Doctoral study!

RikBair23

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to do a study on post-secondary learner engagement using Second Life. I need a constructivist based instruction design that uses SL as part or all of the content delivery and engagement for the course. Please discuss with me if you have this scenario and would be interested in letting me perform a study on thoise students. Thanks!

Rik

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

AGAIN ???

Isn't there even still one of these on the first page.

Are universities so messed up now that they're sending ALL of their students to SL to study us like lab rats?

that post sounds more like he is only intirested in dos of us who got a edumacation, so you dont gotta worry.

ETA:  I bet he is smarmy enuff ta figur out wat tree words I typed in da googler.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Sadly I only have a doctorate... so yeah...

;)

I bet it wass a pain saving up all those cereal box tops to trade in for one.  It took me 4 years to save up all mine.

They don't take cereal box covers at the University of California. But I guess they do at Phoenix Online if you got one in 4 years with them. :matte-motes-tongue:

Now if you've got something about my opinions or points here you want to dispute go for it. But the character stuff, pretty much shows you have nothing. Unlike another I've been disputing today as well on another topic - at least she has an argument based on a topic, to which I've responded in kind. You just seem to want to belittle yourself with random snippery. I have no idea what's set you off...

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

;)

I bet it wass a pain saving up all those cereal box tops to trade in for one.  It took me 4 years to save up all mine.

They don't take cereal box covers at the University of California. But I guess they do at Phoenix Online if you got one in 4 years with them. :matte-motes-tongue:

Now if you've got something about my opinions or points here you want to dispute go for it. But the character stuff, pretty much shows you have nothing. Unlike another I've been disputing today as well on another topic - at least she has an argument based on a topic, to which I've responded in kind. You just seem to want to belittle yourself with random snippery. I have no idea what's set you off...

The Irony of this is Ironic.

The reaction you are getting is due to so many students wanting to use SL for their papers and being lazy and unprofessional by just coming to the forum and asking irrelevant questions that show they obviously know nothing about SL and expect us to do their work for them.  They don't even log into the world to even attempt serious research.  We are not lab rats to command like that. LOL.

I understand that you are looking for something much more serious.

Be aware that not all 'schools' in SL are legitimate in the sense they are real schools, There are a number of them that are roleplay schools for people that want to roleplay being kids or teenagers.  Avoid those. 

There are a number of serious educator groups in SL consisting of RL professors and professional instructors that use SL for RL educational purposes and distance learning.  Many of the RL schools in SL are not open to the public and so many people don't even realize they exist. There are however a number of groups that serious educators use for networking and exchanging best practices. Use search and type in education  The Educational community is very helpful and someone in one of those groups will know exactly what you are looking for and can give you a lot more information and perhaps direct you to a specific program that will meet your needs..

You can use the website to search for these groups, but can only join them or contact many of the people in them by going in world.  Once in world, if you are completely lost, IM me and I'll be happy to assist you.  I've worked with a few RL universiteis in SL through the company I own in world.  Good Luck on your research.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The reaction you are getting is due to so many students wanting to use SL for their papers and being lazy and unprofessional by just coming to the forum and asking irrelevant questions that show they obviously know nothing about SL and expect us to do their work for them.
  They don't even log into the world to even attempt serious research.  We are not lab rats to command like that. LOL.

I do hope that you are not trying to 'apologize' for me with this statement as I bolded it.

I am being quite serious here. The OP came here claiming to be doing a Doctoral Study and yet demonstrated that they had not even passed Internet 101 with their poorly written post.  They showed no understanding of Internet Communities and Forums in general.

Obviously the OP believes they are talking to adults.  They requested information regarding an adult topic from us.  Yet they posted their request to us with unprofessional language complete with typos:

"I am trying to do a study on post-secondary learner engagement using Second Life. I need a constructivist based instruction design that uses SL as part or all of the content delivery and engagement for the course. Please discuss with me if you have this scenario and would be interested in letting me perform a study on thoise students. Thanks!"

Maybe I am being hard here and maybe you are right.  While we love to help we do get tired of being looked at like lab rats.  We are not lab rats, we are people. Maybe I need to lighten up, but it is how I am feeling today.

Thanks

Perrie

Melita Magic wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I once
played
doctorate...he might have better luck finding that in Second Life than people who want to take his survey.

(NOT ANOTHER ONE CRAPPING FREAKING JEHOSEPHAT!!!!!)

PS but srsly. That is very cool. What in?

I loved playing doctor when I was a kid.  I especially loved being the patient while the girls poked and prodded me.  :)

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I wasn't trying to apologize for anyone. . I was just trying to explain the reaction.  I agree with what you say.  That's why I added the lab rat comment.  I guess I was feeling soft hearted when I replied.  I apologize to you if you got upset by that.  Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

Thank you. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I once
played
doctorate...he might have better luck finding that in Second Life than people who want to take his survey.

I loved playing doctor when I was a kid.  I especially loved being the patient while the girls poked and prodded me. 
:)

I preferred to do the poking and prodding, myself. I would have thought as an alien life form you would have had to practice **bleep** probes and whatnot.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I once
played

I loved playing doctor when I was a kid.  I especially loved being the patient while the girls poked and prodded me. 
:)

I preferred to do the poking and prodding, myself. I would have thought as an alien life form you would have had to practice **bleep** probes and whatnot.

Even on Mars, unsolicited poking is a crime.

Since one of your comments touched on my post (indirectly) I'll explain it.

I thought the OP was ludicrous. Not just the fact that it was Pure Professional Educator Jargon (which in my opinion is the most nauseating jargon of all) but that the entire idea was silly at best. For that reason I dismissed it with my suggestion of Hillcrest College.

Later I saw a response that indicated the OP took my suggestion seriously, even after doing some research. That tells me all I need to know about the worthiness of this particular academic endeavor.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Since one of your comments touched on my post (indirectly) I'll explain it.

I thought the OP was ludicrous. Not just the fact that it was Pure Professional Educator Jargon (which in my opinion is the most nauseating jargon of all) but that the entire idea was silly at best. For that reason I dismissed it with my suggestion of Hillcrest College.

Later I saw a response that indicated the OP took my suggestion seriously, even after doing some research. That tells me all I need to know about the worthiness of this particular academic endeavor.

It read more like a whim than a thought out proposal.

And just for the record, I am very supportive of using Virtual Worlds as a tool for educational outreach.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4202 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.