learn how to use local textures as well. If you don't know how to use the local texturing feature, there is a great class that teaches you how at Builders Brewery.

well, id say that all you need is precison and use the zoom in your software for being extremly precise and then practice a lot. Everything comes with a lot of work and patience.

On a side note, id like to know what about your hem problem. It would have been nice to come back to your thread about the hem problem and let know the pp who have nicely tried to help you if you tried some of the advices and what did happened then. I rem i even sent you inworld one of my tops with edges for you can see what it can be inworld, and you didnt took only one minute for a simple thanks. People here are always glad to help, but they are also glad when the op come back and say what worked or no and maybe sometimes a lil thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Trinity.  Didn't mean to seem ungrateful or inconsiderate.  You are right, I probably should respond more to what other people say on my posts.  They do after all take the time to try to help me.  And you definitely put time into your responses too, even given me an example of a hem on SL.  Thank you.  That hem was perfect btw. 

I haven't even tried to make a hem yet.  I guess I made that post too early.  I still haven't gotten any good at doing the sleeves, so I figure I better get that down first.  I don't really enjoy doing it, so I'm kind of draging it out, not working on it everyday.  I don't even understand what the heck any of them are even saying on my post about  hems, it's all over my head.  I know you probably would have showed me how to do a hem, but it sounds intimidating.  I was afraid I would have a hard time following a long, especially with you using a different graphics program.  I don't even know what I'm doing in my own graphics program. 

awww, ive never thought it could be intimidating, but now you say it, i know what you mean. 

Maybe i can help you with your sleeve problem... if you need help do not hesitate to contact me anytime (im frenchtime zone, but on sunday and monday im online all my days long). If you are using photoshop i may help you step by step, if you are using gimp, ive forgoten it a lil, but i may remember and give you some advices... 

and do not be intimidated lol, we have all started one day, so we all have been at the level you are now, there is no shame about this. And we keep learning all along our life :smileywink:

hugs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.