Which was better, your RL Christmas or your SL Christmas?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heart Brimmer wrote:

Jumps up and applauds loudly!!! I absolutely agree with everything you said, Tari and I couldn't have said it better. 

For the record, Amie, this is my first Christmas without my sister who died of pancreatic cancer, and my mother who died of heart failure and had I NOT had SL to come into and be with friends there, this would have been a horrible time for me. I think YOU need to grow up and learn what it's really like to lose someone you loved dearly and then tell me it's sad to do what so many people on SL do.

Oh Heart!  I am so very sorry to hear this. *HUGS*  And yes, I am so thankful there is a SL to come to, make friends, etc. especially when, for any number of reasons, so many people cannot do the same in RL.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Heart Brimmer wrote:

Jumps up and applauds loudly!!! I absolutely agree with everything you said, Tari and I couldn't have said it better. 

For the record, Amie, this is my first Christmas without my sister who died of pancreatic cancer, and my mother who died of heart failure and had I NOT had SL to come into and be with friends there, this would have been a horrible time for me. I think YOU need to grow up and learn what it's really like to lose someone you loved dearly and then tell me it's sad to do what so many people on SL do.

Oh Heart!  I am so very sorry to hear this. *HUGS*  And yes, I am so thankful there is a SL to come to, make friends, etc. especially when, for any number of reasons, so many people cannot do the same in RL.

Hugs Czari, it HAS been hard but SL has been a haven for me and I'm sure many more who choose to keep their RL private. For me, I have no problem sharing parts of my RL with people especially when someone like the aforementioned poster can learn that not everything is black and white, especially in SL. *smiles*

Nice job Tari.

I have enormous respect and admiration for those who reach out in SL to others and build a loving community, family, or partnership, when there may be obstacles to doing so in RL. They have taken the initiative and gotten creative instead of just putting up with whatever RL holds. It is one thing to enjoy whatever has been dropped in your lap, another to make it happen through your own creative efforts.

Heart you have showed your choice of first name for SL is very apt. 

Very sorry to hear of your losses and Pamela said it very well. 

Many in SL do suffer, if the sampling of RL stories I have heard are any indication; but it is what is done with the suffering that makes the transcendant portion in a life story.

Melita Magic wrote:

Heart you have showed your choice of first name for SL is very apt. 

Very sorry to hear of your losses and Pamela said it very well. 

Many in SL do suffer, if the sampling of RL stories I have heard are any indication; but it is what is done with the suffering that makes the transcendant portion in a life story.

Thank you Melita. 

Yes, many DO suffer and believe me I also have heard my share of stories in SL and it breaks my heart BUT, they have chosen to make something wonderful in SL that they could NOT make happen in RL and that, in my opinion is what counts. I know content creators who have disabilities in RL BUT in SL they have made wonderful, incredible things. I marvel at what they are able to do. Some sell what they make and some simply give them to friends because that is who they are. Others, just give of their time and love, neither is more important, it's just different aspects of the diversity of SL, as well as RL. 

We all have something to share, something to give, if we can just get past the pettiness and let our inner light shine though. 

Happy New Year, Melita. May you always have sunshine on your face and strong winds at your back. Hugs!

Thank- you to everyone who shared their experiences of the Holidays in RL & SL. We in this virtual community come from all different kinds of RL lives, and I think sharing a bit of this helps us understand & appreciate each other.

Czari,

Your SL Posada tradition sounds wonderful. I think it's great when people have friendly, supportive communities & friendships in SL and when they find inventive ways of expressing their traditions & sense of community in SL.

In RL, my friends live too far way for me to go see them & my family has never been very warm & happy. At least in SL, we don't have family arguments around the dinner table. Though I guess that could make for interesting RP. lol  - I don't expect much for Christmas in RL or SL. I was happy to have a pleasant day with my mother & roommate in RL. I was happy to have a little holiday decor & virtual presents to open in SL. On the whole my holiday was ok, but it was better with SL than it would've been without SL.

Amie,

I won't rake you over the coals for your response because other people have already done that. I hope you can appreciate from the other posts people have made that not everyone is able to have happy holidays with their family & friends in RL, so SL provides them with an opportunity to share time & love with others in a virtual world.

Life is what we make of it. That goes for RL & SL. Often we get dealt crappy situations - such as poverty, disability, isolation or non-ideal families. The Norman Rockwell image of Christmas is unlikely to be possible for most of us. Yet we can still find blessings & joy in our lives.

I hope that as your life proceeds, you will learn to appreciate people from all different lifestyles & backgrounds, because our world is much richer for these different experiences of real life.

*Hugs* Heart too.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Even though I struggle with dealing with my mother at times, I'm grateful for the times when she's funny & we get along, and I try to make the most of the time I still have with her. I also lost my sister to cancer about 15 years ago, then my father about a year later.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.