Why are my customers unable to modify mesh I provide them?

perfectslam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Note that rigged meshes can not be resized "directly" like static meshes or prims. However they still can react to the Avatar shape sliders to some extend. That is: All bone length changing shape sliders can have influence on the mesh scale. All other sliders do not influence the mesh.

And consequently if your Avatar  shape is not modifiable then there is indeed no chance to resize the rigged mesh while worn on the Avatar.

btw: The "Mesh deformer" project will allow many more shape sliders to modify the Mesh. But it is not yet clear when the project will be released. It is not even sure if it will ever be released.

They are avatar attachments, primarily because I don't want to have to make multiple sizes.  And also because rigged mesh boots are sort of pointless as there is only one joint.

I give the mesh to some people, it works fine.  Some people it doesn't work.  I'm suspecting this issue has something to do with the Singularity viewer that people use.  Those that use Firestorm and the LL one seem to never have this issue.

perfectslam wrote:

And also because rigged mesh boots are sort of pointless as there is only one joint.

Pointless?  Hmm... I love rigged mesh boots.  They bend in the ankle just like real boots do.  Rigging gives them very real behaviour.

Non rigged boots are stiff, with no 'life' in them.

I don't find rigged mesh footwear pointless.  I love it.  It moves with your body much more naturally than non rigged or sculpted shoes. I've even have people notice that and ask me in clubs why my prim feet and boots move better when I dance and aren't stiff like theirs are.  I actually won't buy mesh footwear that isn't rigged now.

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess they're not totally pointless, just not worth making multiple sized versions.  Until LL implements some form of deformation system for mesh, I'm sort of avoiding (I'll do one-off mesh creations, for example).

Now, again, uploaded mesh attachments I give/sell to people occassionally will refuse to resize.  They can move and rotate, but that's it.  Even when copies given are modify and copy enabled.  This is getting absolutely unacceptable.  I'm tired of having to reupload a mesh just so SL will allow resizing. 

I don't have a lot of customers, but the mesh attachments (mostly necklaces and such) I've made have all resized nicely, just as expected.  Sorry I can't offer you insight into what could be going on with yours.

I like them because I can take something that would have been a bunch of prims linked, do it as one mesh object, then resize them independently in x, y, z, to get the perfect fit.  Linksets only scale gracefully in all 3 dimensions at once.

Oh, and my two cents on footwear ---  You can't beat rigged mesh for thigh-highs, but I really can't see any practical difference when it comes to an ordinary pair of stilettos.  Except that attached mesh is a lot easier to resize.

With the help of some fine people over at Builder's Brewery, I do believe I found the issue.  It could be that the Second Life viewer isn't setting permissions on objects inside the inventory.  You may change an object's permissions to modify and copy but it may not always take even though the viewer says those permissions were now set.

**POSSIBLE SOLUTION**

The workaround is to rez the object in world and use the build menu to set the permissions there, then take the item back into inventory.  So far, it seems to have fixed the issue.

perfectslam wrote:

You may change an object's permissions to modify and copy but it may not always take even though the viewer says those permissions were now set.

I always give my items to either an alt or friend I can trust before putting it on sale. This way you don't only prevent your issue, but it also prevents the far more "dangerous" situation where you hand out scripts or other content, which took days, weeks or months to make, with full permissions by mistake.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.