Do you remember this one?

Six Igaly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Holy crap! Today, that thing would cost probably $1500 given inflation. I mean if cell phones were still like that.

Back then, I wonder if they EVER imagined that cell phones would get so small that you can easily lose one in your pocket. I mean who here hasn't said, "Shoot I forgot my phone!" and patted their pocket and said, "Oh there it is".

So I need to ask this - how much was monthly service back then? I know these days it varies from $20 to $100 a month depending on carrier and plan.

Just think - back then the only thing that phone did was make calls. No web, texting, apps etc...

Oh also - in today's jargon, does ANYone still call it a "cellular phone"? Heck, it is almost to the point where people just call it their "phone" Cellular phone system. Gyod.

I guess things change. I mean today it is not unusual to hear someone say, "Just take a picture of it with your phone"

How technology has changed.

so anyways - no one ever did say -

how much did service for cell phones cost back in the late 80's? Was it reasonable like today? I remember in the mid-90's how pretty much all plans were by the minute and for land lines, LD calls were considered cheap if they were only 10 sents a minute.

so does anyone know what it costed back then when this mostrosity was new in 89?

I don't have a cell phone right now. I had one in the past, never liked using it. The thing always felt ilke it was going to burn my ear off. Celebrities carry cell phones so they can pretend yelling into them when they don't want to be approached. I always found that hilarious. I wasn't about to approach them. So to me aside from being utilitarian at times, cell phones are often a symbol of pretentiousness and a too fast paced life.

I don't care if other people have them, though I do sometimes wonder at how we are tracked and filmed everywhere we go in modern life, and if people stop and think about that (cell phone, car gps, cameras in everything even 3DS player? why?) but y'know life is interesting, and it doesn't last forever, so I just enjoy the ride.

I don't like phones in general, but it's fun when the power goes out or a quake happens (not in itself) and I'm the only one with a land line and batteries around...function over form.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.