looking for...

Obsidian47

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am looking for a script or device that will prevent people from peering into a skybox or house by using their camera, I am not sure what this would be called but have seen them around on rentals and want to know how I can get one for myself. Any idea what its called or where I can find it?

4 answers to this question

It's called buying a private sim with water around it, or at least one with no access except by whitelist.  You can do almost as well by checking the option in About Land >>> Options that prevents avatars on other parcels from seeing in and chatting with avatars on your parcel.  That's what I do on my own parcel.  My neighbors can't tell when I'm sunbathing.  The best they can do is see my green dot on the sim map. The problem is that if you don't do one of those things, then anyone who can get within his own camera range will always be able to see in.  There's no way to stop that with a scripted tool.

• Like 1

Obsidian,

For all practical purposes, if you lease a parcel on a Region, other than preventing walkers by / flyers by from entering your parcel your options are limited to these privacy options:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-deal-with-abuse-and-harassment/ta-p/1339983

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Privacy-concerns/ta-p/1330785

• Like 1

There is no way to do this for skybox rentals, those things you see use an old trick with invisiprims that bend light. They are not reliable people will still be able to cam inside the safety area. As said by the others the only way is to have your own piece of land, then you can use the land privacy settings that is server side and will not allow anyone to cam inside your parcel, well they can but all avatars inside the parcel will not be rendered.

EDIT: hehe Lindal is right, but whenever I think of skyboxes I think of those skybox rental places that have 3 or 4 skyboxes on the same parcel. So yea if there is more than one skybox in the parcel like one at 1000m another at 2000m etc, it will not work because the people on the same parcel will be able to cam on your skybox. The best answer is to get your own piece of land, be it rented or purchased on mainland.

• Like 1

Yes, there IS a way.

Ask your landlord if she will set privacy on the parcel your skybox is on.  It's in About Land/Soptions, a check box that says something like "avatars outside this parcel can see and hear avatars inside the parcel"

When left un-checked, avatars outside your parcel can see you on radar, but cannot cam to you, and cannot see you with their camera or hear your local text chat.  (and vice versa, you can't see them.)

If there are multiple skyboxes on the same parcel of land, this will not provide privacy from residents in the other skyboxes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.