FPS Numbers

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was inworld for around five hours yesterday, and while I was in my little house catching up with messages and being involved with group chat, my average FPS was around 15-20.  A little later, I went exploring, and my average FPS was 7-15.  This is what I usually get on a Friday evening UK time. 

I did experience a couple of failed teleports, and some issues with my avatar not being able to drop attachments, but I think this is probably one of the current quirks and hopefully that will clear up after next week's deploy. 

Choppiness of viewer - not sure I know what you mean.  If you mean you keep going into "not responding", check your internet connection; I get that at peak times (ie when all the kids are home from school and clogging up the broadband service with FB and MSN! :matte-motes-sour: )

FPS is variable and depends on a lot of things; your CPU, your video card, your bandwidth, the settings in your viewer, and what is going on around you.

I have an AMD FX-6100 cpu, a GTX560 Ti video card, and cable modem with 12/2 down/upload internet. With my viewer set on high and draw distance set to 152m I get 20-25fps in a busy club or when I'm out shopping in busy stores ... and 70+ fps in quiet regions alone with nothing moving/going on. If I turn on shadows I get 12-15 fps in busy scenes and 30-35 fps in quiet scenes with lots of things to cast shadows.

Mew mew mewd mew mew :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

Standing in my house with my normal setting camera fixed, all texture loaded, 39fps. 14 if the window does not have focus.

TP to live show with 40 avis all dancing and moving and wearing clothes damn them , 2fps, maybe i get up to 7, derender all avis, then poof back to normal. Draw distance is always 64, never higher unless i am in super cant find that damn hunt item, rez the entire sim mood :)

Thats an old 8800GT which is definitly past its life date, and really should die to force me to get a new fast one :)

But if all you do is stand at home, change cloths, buy boxes and open them to try on more cloths, go to music shows and just sit there and dance, its more then enough for me.

I rez really fast, but i cannot have all the shaders turned on, and ambient Occlusion crashes me almost instantly. Anisotripic filtering has to be off, and Antialiasing is disabled. And landscaping, the type ith grass, and really nice painting look to it, makes my graphics card scream its brains out :)

FPS is different in different viewers. Singularity is really fast.

Anti-aliasing (AA) and Lighting & Shadows both make large differences in FPS rates.

With a Core2 Quad and GTX560Ti I range from 15 to 60+ FPS. I start with the basic HIGH graphics setting and tweak various settings from there. I usually try to override the viewer's and use the video cards AA. That is done in the nVidia control panel and by turning off AA in the viewer. But things change so fast in the SL viewers I have to keep checking which is faster.

Even at 7 or 8 FPS, Sun/Moon shadows and lots of avatars, I don't see the screen stutter. So, by choppy I suspect you mean  control lag, where the mouse and arrow keys become sluggish.

When one spins their avatar 360 while in one place, they are using viewer side only. So, that little dance seldom fails or jerks. Moving forward requires a server side update, but the viewer tries to anticipate what the server is going to tell it. A slow connection or server will cause the avatar to appear to move forward because the viewer side is faking it, then jerk back to a previous location when the server update arrives, its called rubberbanding. 

Watching the Viewer Stats (Ctrl-Shift-1) you can see most of the problems start when either ping goes high or the server FPS/PFPS goes low. If the server slows down, don't believe the ping numbers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.