Wrong permissions sent?

MuffinUnsane1488303563

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

MuffinUnsane wrote:

This has happened twice to me and I'm starting to wonder. I've had two purchases sent out with no permissions. Since I sell fullperm its kinda a hassle. Is there any reason it could be happening? I've double and triple checked the permissions on the MP and they are all good. 

I do recall a thread on these forums about this issue - I need to research that as well.  I was contacted by a customer today who purchased a mod/copy item from me.  There is a no-mod animation in the item, thus the item will have the mod permission box grayed out, but the item itself is modifiable.

The customer said that she could not modify the item at all.  I pulled the item out of my MB, pulled the item out of the box, rezzed it and, sure enough, mod was unchecked.  I put the mod perms back, took item into inventory - checked to see that the mod perms had "stuck" - then reboxed it.  Boxing it seems to be when the mod box is grayed out.  Before replacing the item back on the MP I rezzed a copy to make sure that I could, indeed, make modifications.  To double check, I sent it to my alt.

My alt could not modify it in any way, even though I had sent a mod copy to the alt.  I've pulled the item until I figure this out and am in the process of assisting my customer.  I am so grateful she made me aware of this issue.  I sure hope every one of my mod/copy MP items is having this issue.  Gah!

ETA: ACK!  I meant "I sure hope every one of my mod/copy MP items is not having this issue."

This happened to me last week. I had released a new gown collection the week prior. Basically, I set the permissions on the Master (rezzed inworld and perms properly set; double checked with my store alt; everything ok), then proceeded to do all the color variations (applying the different textures).

So, a week passes and the gowns are selling. No problems, no customer reports of any problems. Then I get an im from a good customer and she says one of the items is no copy, no mod, no transfer. I check my Master file, everything is fine there and the way I originally set the perms. Then I go to the store and buy the box she bought - inside there was one of the objects with changed permissions - exactly as she reported to me. Of course I took care of her immediately and corrected the item that was for sale. I checked every single other color variation and every single one was fine. I can't figure out how the perms could have changed on one item (the full outfit has about 30 pieces and it comes in 20 colors - lol, out of 600 pieces, all set from the same Master - one decided to change perms).

Ack, sorry about not searching first. 

I'm halfway glad to see others have this problem. Of course, that also means its something a tad more worse hahaha.

I guess I'm lucky that customers have told me so far and have been polite about it. I hate promising and not being able to delivar. I'll do a search and see what I can find. 

MuffinUnsane wrote:

I'm halfway glad to see others have this problem. Of course, that also means its something a tad more worse hahaha.

I guess I'm lucky that customers have told me so far and have been polite about it. I hate promising and not being able to delivar.
I'll do a search and see what I can find. 

Yes, this is my greatest concern - the customers who don't contact us/merchants and are unhappy with the purchase for good reason since, for them, it appears the merchant misrepresented their product.  At least I've been alerted to it and can now do some checking on my other products.

Another thing that is troubling, while this may be a MP issue, and both DD and MB users have indicated this happening so we can't narrow it to the delivery method: when I sent the second test item to my alt, *after* resetting the permissions correctly, I did not purchase the item from the MP with the alt.  I sent the corrected item directly to the alt via transfer (dropped it into the profile of the alt, then signed in with alt to retrieve it).  When alt rezzed the item, the permissions had fallen off...again.  During an item transfer in world!

@Pamela - I may be standing next to you at the bullseye in the shooting range if this is more than an isolated (ie. one or two items) issue. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

MuffinUnsane wrote:

I guess I'm lucky that customers have told me so far and have been polite about it. I hate promising and not being able to delivar.
I'll do a search and see what I can find. 

Yes, this is my greatest concern - the customers who don't contact us/merchants and are unhappy with the purchase for good reason since, for them, it appears the merchant misrepresented their product.  At least I've been alerted to it and can now do some checking on my other products.

Another thing that is troubling, while this may be a MP issue, and both DD and MB users have indicated this happening so we can't narrow it to the delivery method: when I sent the second test item to my alt, *after* resetting the permissions correctly, I did not purchase the item from the MP with the alt.  I sent the corrected item directly to the alt via transfer (dropped it into the profile of the alt, then signed in with alt to retrieve it).  When alt rezzed the item, the permissions had fallen off...again.  During an item transfer in world!

@Pamela - I may be standing next to you at the bullseye in the shooting range if this is more than an isolated (ie. one or two items) issue. 

Czari, in my case, this isn't related to the Marketplace at all. I haven't listed these outfits on the MP. This happened inworld. To the contents of the simple box set for sale. As I said, none of the other 599 objects changed permissions, just this one. And they were all based on the same Master which has proper permissions and continues to have proper permissions.

I was going to submit a support ticket and file a jira (for whatever that is worth now) but decided to research a bit first to get all my ducks in a row.  I discovered this is an old issue and, now that I think about it, I had heard of it but since I hadn't personally been hit with it, the info was filed in the back recesses of my brain.

You're right, Arwen; it is not a MP issue or even an in world vendor issue, although it can seem like it due to the nature of this permission-changing bug - the permissions change when an item is rezzed.  What piqued my curiosity was this occuring during a simple transfer to another avatar.

Using Google I found this thread on SLU that covers the issue well.  There is also reference within the thread for a way to debug permissions.  This involves something called a "slam bit."  I've read this wiki and the SLU threads a couple of times and still digesting it.  I plan to go through all my items *sighs* and set permissions as suggested.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I was going to submit a support ticket and file a jira (for whatever that is worth now) but decided to research a bit first to get all my ducks in a row.  I discovered this is an old issue and, now that I think about it, I had heard of it but since I hadn't personally been hit with it, the info was filed in the back recesses of my brain.

You're right, Arwen; it is not a MP issue or even an in world vendor issue, although it can seem like it due to the nature of this permission-changing bug - the permissions change when an item is rezzed.  What piqued my curiosity was this occuring during a simple transfer to another avatar.

Using Google I found
thread on SLU that covers the issue well.  There is also reference within the thread for a way to
  This involves something called a "slam bit."  I've read this wiki and the SLU threads a couple of times and still digesting it.  I plan to go through all my items *sighs* and set permissions as suggested.

In my case, it's not slam bit and it's not about the item being rezzed. I always set permissions inworld (to avoid slam bit). In the box, the permissions show as no copy, no modify, no transfer. It's something different...no idea why it happened, but I keep watching. So far, this is the only instance of it changing on its own.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Using Google I found
thread on SLU that covers the issue well.  There is also reference within the thread for a way to
  This involves something called a "slam bit."  I've read this wiki and the SLU threads a couple of times and still digesting it.  I plan to go through all my items *sighs* and set permissions as suggested.

In my case, it's not slam bit and it's not about the item being rezzed. I always set permissions inworld (to avoid slam bit). In the box, the permissions show as no copy, no modify, no transfer. It's something different...no idea why it happened, but I keep watching. So far, this is the only instance of it changing on its own.

Well gah!  After I read about always setting permissions on rezzed items (I think within these forums awhile back) I make sure I do that now, but can't say conclusively I've done that with all my items, especially those on the MP.  But if this is a whole other animal...just hoping it's VERY rare.  Thanks Arwen. :)

I have occasionally had it happen - a mod/xfer item loses a permission or both. It's been going on since back into XStreet days, for unknown reasons.

It happens when the permissions bits are changed in the part of a database that represents that object, but it's not a problem anyone has been able to duplicate yet, which means it's not fixable yet.  As soon as someone can say, "When the moon is in the seventh house, and the bits are set in this order after having been in that order, and the information is saved on the 473rd clock tick of a millisecond timer, they change to nocopy/nomod every 17th transaction"  ... then they can start checking what is strange about each of the conditions make it happen.

The best you can do is make sure all perms are set on a rezzed object, then take it into inventory and put it into the box or send it to the marketplace.

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

I have occasionally had it happen - a mod/xfer item loses a permission or both. It's been going on since back into XStreet days, for unknown reasons.

It happens when the permissions bits are changed in the part of a database that represents that object, but it's not a problem anyone has been able to duplicate yet, which means it's not fixable yet.  As soon as someone can say, "When the moon is in the seventh house, and the bits are set in this order after having been in that order, and the information is saved on the 473rd clock tick of a millisecond timer, they change to nocopy/nomod every 17th transaction"  ... then they can start checking what is strange about each of the conditions make it happen.

The best you can do is make sure all perms are set on a rezzed object, then take it into inventory and put it into the box or send it to the marketplace.

Too true, unfortunately.  The bizarre (or more bizarre) part of this is that when I rezzed an item, set correct perms, sent it directly (unboxed) to my alt, when alt rezzed it the perms had changed.  Did not take it into a box, put it into a vendor...nada.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.